Stanley v County... | Vital Football

Stanley v County...

ramAnag

Vital Reserves Team
...as it might have been described in the ‘Victor’ or by Charles Buchan half a century or more ago.
Rest, experiment or go for it? That is the quandary?
Do we really want the distraction of a cup run and possibly another replay or do we provide almost a fortnight of further R&R before the important business at Deepdale?
Roos or Carson, Cole or Malone, 4-4-2 or 3-4-3? Thoughts?

Last edited:
Best available players taking knocks and niggles into account (no need to risk players not 100%) in the formation that suits them the best.

Poor performance depleted squad beginning to show Bogle and Malone played well Mount Wilson Nugent and Evans poor Not looking like anybody coming in how a Championship club. who say they are going for promotion can end up with only two centre back ispoor Got no right back now Bogle suspended Wisdom injured Expect to get turned over at Preston

He'll just stick Holmes in at right back, and bring Bryson back. Shown our weakness at defending crosses again unfortunately. Was impressed with Roos again, and Waghorn deserved his goal. Evans a little disappointing but still time. Nugent awful. Fancy us against Preston with Marriott back

Never going to be easy. Their biggest match of the season and biggest crowd ever so we didn’t do so badly...just ask Wolves, Boro’, Everton or West Ham...at least we’re definitely through.
Pity about Bogle but can’t argue, still fancy us against Preston and interesting how Lampard’s signings are suddenly looking better...only FloJo and Evans with something still to prove and Holmes not only looks a talent but, as Adi suggests, a very versatile one.

He'll just stick Holmes in at right back, and bring Bryson back. Shown our weakness at defending crosses again unfortunately. Was impressed with Roos again, and Waghorn deserved his goal. Evans a little disappointing but still time. Nugent awful. Fancy us against Preston w
Adi can't believe your advocating Holmes for right back he only had the job for one minute at Leeds before they scored in the position he was marking In any case we need him in midfield with no Mount Looks like Bryson still out but Lawrence back I definitely don't fancy us at Preston they are on form and we are not They have finally got their injured players back and look like the team I thought they would be this season Also got imo the best manager in the division but let's hope I'm wrong

Can’t believe you think Alex Neil is the ‘best manager in the division’, mista.
There are some fine managers in the Championship and although Neil had one good season at Norwich his career there was a bit of a roller coaster and his win rate was only just over 40%. At PNE he’s only managed 37.8%.
I know statistics aren’t everything but I wouldn’t have him in the top six.
Hope he doesn’t prove me wrong next Friday. ?

Last edited:
Where to start? I'll just go randomly with my thoughts as they pop into my head.

Roos. Didn't have a lot to do but was sharp from start to finish. FL keeps saying players with the shirt have it to lose. Roos has done nothing to warrant dropping. That late low save at the death showed how concentrated he still was.

Bogle had a very good game. Ref got both his cards right on Bogle. I am perlexed that, so late in the game, we had 8 outfield players up for a corner and that the 2 remaining were marking zones rather than having one of the two on their one man forward. That positioning, which has to have been playing orders, left us vulnerable and Bogle "took one for the team" aka cheated.

Holmes was excellent. No more to say about him.

Wilson yet again got absolutely no protection from the ref. Unless he starts getting some (protection that is
849616834.gif
) hos career may well be a short one.

Mount wasn't at the races for whatever reason. Bennett replaced him, apparently for an injury, on 37 minutes and was way more involved than Mount had been.

Waggy worked his socks off up top and in defence and deserved his 3 days after his birthday goal.

Barlaser's 2nd yellow was deserved IMO. Once you launch yourself into the air you have lost all control and what happens after that is a consequence of the launch. Make contact with the man rather than the ball and a card is always "on the cards".

That we didn't take hold of the game by the scruff of the neck when Barlaser was sent off should surprise nobody. Since THAT game down the road, when has a Derby side ever done well against 10?

Was that a hard fought game? Defnitely and it was a typicallly great, blood and guts, old fashioned FA Cup Tie that the Stanley just about did enough to deserve a replay. Was that pitch, in modern terms, unfit for purpose? Probably but we won 2 League titles playing on a pitch worse than that back in the 70s. Not every club can afford the kind of pristine pitches we see week in and out in the SBC and PL. It's all part of the game and evens things out somewhat.

Overall the game was lacking finesse and all the things we see on the snooker table like pitches we play on most weeks but it was a game for the nostalgic among us and definitely one that is "what the FA Cup is all about". I enjoyed it.

Their manage has bemoaned some decisions that went against them. I agree with him on most, however, he hasn't mentioned any of the wrong decisions that went their way. The ref wasn't biased. He was closer to being incompetent IMO.

The fallout of this game brings 2 very important decisions for FL tp make prior to Friday's game against PNE. 1) Bogle is suspended and Wisdom is injured so who plays right back? I'd be tempted to go with a back 3 of Keogh, Tomori and Malone a MF 5 Holmes Bryson Hudds/Evans Wilson Bennett and Nuge and Waghorn up top going on the premise that Marriott won't be fit.

Can’t believe you think Alex Neil is the ‘best manager in the division’, mista.
There are some fine managers in the Championship and although Neil had one good season at Norwich his career there was a bit of a roller coaster and his win rate was only just over 40%. At PNE he’s only managed 37.8%.
I know statistics aren’t everything but I wouldn’t have him in the top six.
Hope he doesn’t prove me wrong next Friday. ?
RA So who do you think is better taking into consideration size of club and budget because I can't think of one Definately not Lampard at the moment

I’d say Bielsa, Smith, Monk, Johnson, Pulis, Harris, Farke, Wilder, Cook and yes, despite his managerial ‘infancy’, Lampard were all at least as good.

Latest Rams News