Starting XI for Rotherham | Page 6 | Vital Football

Starting XI for Rotherham

I've got to be honest i find it very hard to believe a chairman signs players a manager doesn't want in the first place. For the simple reason the manager wont want to use them and they will most likely be money wasted. Especially when money is tight. In the past the club and managers have all maintained the manager has the final say and Cook has also said he is happy to give the recruitment team a lot of responsibility. I'm not sure why they'd lie, some clubs like Brentford openly admit the signings are done by the recruitment team with minimal managerial input so there would be no need to keep it a secret. So i assume they are telling the truth and Cook does have the final say but the recruitment team are the ones finding the targets and making the recomendations.

I think the most likely scenario is Cook or any manager doesn't have enough time to scout every player in as much detail as they'd like so they works with the recruitment team and put a large amount of trust in them to find them the best targets. I imagine the manager can veto any deal if he really isn't keen but generally if the recruitment department have invested hours into their research he will take their judgements in good faith.

I suspect the most likely explanation of why players like Cole or Walker arrive and then hardly get a game is simply down to what we don't see. The manager obviously hopes they come in and perform better than what he has in training but if their fitness, attitude and general performance is lacking compared to what we have he wont put them ahead of what he already has as he doesn't want to upset the mood of the camp or ruin the work ethic.

Imagine if evryone is working their socks of in training and a new signing arrives but despite our high hopes is nowhere near as fit as the current players, lazy and poor in the practice games, etc. If the manager picks him for the starting 11 when the hard working lads doing exactly what you ask are left out then you risk sending out the wrong message and undermining the standards and work ethic you have created in your set up. As fans we can only judge a player soley on what they produce when they are on the pitch on Satruday afternoon, we are making our decision based on a tiny percentage of the information the manager has access to. I think when we see someone like Cole look good in brief cameos we can't work out why he's not given more minutes but i suspect the reason is something we don't know about and because we don't know rumours start like chinese whispers to try and come up with a viable explanation.

Maybe i'm wrong but i just find it very hard to believe Cook would tell Sharpe he doesn't want a player and Sharpe signs him anyway knwoing the chances of him being used would be very slim, the chances of the money being wasted are high and the chances of upsetting the best manager we've had in years increases.

I may be wrong and forgive me if I am, but weren't there rumours circulating when the "three amigo's" arrived that Whelan had signed them without consulting the manager.

I heard Graham Barrow only wanted Bobby but Uncle Dave wanted all 3. So he could use them as the 'three amigos' for publicity reasons.

Very good post King but if the club just fed us a few bits explaining situations like those with Cole Walker Colclough etc it wouldn't hurt.

The issue with that would be you'd end up publicly throwing a player under the bus which would make the player even less likely to improve their workrate or attitude. It would also put potential buyers off or damage your ability to command a decent fee for them.

Issues need to be kept behind closed doors as letting the fans know a player is lazy in training could do a lot of damage to the dressing room who would rightly trust the club to not wash dirty laundry in public. It's just not professional or in any way productive for a manager to publicly critasise individuals.

Suppose you're right and many times it works out for the good as in Max last year.

In that instance though Max made it public that he had asked to leave which makes it easy for the club to comment. I think if the player doesn't say anything about any issues (as Cole hasnt) the club just has to do the same. It is frustrating as fans not to know more but i think 99% of the time the club has to keep the reasons private for the overall greater good and if they did start to open up about that type of stuff it would cause a lot of issues.

I heard Graham Barrow only wanted Bobby but Uncle Dave wanted all 3. So he could use them as the 'three amigos' for publicity reasons.
I used to see Graham Barrow regularly outside my lads school when he was manager.
This post is completely untrue.

What is untrue Henski, the fact that Barrow only wanted Martinez or that he was aware that Whelan was signing the three of them ?

Henski how can my post be completely untrue?
Didn't Uncle Dave use the three amigos for publicity purposes?
I still say Barrow only wanted Bobby.

I'll take your word for it before the man himself then shall I?

Brexit could have 'hugely damaging' effect on football clubs, say chairmen
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45206066

Not in my opinion - I prefer to watch & be entertained by home grown players (incl the Scots!)
Well, that will remove over 50% of players in the Premier League, and take us back to the 1970's, as well as take away huge amounts of TV money. I prefer to watch the best please, personally, whether British or overseas. You'll be telling us soon that you prefer potatoes with your curry!!!!

Well, that will remove over 50% of players in the Premier League, and take us back to the 1970's, as well as take away huge amounts of TV money. I prefer to watch the best please, personally, whether British or overseas. You'll be telling us soon that you prefer potatoes with your curry!!!!

Curry and chips...…..Great!!!!!!