Stadium is looking shabby | Page 26 | Vital Football

Stadium is looking shabby

So while the joke sport has been played at the JJB/DW how many times has the pitch been replaced? And who has paid for it, how much has the squatters contributed to the overall cost?.

Good idea. Actually a franchise model for rugby Union could finally kill the league version off as the former will be awash with cash. Gets my vote.
The damage has already been done in Rugby League, any new format will suffer the same fate as the current one, The game is well & truly skint.

I think it’s telling that in the wigantoday piece I read today that Lenaghan mentions the likes of Jonathan Jackson, Caroline Molyneux and someone called Gary Speakman
This to me is an attempt to try and show that he wasn’t attempting to destroy Latics but that the idea he’s mentioned over the last week is the one that was being explored hand in hand with the supporters club, JJ, etc. as their plan b
Could be attempting to divert criticism. He could be talking rubbish or he could be telling the truth
Fuckin snake .put the rent up sum more .......

I think it’s telling that in the wigantoday piece I read today that Lenaghan mentions the likes of Jonathan Jackson, Caroline Molyneux and someone called Gary Speakman
This to me is an attempt to try and show that he wasn’t attempting to destroy Latics but that the idea he’s mentioned over the last week is the one that was being explored hand in hand with the supporters club, JJ, etc. as their plan b
Could be attempting to divert criticism. He could be talking rubbish or he could be telling the truth
He's done a 180 quicker than a Bugatti Veyron.
The Wigan Sporting Partnership press release (which is STILL on The Egg Chasers website) was nothing more than a publicity stunt to make them out to be the "caring, sharing, knights in shining armour" types.
Nobody would've bought our club had Lenagan got his greasy mitts all over the Stadium and Christopher Park, that's why in his interview at the fans forum last week, he said he wouldn't have charged us anything for the rental of both sites, because he knew deep down, that offer was just fantasy, because there wouldn't have been a football club there to use the facilities.

Our new owner are business men first and foremost. Here to make money. And will certainly put the rent up. Lenagan won’t kid these men that’s for sure. Wouldn’t surprise. Me if the start looking at a women’s football team soon. As well. As there will be more money going into that than thugby league.

There has be a Wigan Athletic Ladies team for years, although it was nothing to do with Wigan Athletic FC other than they played in the same kit - that Latics used to charge them full price for cost price for.

Edited after checking my facts.

Last edited:
Anyone been reading up about this new Rugby 12 franchise competition being planned? Our owners should make a bid for a franchise. They can play at the DW under a Wigan name in Blue and White. The rent goes back to the stadium company/Latics. The Warriors = frozen out in Robin Park and no longer the biggest Rugby club in their own town. Cheerio!

We tried that at Springfield Park. Blackpool RL moved there in the 80/90s. Then changed their name to Springfield Borough and i think went bust.

On a separate note previously the stadium owners didn't pay the council any ground rent. In return the council had free use of the stadium.
With the council being informed of rent talks. I wonder if they'd use that payment against us if we put the lodgers rent up to much.
I think it was 170kish per annum.

Are the average attendances more than
EFL L1 ?
At the moment all the channels seem to be showing wall to wall coverage of womens footie, is it an agenda or it is really a lot more popular?

It's not for me LazyS, tried watching it but it just doesn't hold my attention....Is it agenda led with the coverage, commentators, punditry etc....imo it is.

EFL L1 ?
At the moment all the channels seem to be showing wall to wall coverage of womens footie, is it an agenda or it is really a lot more popular?

Its hyped up to fuck especially by the BBC, but despite the plugging the public don't appear to be falling for it. The product is poor, and the attendances reflect that.
Everton v Man City, two of the biggest names in womens football drew a crowd of about 5000 on Saturday afternoon, during an international break.

EFL L1 ?
It's far from men's football popular and will surely never reach that level,
but it's growing every year and will continue to do so as the bigger clubs start giving it a proper platform and play more games at their own stadia. The new multi-million quid TV deal is a game changer as well with games on Sky and BBC. The Women's Euros next summer in the UK will be a tipping point for the sport I reckon.

I'd be interested to know the TV ratings Sky will get for a bog standard EFL game compared to say Man Utd Women vs Arsenal Women. I reckon the women's game would get more viewers when taking into account the fanbases of both clubs, so no wonder they've paid good money to snap up the rights.

There has be a Wigan Athletic Ladies team for years, although it was nothing to do with Wigan Athletic FC other than they played in the same kit - that Latics used to charge them full price for.
All the more reason for Phoenix 2021 to form a separate company and create a semi-professional Latics women's team in the women's pyramid. Have them train at Christopher Park a couple of nights a week, play their home games at the DW, boot the Warriors out and the council can't do anything as we have "two sporting clubs" playing at the ground. Two birds one stone.

Can’t say I’ve ever watched women’s football so can’t comment on the quality. However there is only so much sport one can watch without being glued to a sofa and it’s competing against not only men’s football but other sports. I don’t think there is much of an audience for it to warrant all the wall to wall hype and coverage to be honest, but the broadcasters feel they have to do so to satisfy the equality agenda.

We tried that at Springfield Park. Blackpool RL moved there in the 80/90s. Then changed their name to Springfield Borough and i think went bust.

On a separate note previously the stadium owners didn't pay the council any ground rent. In return the council had free use of the stadium.
With the council being informed of rent talks. I wonder if they'd use that payment against us if we put the lodgers rent up to much.
I think it was 170kish per annum.
As you said, Springfield Borough was the reincarnation of the Blackpool Borough Club, who used to play at the old Greyhound Stadium in Rigby Road.
They moved from Wigan at the end of the 1987/88 season onto Chorley, then onto Altrincham, and then back to Blackpool.
The club went bust in 1997.

Can’t say I’ve ever watched women’s football so can’t comment on the quality. However there is only so much sport one can watch without being glued to a sofa and it’s competing against not only men’s football but other sports. I don’t think there is much of an audience for it to warrant all the wall to wall hype and coverage to be honest, but the broadcasters feel they have to do so to satisfy the equality agenda.
Don't bother trying to watch it, it's shite.

Who told you that ?

A mate who was involved for years LMB, although not in recent years admittedly so things may have changed.
I've just checked with him and I was factually inaccurate, my post should have said Latics charged COST price, not FULL price for the kits, I've edited my original post accordingly.

Don't bother trying to watch it, it's shite.
It isn't even up to National league standards, just the PC mad BBC leading everybody into thinking it's a product worth watching.
Down in Torquay on hol till 19th Sept at my mates (tics mon) house 5 mins from Torquays ground so taking in Torquay v Grimsby tomorrow and v Sarfend next Saturday £14 each match concessions.

EFL L1 ?

It seems attendances for women's football aren't as readily available for women's games as they are the men's and they've missed a lot of games over covid, so some of the stats that are available may be from a couple of seasons ago so there could be some growth from then.

But from what i've gathered women's footballs average attendance is lower than most L1 teams. I think there are some big games that draw large attendances (derby games like Chelsea vs Arsenal draw 8k at the start of this season and cup finals have drawn over 40k) but from what i've read most of the women's teams are drawing between 1 and 4k on averages.

Man United with their huge built in fan base i believe only manager to attract about 2k average, i think some of the other bigger sides manage better than that, but the pattern is very much that only a small number of fans from the men's game watch both. So with our much smaller fan base i think if we tried to run a professional women's team we'd probably not draw many fans.

Women's football at this level won't last long as the attendances make it financially unviable for the club's to continue with!Man United for example have a women's wage bill over 300k a week and crowds averaging 2k or there abouts! It's financial suicide,