Staying in the Premier League- a look at how much teams spent after promotion | Vital Football

Staying in the Premier League- a look at how much teams spent after promotion

Pope John XXIII

Vital Football Legend
I thought it would be interesting and useful.ti see what other clubs did in the transfer market when going up.

Obvious flaws in this process- it takes no account of how good the squad was in the first place, how consistently it had been challenging for promotion (or been in the PL before) or how many loans they had used for promotion.

Firstly, let's look at the ones recently who have stayed up

Leeds;
Screenshot_20220604-092027_Samsung Internet.jpg
Leeds threw £96m at staying up last season and another £53m this season.

However, that was following two consecutive seasons of strong performance in the Championship and a squad that was already strong.

Brentford;
Screenshot_20220604-091427_Samsung Internet.jpg
Brentford did not spend a fortune; £33m. Again, they had an already very strong squad, having challenged for promotion consistently in the previous seasons.

Sheffield United
Screenshot_20220604-092801_Samsung Internet.jpg
Blades spent £63m on third first season and another £56m in the second season when they were relegated. An interesting case, as they had two seasons of challenging for promotion before securing it, with some of their original league one players.

Brighton;
Going back to 17/18 now

Screenshot_20220604-093141_Samsung Internet.jpg
£63m for Brighton- again, they won promotion after two seasons of challenging for it

Huddersfield;
Screenshot_20220604-093615_Samsung Internet.jpg
£51m for Huddersfield and £45m the season after to score just 16 points.

Huddersfield were a complete surprise, winning the playoffs in a one off season

Villa;
Screenshot_20220604-093814_Samsung Internet.jpg
£143m for Villa- on the back of three seasons of very heavy championship spending and expectation. They stayed up by the skin of their teeth

Here are some of the teams that went straight back down

Norwich
Screenshot_20220604-155448_Samsung Internet.jpg

Norwich spent over £50m this time round, but this was not all net spend; they sold their best player, Buenda, for £35m- definately not a clever thing to do (we, of course, are losing at least one if not four of our best players this summer).

However, their previous promotion was handled on a shoestring, with hardly any spending at all resulting in an equally swift relegation.
Screenshot_20220604-155531_Samsung Internet.jpg

Watford
Just the £40m for Watford this time round
Screenshot_20220604-155903_Samsung Internet.jpg
Their most expensice signing, Louza, managed just 17 starts, no goals, no assists. I can't find any reference to Maduka Okoye in their squad. A lot of money squandered here

Fulham
Screenshot_20220604-160320_Samsung Internet.jpg
Not a fortune spent last time out- just £30m

That was after a huge £100m spend the promotion before.

Screenshot_20220604-160342_Samsung Internet.jpg
Seri has scored just 2 goals for them and been out on loan a couple of times since signing. He managed a few appearances in the championship last year. Anguissa has scored no goals, and has never remained at the club when they have been in the championship, going out on loan and then coming back for the PL.

Cardiff
Screenshot_20220604-160856_Samsung Internet.jpg
Relegated after one season, but Cardiff Gabe a decent account of themselves and were only relegated by a handful of points despite having a squad that I personally feel is not as good as our current one.

A £46m spend, but obviously that includes Sala, who died before he could play for them and who I don't believe they paid for in full.

Last edited:
Astronomical figures here and no guarantee to stay up, it'd be interesting to see what tactic Palace, Wolves and Southampton took to become more established than some of the other yo-yo clubs, saying that Palace were the epitome of yo-yo for about 20 years.

A quick glance above shows a huge amount spent on continental signings, I wonder what their fans would give some of those signings out of 10 at the end of the season.

I'm hoping but pretty sure someone is running these numbers behind the scenes, they've already said there were definitely two lists, someone needs to be running the Moneyball stats at club and player level to prevent the splurge on crap expensive signings, I'm hoping that was Murphy's No.1 priority from the end of Jan till last Sunday.

With him sending a death by PowerPoint presentation to Marakas with a short executive summary of 'we need to do this'

Imho the difference between the top ten championship clubs and the bottom 10 prem teams is much closer than people think. Does highlight the 15m price tag for Davies is at least double what would be a generous offer.

Of that lot, Villa unfortunately are a good indicator. Their best defender and their best striker were both on loan- they has to spend £20m buying the first and £25m failing to replace the other

I was going to say the same RC

It would be absolute folly to spunk a massive chunk of the budget on players that haven't played on these shores.

I do have this feeling that Forest's first team are growing, and will be capable of more next season than they were this. This, of course, requires the permanent signings of our loanees. A predominantly young squad, all growing, learning and developing. More to come from all of them.

A couple of "intent" signings in key positions will really elevate the first team, and some proper threat down the left flank will help free up the heavy marking of Spence and Johnson on the right.

It's the bench that concerns me more than anything. Make a handful of signings that can properly challenge the starting 11, along with those "intent" signings pushing a couple of current starters to the bench and that suddenly makes the bench a lot more appealing with much more effective options to change things up.

It's quite a lot of signings but they don't all need to be huge money signings. It's a massive, massive summer for NFFC and getting the transfer business right is going to be crucial.

Just looking at Shef U signings. A club can get Osborn, Mousset and Freeman for free as all out of contract, as is Ince.

Just hope we don't blow millions on unknown foreign imports. Of those signed by Leeds the best one appears to be Gelhardt, who was the cheapest and probably bought on potential which is probably the way to go in the main. We do however need some Prem "Knowhow / Experience" in key positions similar to what Cook & Colback provide.
The one thing I would say is I do have faith in the current regime to come up with the goods even though it will be tricky

Sensible spending with a view to hopefully staying up but the plan b of having a squad too good for the championship, only 2 loans which I expect us to use one on garner and the other on a striker. Most of our bomb squads gone apart from Arter (pay him off) we've a decent core of players so it's like a clean sheet, sprinkle some quality in and hope they fit in and the team spirit is a as good as this year.

The support needs to stick with them like the 2nd half of the blunts game when we hit a bad patch, it's a big step up and they will need all that help to pull through.

Would not want to see us spend more than 10M on any single player myself
That's just not realistic.

You could buy several players at £9m, spend an absolute fortune and be left with utter crap.

You could spend £30m on one player who completely drives the team as long as it's the right one.

A lot of players out there priced at £10m-15m who, if playing in the championship, it would be quickly apparent are not worth £2-3m.

It really is about getting the right players, your first choice targets and having second choice targets you know just as much about and are just as confident in, or you don't bother getting them

£10m doesn’t get you much. We may need to spend £12m on Spence. Sends a clear message and may assist in getting BJ’s signature. A striker of any worth will cost a bit. Villa had to go big for Watkins and Shef U McBurnie. No guarantees though and Cooper may have to weave magic to get a couple of decent strikers thru the door.

on slightly different topic. Grabban has reportedly been spending a bit of time coaching strikers. If Ada is could learn the da re arts of penalty area poaching a la Grabban then he could be a decent striker. Grabban comes alive in penalty area. Most of his goals are over 10 yards or less. Anyone feel Grabban has a role teaching as much as being third or fourth striker?

Spending bigger money doesnt guarantee better quality or better results IMO

Leicester spent 450k on Mahrez
5m on Kante

Sold them on for 80M plus

The players are out there

I'd rather us spend 50M on 10 players and just 4 or 5 of them improve us next season

Than spend bigger money on individual players

I'd also like to see is look at some top quality loans

That's just not realistic.

You could buy several players at £9m, spend an absolute fortune and be left with utter crap.

You could spend £30m on one player who completely drives the team as long as it's the right one.

A lot of players out there priced at £10m-15m who, if playing in the championship, it would be quickly apparent are not worth £2-3m.

It really is about getting the right players, your first choice targets and having second choice targets you know just as much about and are just as confident in, or you don't bother getting them
Getting together a bunch of 5 to 10 million pound no hopers is just about the easiest thing to do in football.

I'm honestly not sure on Spence at Premier League level

And Brennan still has a lot to improve on

Not long ago we hated the thought of losing Ollie Burke

We've done really well with loans this season

I'm just careful when it comes to spending big money