Starting XI v Milton Keynes Dons? | Vital Football

Starting XI v Milton Keynes Dons?

Palmer
Eyoma, Jackson, Walsh, Edun
McGrandles, Sanders
Johnson
Scully, Morton, Rogers

I don't particularly like Johnson in midfield, or indeed Johnson and Rogers in the same team, but it really is a must win game, so an attacking line up would work for me.

Jackson just edges out Montsma on recent form. Both Eyoma and Edun link up much better from full back with the forward players than Poole and Bramall do.

Having said that, Poole and Bramall seem untouchable in MA's eyes, so the actual team will be nothing like mine I'm sure!

I'd ditch the 4-4-3 and go 4-2-3-1

Morton needs support . Rogers needs to be more central so he can influence the game more, rather than be islolated on the left wing so I'd put him in the number 10 role close to Morton.

Palmer
Poole Monstma Walsh Bramall
McGrandles Edun
Johnson Rogers Scully
Morton

Won't happen

I'd like to see us find a way to deal with the high press that many teams put on us in the first 30 minutes. Too often that leads to us seeing almost nothing of the ball and us conceding. And we don't return the favour by pressing them much at all.

I'd also like to see us find a way to play the ball through the middle a bit more. Our out-ball always seems to be down the channel or to the side-lines. We then quite often seem to lose the ball after only a couple of passes and we're back to square one.

Last edited:
Palmer
Eyoma, Jackson, Walsh, Bramall
McGrandles, Sanders, Edun
Anderson, Morton, Scully

(probs won't happen)

Rogers keeps drifting in and out of games. He scores some fantastic goals, but his workrate doesn't do it for me. We really need a team effort. Reminds me too much of Mustapha Carayol; a luxury player we can ill afford at the moment. I'd rather see what impact he makes from the bench.

Palmer, Eyoma, Jackson, Walsh Bramall
Mc Grandles, Sanders,Edun,
Scully, Morton,Johnson.
Johnson plays better on left, scored most goals that side, and \e\dun will have more freedom going forward, and Bramall pverlapping with Edun.

Does this work?

Palmer
Eyoma Montsma Walsh Bramall
McGrandles Edun Jones
Johnson Morton Scully

i don’t think we play as well with both Johnson and Rogers as we do with one and Scully or Anderson. Not a question of talent -both too good for this league.

Palmer
Eyoma Montsma Jackson Bramall
McGrandles Jones Edun
Anderson Morton Johnson

Get Scully and Rogers on after an hour and let them rip the Dons to shreds.

I'd like to see us find a way to deal with the high press that many teams put on us in the first 30 minutes. Too often that leads to us seeing almost nothing of the ball and us conceding. And we don't return the favour by pressing them much at all.

I'd also like to see us find a way to play the ball through the middle a bit more. Our out-ball always seems to be down the channel or to the side-lines. We then quite often seem to lose the ball after only a couple of passes and we're back to square one.

Not noticed it so much lately but I did think Mapp tried to allow us to do the second of your points by having Johnson drift centrally, even to the base of midfield at times. It forces his opposite number (usually a full back) to make a decision on following him or leaving him but potentially creates a mismatch for us in midfield - even more so if he runs past someone. If they do follow, then I remember seeing Jones and Mcgrandles ghosting forward into a space left by the fullback to receive a pass on the turn. Interesting today as I assume it will be their wing backs / wide centre halves who have to work out who passes Johnson on to who in each phase of play?

I also wonder if we might consider Harry at full back today? Mapp did say he liked it against teams where he hasn't got an opposing winger to mark (e.g a 352) as it gives him freedom / less risk of someone getting behind him.