Starting XI v Crewe Alexandra? | Vital Football

Starting XI v Crewe Alexandra?

It sounds like injuries, particularly defensively are starting to mount up. Based on the latest concerns for Montsma and Bridcutt I'm guessing at:
Palmer
Gotts Eyoma Walsh Roughan
Jones Grant McGrandles
Anderson Hopper Johnson

With rotation that MAPP is using would expect Roughan and Hopper to start. Possibly Scully too.

It sounds like injuries, particularly defensively are starting to mount up. Based on the latest concerns for Montsma and Bridcutt I'm guessing at:
Palmer
Jones Grant McGrandles
Anderson Hopper Johnson
Palmer
Eyoma Jackson Walsh Roughan
Jones Grant McGrandles
Anderson Hopper Johnson

I do think that if any player is less that 100% fit the risk won't be taken nowadays. Tough game at Donny coming up Saturday so based upon the reported knocks...

Palmer
Eyoma Roughan Walsh Edun
Gotts
Jones Grant
Anderson Hopper Johnson

Subs :- Ross Archibald Soule McGrandles Jackson (if fit enough as a just in case)
Scully Elbouzedi

In game options of switching Eyoma centrally and Gotts to RB if Roughan needs to go LB but he'll be fine in the centre

......was thinking initially that maybe Jones might need a few minutes off but as it's his previous club he'll be really up for the game....

Currently injured or an injury doubt - Bradley, Montsma, Jackson, Melbourne, Bridcutt, Morton

Available but barely/not used so far - Ross, Gotts, Elbouzedi, Archibald, Scully, Seoul, Howarth

So with the exception of Edun/Roughan rotation, the defence pretty much picks itself depending on injury status.

Midfield still has plenty of options with Grant, Edun and Gotts able to slot in there.

Loads of attacking options that haven't been tapped into yet.

The injuries complicate things but are inevitable with the frequency of games. The bonus has been how comfortably Walsh has slipped into the back 4 for 3 successive games, something I doubt even MA would have expected.

Again, with half an eye on Donny and next week's games, based on what MA said this morning :-
Palmer
Eyoma, Jackson, Walsh, Edun
McGrandles, Grant, Jones
Anderson, Hopper, Scully
subs Ross, Roughan, Gotts, Archibald, Johnson, Soule, Howarth

MA may take an opposite view on Anderson and Johnson, Harry got a battering on Saturday, but Brennan tired on Saturday and the previous week and a rest may be beneficial. Wouldn't expect either to play the full 90 subject to the match situation. Archibald worth a start on the basis of what he's shown in EFL and sub apprearances but may be a change too far for MA. Bridcutt possibly missing makes it less likely Gotts will get a start too.

Palmer
Grant Edun McGrandles
Anderson (ankle ok?)/Johnson Hopper Scully/Johnson

Bench - anyone else who’s fit.

Palmer
Grant Edun McGrandles
Anderson (ankle ok?)/Johnson Hopper Scully/Johnson

Bench - anyone else who’s fit.

I bet Jones would really like to miss out on playing his former team. Suggest he is about first on the team sheet when fit and available. He has had an outstanding start to the season, league one Steve Gerard.

I bet Jones would really like to miss out on playing his former team. Suggest he is about first on the team sheet when fit and available. He has had an outstanding start to the season, league one Steve Gerard.
He has been phenomenal but played 90 minutes at the weekend getting all round the pitch and if it’s better for the team that he rests for the weekend rather than play at 80% against Crewe hopefully he recognises that right?

He may also recognise Crewe for all they’ve done for him and be less motivated to win. I’d hope he’s always motivated. Don’t know the guy though.

walsh must be a risk if he has to play a fourth 90 in eleven days, having been out for ages.

jones and grant have also played a lot of minutes in the first 13 games.

He has been phenomenal but played 90 minutes at the weekend getting all round the pitch and if it’s better for the team that he rests for the weekend rather than play at 80% against Crewe hopefully he recognises that right?

He may also recognise Crewe for all they’ve done for him and be less motivated to win. I’d hope he’s always motivated. Don’t know the guy though.
Jones appeared to have no problem being part of the team that knocked Crewe out of the efl cup

Taking into consideration presumed injuries...

Palmer
Eyoma Walsh Roughan Edun
McGrandles Grant Jones
Anderson Hopper Scully

Ross, Jackson, Gotts, Johnson, Elbouzedi, Howarth, Archibald.

In the presser MA hinted heavily that Adam Jackson has been training and is the ready made replacement for Lewis M if he doesn't make it.

In the presser MA hinted heavily that Adam Jackson has been training and is the ready made replacement for Lewis M if he doesn't make it.
In that case...

Palmer
Eyoma Jackson Walsh Roughan
McGrandles Grant Jones
Anderson Hopper Scully

Ross, Edun, Gotts, Johnson, Elbouzedi, Howarth, Archibald.

I would be amazed if he startd Scully ahead of Johnson.
Difficult one - Johnson has been our main threat in recent games and is terrifying defences, but is young and noticeably tired at Fleetwood and again on Saturday.

MA regularly highlights the depth and versatility of the squad, and the need to manage game time for players given the overall workload. The fitness conditioning of the players is clearly superb but all can be susceptible to burn out and fatigue-induced injury.

Prepare to be amazed (and feel free to remind us tonight if not!) with 30 minutes of Johnson if the game needs it, otherwise keep fresh for Donny.