Standing - Sit Down! | Page 2 | Vital Football

Standing - Sit Down!

What's happening with safe standing areas? I would happily stand for home games and always do for away games.

Still rumbling along pvb, but doubt anything will happen any time soon, you know how regressive the football authorities is. Always said (and said above) it was the putting us in cages that was the problem.

Surprised some are saying, when it has been all seating for so many decades now, that they feel entitled to stand and are comparing it to VAR. Totally different in my humble, VAR is a farce.

Yes,the legal challenge, changing rules, I agree with, as said. BUT until then, the law is the law and I believe it is becoming a problem because it is in more and more places, around the ground. People are finding they can't move because the ground is selling out plus, they are used to where they sit and it never used to be a problem for them before.

I would agree if you go to the back of the Holte, it is pretty known that is standing, whether it should be or not, so then you would be at fault really.

North Stand lower never used to be all standing though, it apparently is now.
The only thing I would add to your response is that as it is becoming a problem and occuring in more areas of the ground there is obviously a growing demand for safe standing, and something we should get behind.

Remember my first Villa Park match. I was about 10. We'd journeyed down from North Wales (big trek in those days). Dad had bought tickets for seats, don't know which stand. Every time it looked as though we had a chance of scoring the whole stand stood up, so never saw those moments. Peed off!

I suspect a lot of people for one reason or another would prefer to sit. Certainly if I went these days I wouldn't have an option; standing is out. Something needs sorting. I agree, given the rules and the affect on others, people should sit. Don't know how you get them to do that.

Tear gas? Baton charges? Tasers?

Still rumbling along pvb, but doubt anything will happen any time soon, you know how regressive the football authorities is. Always said (and said above) it was the putting us in cages that was the problem.

Surprised some are saying, when it has been all seating for so many decades now, that they feel entitled to stand and are comparing it to VAR. Totally different in my humble, VAR is a farce.
With reponse to VAR getting a mention it is because that is something else that is spoiling the day out. Its part of an insideous creep in all areas of our lives where legislation and litigation are more and more in use to challenge things that somebody doesnt like.

With reponse to VAR getting a mention it is because that is something else that is spoiling the day out. Its part of an insideous creep in all areas of our lives where legislation and litigation are more and more in use to challenge things that somebody doesnt like.

yeah, but all seater is not a new thing and as said, the flipside is how many people who buy a seat (a seat, to sit on) are having their day ruined I suppose.

If they had just introduced this, I'd get the insidious creeping in all areas of rules etc. But this has been since 1994

I blame the French and vegans personally. (Not thought why yet, but seems a valid place to start!)

I can’t speak for other areas of the ground but where I am in L8 and where I have been before such as the upper holte and lower north everyone stands, you go there because you know people stand. I imagine every club has areas where standing is tolerated regardless of the law as it’s so difficult to police, it’s just easier to let people stand in these areas if they’re not causing an issue. If I go and buy a ticket for the trinity road then I know I’m sitting and I’m fine with that, if someone buys in the lower north or some areas of the holte then they’ve gotta be prepared to stand.

It’s very unrealistic to think you can make everyone sit just as it’s unrealistic to think everyone sticks to the 30mph speed limit or that people don’t smoke weed. People going just over the speed limit is tolerated just as people having some weed is tolerated, there’s much worse things to be dealing with that a few people standing at a football game that’s for sure. Sooner or later the powers will come to their senses and allow standing, then we’ll dedicated standing areas and then people will have 2 choices when buying tickets.

I suppose the other flipside to what some of you are saying is...

are you really so set in your views/ways that if the club start getting fines, and/or seat allocations reduced, you won't care because you are doing what you want and that is all that matters!?

I am taking the hard line in this discussion because I'm trying to get a varied debate.

I repeat, the argument for legalising safe standing is slightly different and I have tried to push that on agendas at the club before.

This is about the here and now.

The new owners are doing a lot for this place, if they start facing fines, is that all ok as long as you get what you want ?!

You aren't listening to the point though Tom, standing is growing and becoming more of a problem and people who have sat where they sat for years perfectly happily, are now having to complain because of standing where people used to sit.

I've already said in this thread, if you were new in, bought a seat at the back of the holte then you would have to question your choice.

Thing is though, for the sake of this debate, it isn't actually a choice anyway. It is an all seater stadium.

So, sod everyone as long as 'you' are happy then?

I'm sick to the back teeth of it. and I don't mind admitting that I'll be adding my name to the list of complaints tomorrow.

I've been in the Holte since 2007, and I will be getting out at the first opportunity. I don't ever remember the persistent standing being so bad. The multiple operations I've had on my legs have had an effect, admittedly, and I've always accepted that there will be portions of the game that you will be on your feet for, but it's never been like this. I haven't been sat for a single second of football since May. I don't accept that it's always been like this either. It was fine last season, and in our previous spell in the PL.

My only worry is that, because of the crowd increases, it's probably going to be extremely difficult for the club to find a solution. If they can't, I may have no choice but to stop attending, through the winter months as a minimum, until I can get into the Trinity or Witton.

I'm sick to the back teeth of it. and I don't mind admitting that I'll be adding my name to the list of complaints tomorrow.

I've been in the Holte since 2007, and I will be getting out at the first opportunity. I don't ever remember the persistent standing being so bad. The multiple operations I've had on my legs have had an effect, admittedly, and I've always accepted that there will be portions of the game that you will be on your feet for, but it's never been like this. I haven't been sat for a single second of football since May. I don't accept that it's always been like this either. It was fine last season, and in our previous spell in the PL.

My only worry is that, because of the crowd increases, it's probably going to be extremely difficult for the club to find a solution. If they can't, I may have no choice but to stop attending, through the winter months as a minimum, until I can get into the Trinity or Witton.

So 12 years of no problems, and now it is a problem.

This is what I've been repeating in this thread, it isn't the fact some stand, it appears to be the fact more and more are standing and it is having a real impact on long standing fans.

My seat is in row 1 of the upper holte so I sit the whole game apart from goal celebrations.

To be honest I have no idea of what goes on behind as to whether people are standing or not. Personally I’d be a bit pissed off if I had to stand up all game as for me sitting is normal at home games.

I know a lot of people are all for it, I think the solution is for standing areas but equally it would have to be implemented carefully otherwise it would upset people who are potentially used to sitting - as the Fear said it’s been all seated since the early 90’s so a lot of people are used to it now.

yeah, but all seater is not a new thing and as said, the flipside is how many people who buy a seat (a seat, to sit on) are having their day ruined I suppose.

If they had just introduced this, I'd get the insidious creeping in all areas of rules etc. But this has been since 1994

I blame the French and vegans personally. (Not thought why yet, but seems a valid place to start!)
I accept the 1994 bit with regard to this, my comment was really aimed at our lives in general where there always seems to be a new bit of legislation being introduced to limit us in some way in areas of our day to day lives.

I accept the 1994 bit with regard to this, my comment was really aimed at our lives in general where there always seems to be a new bit of legislation being introduced to limit us in some way in areas of our day to day lives.

Oh I agree, I descend from Viking heritage and yet when I explain to the coppers I should be allowed to rape and pillage, they just don't accept it at all mate.

:grinning:

I find the whole of football sanitised from what I enjoyed and grew up with. It is almost a non contact sport now and then there are the football tourists! (some of the comments from people in corporate astound me... few guys sitting behind on a company jolly a few games back spent about 10 mins talking about players hair!)

But that is a different debate altogether! I get totally what you are saying, used to love to stand in the Holte, and if you told the modern fan what the conditions were like (remember the troughs that passed as toilets that used to overflow ?!) Ttey would be shocked.

But it is what it is and the club can only operate within whatever the restrictions or laws are. Any club, not just ours.

Oh I agree, I descend from Viking heritage and yet when I explain to the coppers I should be allowed to rape and pillage, they just don't accept it at all mate.

:grinning:

I find the whole of football sanitised from what I enjoyed and grew up with. It is almost a non contact sport now and then there are the football tourists! (some of the comments from people in corporate astound me... few guys sitting behind on a company jolly a few games back spent about 10 mins talking about players hair!)

But that is a different debate altogether! I get totally what you are saying, used to love to stand in the Holte, and if you told the modern fan what the conditions were like (remember the troughs that passed as toilets that used to overflow ?!) Ttey would be shocked.

But it is what it is and the club can only operate within whatever the restrictions or laws are. Any club, not just ours.
Those bloody coppers have got no sense of humour at all.