Star Soccer and the Baseball Ground | Vital Football

Star Soccer and the Baseball Ground

cropped

Vital Squad Member
A long time ago now, but those getting on will no doubt remember Star Soccer. This was a highlights programme shown on a Sunday afternoon... 2pm ish if I remember. Hugh Johns was the front man. Anyway, thinking back to those days, my dad dozing on the setee with a bottle of brown ale and me as a kid transfixed by the action, every game I remember at the Baseball Ground was a sea of mud. Of course I know this wasn't the case but it got me thinking. Did many games get called off in a season due to the state of the pitch? And what are people's thoughts on the game with the very worst Baseball Ground surface?

Attachments

• star-soccer.jpg
    star-soccer.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 2
The BBG pitch got very muddy, very quickly and was ferequently a quagmire. What amazed me was that our players could actually play quality football on it.

The conditions weren't always accidental either. When we played Benfica, Cloughie had the ground staff put hosepipes on, drenching the pitch after Benfica had trained on it in the morning. They had trained on a decent pitch and came back to play the game on a mud bath. They couldn't play on it, we could. 3-0.

The ground was below street level making drainage virtually impossible. Bob Smith, head groundsman from 1964 to 1984 said; “Any water on the pitch was like putting water in a saucer of flour. It went gooey.
“Every big game we would flood the pitch,” Smith added. “No one got why it was just wet for first team games and dry for the reserves.

“What went off behind closed doors got Derby County where they were”.

Then there was the game against Citeh where Joe Corrigan demanded that the ref got the groundsman on to paint the penalty spot on before the spot kick was taken in order to ensure fairness. The original paint was in, under and over quite a few square yards of pitch. I was there

Another was an FA Cup game which, if I remember correctly, was against Boston United in 1955. They dumped Derby out of the Cup 1-6 at the BBG. My late brother was there with my Dad. I was 9 months old at the time so I got left at home with me Mam.

1974 saw a "rematch" in the Cup, again at the Baseball Ground. That tie ended 0-0. Late on they had a shot which, under normal circumstances, would have gone in. It got stuck in the mud just short of the line. Four days later Derby won the replay 1-6 at theirs. A replay they probably should not have had. I was at both games.

Brilliant memories Madamster ! Watering the pitch on purpose is a revelation to me.

Great stuff Hamster, brings back many golden memories!! The trouble is those of us lucky enough to salivate over the BC era are always left with a feeling of 'what if'.........

I'll give you you one Mac, if the stupid twunt hadn't offered to resign in a move designed to give him and PT more power at the club then I am pretty damned certain a certain other EM team would still be looking to win their first ever League title and that would mean no back to back EC wins.

I was on the Committee of the 'Protest Movement' set-up to get BC re-instated and had the pleasure to meet him on a number of occasions!! He always said that he had been convinced that Sam would back down, unfortunately he overlooked how stubborn us Derbyshire folk can be. I loved being in his company and he proved what we lost with his subsequent success. However, I am more than happy with the pleasure he gave us during an all too brief tenure of DCFC.

Here's a thought... no idea if there is a statue of BC and PT ... if there isn't, would Rams appreciate one now or is the connection to 'they that may not be mentioned' too much?

There is a statue outside Pride Park of the two gentlemen in question, cropped.

Mac, I forget after which game it was but he was interviewed pitchside, level with the 18 yard line, Vulcan Street Popside. by the Football League Review. 4 of us had seen what was going on and stayed to listen to the interview. We remained silent through the interview. Post interview BC thanked us for our politeness in not disrupting the interview. Truth was we didn't dare interrupt BC. He then stayed and chatted with us for about 5 minutes. What a man. We will never see his like again.

Brilliant memories Madamster ! Watering the pitch on purpose is a revelation to me.

Strange thing morality!
We call Bielsa a ‘cheat’...while Clough has a statue...how times change.
Don’t suppose there was any such ‘crime’ as pitch tampering...not in football anyway...fine lines.

Cropped, there’s also a road (A52) that links the two cities...called ‘Brian Clough Way’. Runs straight past our stadium but stops well short of their shed.

They do have a lovely cricket ground though. ;)

Last edited:
There wasn't and isn't a pitch tampering crime as such. There is a duty to provide a pitch safe to play on and BC's penchant for waterlogging the pitch didn't endanger safety.

ramAnag - producing 'home' pitches in cricket, is of course something that is controlled to an extent (and don't they offer the away captain the choice of batting or bowling or the toss now in County Championship ? )... in football those days have gone I guess. Great to learn all this though.

Only ever one visit to the Baseball Ground - a night match, great atmosphere and lively outside if I remember. A 'proper' football ground though. IF only it could have somehow been modernised and extended a bit.

------------

Trent Bridge ... a test ground I have yet to visit.

Latest Rams News