Stadium is looking shabby | Page 9 | Vital Football

Stadium is looking shabby

Walkers was always a nice pint in the seventies and eighties certainly in the Springfield, the only pub in Wigan that I recall being Higsons was what was called The Blood Tub in Ashton.
I did like Boddies, Gerrard Arms Aspull and The Bridge Horwich always served a good pint, whatever you do don't be tempted to buy Boddies in cans or draught, since they shut the Manc brewery and moved production to Magor and Salmesbury it's taste is unlike any beer that I've ever tasted and I don't mean that in a good way, thanks to the bean counters what was the second or third most popular bitter in the country is almost unheard of now.

The "Blood Tub" was the old Ashton Labour Club, now the Presidential. The Higsons pub was the Robin Hood on the corner opposite the Cross Keys. The Robin Hood is now a Marstons house.

Boddie‘s was poor….unless….you supped it in Manchester….different drink

Thank God for Tetley’s generally in the 70’s….but there again it was a good bit better still over in ‘Sheepshire’

Worthington ’E’ ….barely passable ….

”Whitbread big head …Trophy Bitter….the pint that thinks it’s a quart“ Hmmmm 🤨

Double Diamond didn’t ‘work wonders’….Watney’s Red Barrel …oh no

Holt’s Bitter ….smelled like sick, but weirdly tasted pretty good

Skol/Slalom/Harp lagers, interchangeable yellow fizz

They don’t know they’re born these days ….all thatov said with notable exceptions like Thwaites Theakstons, Tim Taylor’s and the magnificent Moorhouse’s …..there’s too much obsession with craft or ‘extra hopped’ pale ales and the like ….all over hopped shyte …..if I wanted alcoholic ‘grapefruitade’ I’d ask for it.

Sorry, notable mentions for local brewers in Wigan, Warrington (Coach House) and one or two from B****n 😳
Those overhopped craft ales and some of the micro brewed ales rank alongside the Whitbread's, Bass and Matthew Brown for pure shitness.
Flowery tasting crap.

I disagree. There’s a vast array of independent breweries these days with a great range of beers on offer..

There may well be MIW …indeed three or four years ago I reckoned it was the best time ever to be a bitter drinker ….but now I don’t see enough of (what I at least would term)‘traditional bitters‘….not that I dislike em all but there’s too much concentrated on straw coloured IPA and craft ales and they are forever banging on about American Hops ‘double hopped’ and emphasising the ‘citrus flavours’ ….they’re not for me.

There may well be MIW …indeed three or four years ago I reckoned it was the best time ever to be a bitter drinker ….but now I don’t see enough of (what I at least would term)‘traditional bitters‘….not that I dislike em all but there’s too much concentrated on straw coloured IPA and craft ales and they are forever banging on about American Hops ‘double hopped’ and emphasising the ‘citrus flavours’ ….they’re not for me.

I think it depends on the pub. Whilst I prefer those ipas and those hoppy, citrusy beers myself there’s still quite a selection of more malty ones available. And obviously plenty of stouts. For me that’s the beauty of trying new ones due to the selection on offer, even though not all are to ones palate. Far better than the bog standard lager piss on offer - imo.

Where we live there still is a town brewery -Wadworths, can't beat their 6X, fresh from the pump, added bonus is that they deliver by dray horse to pubs in the town centre.
Plus loads of micro breweries in the villages, I would recommend the stout from Plain Ales

The "Blood Tub" was the old Ashton Labour Club, now the Presidential. The Higsons pub was the Robin Hood on the corner opposite the Cross Keys. The Robin Hood is now a Marstons house.
Getting confused then, thought it was the Robin Hood only been in once, used to have a few pints round Ashton on a Friday night back in the seventies, glad that I managed to visit most of the pubs in Wigan and district before they shut em in the
Forget the fruitburst stuff come over to the dark side.

Where we live there still is a town brewery -Wadworths, can't beat their 6X, fresh from the pump, added bonus is that they deliver by dray horse to pubs in the town centre.
Plus loads of micro breweries in the villages, I would recommend the stout from Plain Ales
Nice pint Wadworth 6x used to have it on in The Bridge Horwich which used to be my local, they also had Castle Eden on and a few more decent ales on that I can't recall.

Best pint of bitter by 2 Country miles was Walkers of Warrington. My first local ( Derby Arms Castle Hill ) served it until Greenhalls bought them out late 70s....nothing was ever the same again.

Walkers was always a nice pint in the seventies and eighties certainly in the Springfield, the only pub in Wigan that I recall being Higsons was what was called The Blood Tub in Ashton.
I did like Boddies, Gerrard Arms Aspull and The Bridge Horwich always served a good pint, whatever you do don't be tempted to buy Boddies in cans or draught, since they shut the Manc brewery and moved production to Magor and Salmesbury it's taste is unlike any beer that I've ever tasted and I don't mean that in a good way, thanks to the bean counters what was the second or third most popular bitter in the country is almost unheard of now.
It was the robin hood that sold higsons . The blood tub was a labour club further up the road.

Used to hate the Boddies in the Gerrard Arms, but that was going on for 30 years ago

I heard that difference in taste was purely down to the water as it used to be brewed using a natural spring underneath where the brewery was based in Manchester & whatever is used down in Wales has changed the taste

My own personal preference is a nice, hoppy, cloudy thick New England IPA - I struggle to drink the big brewery cans or pub pints these days. Too fizzy & tasteless to be honest.

Can't understand this obsession at the moment for whacking fruit in beers or sours etc..

Bitters & traditional real ales are too warm & flat for me and I accidentally bought a can of craft stout the other week. Saved it till last but drank it in the end & can honestly say it tasted like I imagine adding the dregs of your flat pint to an end of night ashtray would

My own personal preference is a nice, hoppy, cloudy thick New England IPA - I struggle to drink the big brewery cans or pub pints these days. Too fizzy & tasteless to be honest.

Yep, agreed. When we were in Boston, a couple of years ago, I had one of the best pints I've ever had - Wachusett Wally. Absolutely gorgeous.

NB: Actually, I had a few of 'em !

Best pint of bitter by 2 Country miles was Walkers of Warrington. My first local ( Derby Arms Castle Hill ) served it until Greenhalls bought them out late 70s....nothing was ever the same again.
Well if you supped Greenalls you didn't have to worry about going home smelling of ale.
Walkers was nice I worked behind the bar in what used to be a cracking pub in the seventies the Ben Jonson at Goose Green it was a Walkers house probably supped more than I served.
Walkers also did packs of little stubby bottles called Light Peter and Brown Peter which were delicious, I can still smell the proper ale aroma of these.

I heard that difference in taste was purely down to the water as it used to be brewed using a natural spring underneath where the brewery was based in Manchester & whatever is used down in Wales has changed the taste

Can't understand this obsession at the moment for whacking fruit in beers or sours etc..

Bitters & traditional real ales are too warm & flat for me and I accidentally bought a can of craft stout the other week. Saved it till last but drank it in the end & can honestly say it tasted like I imagine adding the dregs of your flat pint to an end of night ashtray would
If you want fruit in a drink buy a feckin smoothie.

Correct the water was from a spring under the brewery which gave Boddies it's distinct taste and appearance.
I believe that the main reason that the Strangeways brewery was shut was that Inbev or whatever they were called at the time had excess brewing capacity after losing the licence to brew Heineken as Heineken were taking it in house a move that basically rendered the beer undrinkable and ranks with the Schlitz debacle in the States when the brewery changed the recipe for their lager and what was the best selling lager in the US the sales fell off a cliff.

Yep, agreed. When we were in Boston, a couple of years ago, I had one of the best pints I've ever had - Wachusett Wally. Absolutely gorgeous.

NB: Actually, I had a few of 'em !

I'll keep a look out for it. Where I've been getting my cans from over the last few years has started to stock too many double & triple IPA's & they're too strong tasting for me (if I wanted to drink Special brew strength ales I'd buy that as it's much cheaper!!) & fruit beers (if they have to stick fruit in it then it can't be that good in the first place) so I'm looking for alternative suppliers

Correct the water was from a spring under the brewery which gave Boddies it's distinct taste and appearance.
I believe that the main reason that the Strangeways brewery was shut was that Inbev or whatever they were called at the time had excess brewing capacity after losing the licence to brew Heineken as Heineken were taking it in house a move that basically rendered the beer undrinkable and ranks with the Schlitz debacle in the States when the brewery changed the recipe for their lager and what was the best selling lager in the US the sales fell off a cliff.

Who'd have thought that a spring based in an area that used to be a slum & was next to a prison would produce such good water?? The big brewers don't care & see everything purely in numbers

I'd always just thought that they'd put the brewery next to the prison to taunt the prisoners!!

I'll keep a look out for it. Where I've been getting my cans from over the last few years has started to stock too many double & triple IPA's & they're too strong tasting for me (if I wanted to drink Special brew strength ales I'd buy that as it's much cheaper!!) & fruit beers (if they have to stick fruit in it then it can't be that good in the first place) so I'm looking for alternative suppliers

I don't remember it being so specifically "orangey" (as mentioned in some of the reviews) but even so, it was lovely.

https://hoppyboston.com/2017/06/26/wachusett-wally/

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/20/264968/