Staying in the Premier League- a look at how much teams spent after promotion | Page 4 | Vital Football

Staying in the Premier League- a look at how much teams spent after promotion

From the Premier League- we can have four altogether if we have some from overseas
some being 2 then, thats quite surprising..
Theres various angles there for sure, Wed prob like to sign several prem players on loan and the top clubs have so many players to do that with.
however, then we really all would be nurseries for them so actually a low number prob makes sense.
I suppose we need to ensure squad sizes and academy spaces are limited somewhat too

So my point was that Pope had explained a few times what we could have, but the question kept coming up, I was trying to draw attention to Popes answer, I wasn't trying to get into anything more than that.

That being said, you know it's 'lessons' not 'lessens' right?
Aye, it was just a joke about Pope not being able to spell, as a school teacher not knowing the difference between lessons and lessens - not a real discussion comment - pretty purile I know ( but that’s how I am chap!)

Last edited:
Aye, it was just a joke about Pope not being able to spell, as a school teacher not knowing the difference between lessons and lessens - not a real discussion comment - pretty purile I know ( but that’s how I am chap!)
i used to frown and look down the millennials for being daft. Over the last few years of knowing Pope better tho, I tend to view them with a sympathetic understanding ;) haha

Great thread! I remember watching some of those £100m of players at Fulham and it was just like when spurs spent the Gareth Bale £80m fee on mostly a load of garbage.

In the championship players are cheaper but you can't afford them because of FFP unless you have parachute money. In the premier league the same player is an extra £10m as they know you have money.

The problem is just like buying an expensive supercar - when you can afford one you are too old for it when you are young enough you can't afford it!

Great thread! I remember watching some of those £100m of players at Fulham and it was just like when spurs spent the Gareth Bale £80m fee on mostly a load of garbage.

In the championship players are cheaper but you can't afford them because of FFP unless you have parachute money. In the premier league the same player is an extra £10m as they know you have money.

The problem is just like buying an expensive supercar - when you can afford one you are too old for it when you are young enough you can't afford it!

Whatever we do, we must make sure any money is well spent. Five decent (say) £10 million players and we are at worst set up to be a yo-yo team again. Five Carvalho's and we will be in a mess.

Whatever we do, we must make sure any money is well spent. Five decent (say) £10 million players and we are at worst set up to be a yo-yo team again. Five Carvalho's and we will be in a mess.
Yes I agree though I would say five 10 to15 mill players along with a couple of very good loan players and a couple of very good out of contract players

There are always some bargain signings even in the Premier League. If we can get a couple of those added to some experience and we should be ok.

There are always some bargain signings even in the Premier League. If we can get a couple of those added to some experience and we should be ok.

I was just talking in general terms. Even players like Wallace and Rothwell will cost us wages. I have no idea if they are Premier class or not. It's all down to SC and whoever does the transfers. We have wasted a fortune over the years on poor transfers, the worst one probably being Carvalho if the fee quoted is correct. We now have one summer where we are now a more attractive club to play for than Norwich, Burnley, Watford, West Brom, Sheffield United etc. We need to keep it that way.

Loans are great if they do the job and keep us up, but have no long term value if they don't.

This is where I don't believe we will spunk any kind of money up the wall for the likes of Davis, Spence, Gibbs-White. You have to look at us as having the bare bones of a squad. Fortunately, Cooper seems clued up on the type of player he wants, and has plenty of experience in getting the best out of what look like nobodies.

You'd have to presume that now we're in the top flight, clubs will try to ask silly money for players. We need definite additions at full back and in midfield, a striker, and a bit of depth thrown into the mix. I'd be happy if we signed players with good personalities who Cooper could get the best out of, at an average of about £5m-£6m a piece, as opposed to re-signing players we came up with who come with a heftier tag, and not to add that depth.

We almost need to find the next version of Spence and make him ours. Davis is the only one I'd go to sign, but for around £11m. He is Lukaku-esque, but better attitude. We have to trust that in signing players like Rothwell, they keep us up.

I was just talking in general terms. Even players like Wallace and Rothwell will cost us wages. I have no idea if they are Premier class or not. It's all down to SC and whoever does the transfers. We have wasted a fortune over the years on poor transfers, the worst one probably being Carvalho if the fee quoted is correct. We now have one summer where we are now a more attractive club to play for than Norwich, Burnley, Watford, West Brom, Sheffield United etc. We need to keep it that way.

Loans are great if they do the job and keep us up, but have no long term value if they don't.
I don’t disagree at all. It’s just every season you see clubs signing players for free or on the cheap and they end up being really good. I know it isn’t an exact science but if we do manage a few of those it will stand us in good stead…

I would imagine Cooper and his back room staff will be looking at his England U17 World Cup winning and Euro finalists squads. Quite a few of them have gone on to be established premier league players and he got some of them in on loan at Swansea. This wouldn’t surprise me at all (if we could afford them of course)

never too old for it.
Im 54, did a hare scramble at the weekend, 30+km on dust sand and rocks and came in 58th of 200. i actually came 2nd in the over 40's and there wasnt an over 50s class. I still cant walk tho, theres the crux lol

I don’t disagree at all. It’s just every season you see clubs signing players for free or on the cheap and they end up being really good. I know it isn’t an exact science but if we do manage a few of those it will stand us in good stead…

I'd hope we'd be aiming for better than Jon Stead, chap.

The championship players we should be looking to buy, only in my opinion are ..

Rothwell
Wallace or Bowler - Or both ..?
O Brien.

Those 4 combined would cost a max of 13m. Rothwell and Wallace on a free, 2-3m for Bowler and around 10m possibly for O Brien, maybe a bit less.

Of our loans 5m will get Zinc and Lowe back, but we need a first choice LWB (Lowe as Back up)

Davis at 7-10m? - Call it a max of 28m for that lot, possibly 25m if we're lucky?

Need a CB, RWB (Neco Williams for me) LWB, CF and ACM with 50-60m to spend....

The championship players we should be looking to buy, only in my opinion are ..

Rothwell
Wallace or Bowler - Or both ..?
O Brien.

Those 4 combined would cost a max of 13m. Rothwell and Wallace on a free, 2-3m for Bowler and around 10m possibly for O Brien, maybe a bit less.

Of our loans 5m will get Zinc and Lowe back, but we need a first choice LWB (Lowe as Back up)

Davis at 7-10m? - Call it a max of 28m for that lot, possibly 25m if we're lucky?

Need a CB, RWB (Neco Williams for me) LWB, CF and ACM with 50-60m to spend....
Lowe was still pretty young in the prem and can improve, might be decent if can stay fit. players like Back will have to get loaned out. Wallace might be worth another pop at, the Prem prob enough of a carrot now, presumably over the sunshine

they can of course have long term value, we just levelled up by using them