Stats: Rotherham v Brentford | Vital Football

Stats: Rotherham v Brentford

VitalFootballAdmin

Vital Squad Member
Staff member
All the stats from Rotherham (1) vs (0) Brentford, New York Stadium, 20/8/16 Att: 8,367

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?457581">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

6 points from the 4 games is about right imo. That doesn't mask our problems on the road, we seem more solid but aren't creating / taking chances. Yesterday's loss to one of the weaker sides should reinforce the need to get these targets in quickly. We know what we need & we know the financial challenges are steep, but it must be done. We also need to try to move a couple on, Hoff, Josh & maybe even KK for me.

Pressure back on to get something next week against another Yorkshire team that we've struggled with since our return to this level.

The stats don't lie, we played like a home team and they played a contain and counter attack tactic which did for us. Very frustrating away day.

Goal looked offside from the stadium replay but we paid for a lack of incisiveness in the box. Some got agitated about our "tippy tappy" style but we looked most threatening when we played it around their box and tried to find a way through rather than just lumping it in.

When Dean is sent up front near the end you know we have lost the game as it never works.

Bit worried about Elder as he doesn't brim with confidence and offers much less of an attacking threat down the wing that Bidwell did. Too often he cuts in rather than attacks the byline although to be fair Macleod had an ineffective game in front of him. Colin and Vibe on the right offered much more.

This was a game we really should have won, Rotherham looked like a very average team.

Sounds like we played OK, arguably better than we played against Forest. So as Rebel says the overall points total seems about right.

Take a look at the 5 minute highlights on BFC's youtube channel. We play some sublime football at times. We had some great chances too but failed to hit the target pretty much every time.

We are not too far off having a squad that can improve on last season's performance.

Rebel, although Josh, Hoff and KK are not starters, they are in the squad and likely to fill in at certain points throughout the season. We are only one injury/suspension away from needing them. Currently I think we all know the kind of player we need to balance the squad and feel we should concentrate on that acquisition.

I don't think we are far off either fellas, a bit like a motor engine in need of a key component to make it really powerful, call it a supercharger. Add one piece and the sum of this plus all the other parts becomes much greater. The division hasn't settled yet, but when it does I feel we need to be a fair bit better than we are today.

I don't imagine that all of the 3 I've mentioned will go out, and maybe none will - but i'd be surprised if something isn't being considered, mainly due to the length of contracts and chunk of budget they take up for non starting players.

Interesting to see if the Mawson to Sunderland rumours have legs, and if we have a sell on for him - a cheeky bonus this week would be nice.

As Kent says, they sat back hit us. Lots of soak it up, poke it up from them, packing their defence and making it hard to break down. I agree with you, Kent, we looked more like scoring when we tried to pick our way through.

I am getting a bit worried about Hogan. He ran all over looking for the ball and trying to do it all as once again the service to him was poor. But just when he was in a good position he lost to a heavy touch. Not just once or twice, but every time, and it ended in the ball being taken off his feet, or stretching for a shot. I hope this was a one off and his confidence is not ebbing

We have certainly improved in goal, am very impressed and the throws, roll outs to feet are spot on. Liked the look of Ledesom (sp) for the fifteen minutes he was on. Created chances and chased back, did well with corners too. Sawyer looked poor again. Not interested in fifty fiftys, and not much more interested in anything much else. He needs to improve.

As for getting shot or loaning out. KK and Hoff have to move on either loan wise or permanently. They are simply not good enough and the fact they are in the squad, and needed shows me the squad is even weaker in depth than last season. Clarke adds a bit of pace down the line and although raw, will come through. I'd like us to keep trying with him. ]]

We certainly didn't deserve to lose that and on another day with a touch more luck we'd have taken all three points.