Stadium is looking shabby | Page 32 | Vital Football

Stadium is looking shabby

Out side both bars the one home end that the supporters club use and the away end are awful to look at. Let’s not forget these lot only paid 3 million for lock stock and barrel. Yes bogs are ok food compared to other football clubs is rip off and not very good at all. Bloody Wigan are famous for pies and the one we sell are crap

I really don't see anything wrong with the DW Stadium, i went to Rangers for the friendly a couple of years ago what a shit tip that place is, my first visit to Aston Villa a couple of years ago i was absolutely shocked at that stadium and its surroundings another shit tip.

Give me the DW any day!

The concourses are most certainly not fine. Ripped posters on the walls and torn Latics signage going up the stairs and of course no working TVs in the East Stand.

Now I’ve never used the corporate facilities, but I’d love to know how a lick of paint and a few new ovens for the kitchen adds up to a million quid?! Make no mistake, we’ll probably have to pay this back in the form of Sodexo gaining a percentage of our profits from any upgrade across the entirely of that long term contract we’ve signed with them, so it’d be nice to actually know the specifics of what is being done.

Out side both bars the one home end that the supporters club use and the away end are awful to look at. Let’s not forget these lot only paid 3 million for lock stock and barrel. Yes bogs are ok food compared to other football clubs is rip off and not very good at all. Bloody Wigan are famous for pies and the one we sell are crap

I agree about the pies. Synonymous with the town and they should be better than what they are. They are pretty shocking. Though that has nothing to do with the quality of the stadium, but I do accept it can affect the matchday experience if the food is poor. A decent pie company could clean up if they supplied.

Re the bars, I don’t frequent them so no idea what ale they have on, though people are looking for more than the bog standard carling or similar piss these days. However I can’t say they look out of place and given they only open on matchdays spending huge amounts to tart up the outside is probably a waste of money.

I'd imagine that the pies are provided under the contract with Sodexho as opposed to being sourced directly by the club.

As for the East Stand issues, what on earth do you lot do over there? Nowt up wi' t' west stand concourse ... tellys work too.

I must admit, I'd prefer em to have the Wily Fox on like they used to, but the Madri is just about drinkable.

I'd imagine that the pies are provided under the contract with Sodexho as opposed to being sourced directly by the club.

As for the East Stand issues, what on earth do you lot do over there? Nowt up wi' t' west stand concourse ... tellys work too.

I must admit, I'd prefer em to have the Wily Fox on like they used to, but the Madri is just about drinkable.

Galloways need to get themselves a mobile catering van. Would make a bloody killing on matchdays - or other similar events.

None of the tv’s in the east work. Haven’t counted them but must be 16-20 of them. No idea why. Frustrating as can’t get an O2 signal so keeping upto date on scores is hard.

As for the ale, Madri seems a popular choice. Think the owners of Carling distribute it but they use their size to foist their shit carling onto clubs as they get it cheap so the markup is high. So I get why Wily Fox is no longer on unfortunately There is a pub near me in wheelton called the Top Lock. Was highly popular, particularly in spring/summer and served a great range of real as the landlord Phil resisted the owners - Heineken - in selling their crap. Food was good too but unpretentious. Held an excellent annual beer festival. Forced him out as they put the rent up as a consequence of him not taking their shit range of ale. It got a new owner that served said crap and unsurprisingly it was no longer popular. It’s now shut pending some gullible new landlord flogging their crap and paying extortionate rent. A prime example of a large company not understanding the market and ruining a good local pub at the heart of the community. They need to flog it as it doesn’t fit in their business portfolio. I’ll get off my soap box but it really pisses me off as there’s no consideration for what customers want.

Must be something wrong with how they warm up those pies or keep them warm because I often get these from Spar at two for £2.40. Even warmed up in the microwave they are pretty good. Steak, Meat and Prater or Butter pies are all consistently decent. Not quite Galloways but totally ok at that price.

Galloways need to get themselves a mobile catering van. Would make a bloody killing on matchdays - or other similar events.

None of the tv’s in the east work. Haven’t counted them but must be 16-20 of them. No idea why. Frustrating as can’t get an O2 signal so keeping upto date on scores is hard.

As for the ale, Madri seems a popular choice. Think the owners of Carling distribute it but they use their size to foist their shit carling onto clubs as they get it cheap so the markup is high. So I get why Wily Fox is no longer on unfortunately There is a pub near me in wheelton called the Top Lock. Was highly popular, particularly in spring/summer and served a great range of real as the landlord Phil resisted the owners - Heineken - in selling their crap. Food was good too but unpretentious. Held an excellent annual beer festival. Forced him out as they put the rent up as a consequence of him not taking their shit range of ale. It got a new owner that served said crap and unsurprisingly it was no longer popular. It’s now shut pending some gullible new landlord flogging their crap and paying extortionate rent. A prime example of a large company not understanding the market and ruining a good local pub at the heart of the community. They need to flog it as it doesn’t fit in their business portfolio. I’ll get off my soap box but it really pisses me off as there’s no consideration for what customers want.
Brilliant pub when Mo was the manager. Made a good curry too.

Brilliant pub when Mo was the manager. Made a good curry too.

Yeah he was. Every Tuesday wasn’t it his curry night. Really good food and very reasonable too. As I said very unpretentious but really quality. Think he followed Phil to the Red Lion for a brief period. Went down hill when they were effectively forced out by the management company who then proceeded to change everything that was good about the place that made it what it was. Prime location too on a canal bank and good really good summer trade. A prime example of how to ruin a good business by having no local knowledge. Scandalous and really annoys me.

Sodexo are crap, said that when they were announced as catering suppliers,they were the caterers at Manc Royal Infirmary when I had a few stays in there in 2020 and I ended up getting family members to supply my own food.

I really don't see anything wrong with the DW Stadium, i went to Rangers for the friendly a couple of years ago what a shit tip that place is, my first visit to Aston Villa a couple of years ago i was absolutely shocked at that stadium and its surroundings another shit tip.

Give me the DW any day!
Both of the club's you mention have Guinness.Not seen a pint of the black stuff at the DW for years come on Wigan get a grip 🍀🍀

Sodexo are crap, said that when they were announced as catering suppliers,they were the caterers at Manc Royal Infirmary when I had a few stays in there in 2020 and I ended up getting family members to supply my own food.

Sodexho used to run our works canteen, and to be fair, the food was very good. I suppose the issue with them providing meals for the NHS may have a lot to do with the budget they could set per meal, given the price at which they won the contract ... allowing of course for them to "skim off" their profit/dividends.

There's no doubt that in the DW,
a) they could be using better quality (local) pies, and
b) the prices could be a damn sight cheaper.

I agree about the pies. Synonymous with the town and they should be better than what they are. They are pretty shocking. Though that has nothing to do with the quality of the stadium, but I do accept it can affect the matchday experience if the food is poor. A decent pie company could clean up if they supplied.

Re the bars, I don’t frequent them so no idea what ale they have on, though people are looking for more than the bog standard carling or similar piss these days. However I can’t say they look out of place and given they only open on matchdays spending huge amounts to tart up the outside is probably a waste of money.

If you think back, it's only around 3 or 4 years ago that there was a major overall refurb of the lounges. The seats in the stadium look faded and shabby and give a poor impression, especially when we are on TV. The floodlights are very poor and need upgrading to white light, after all things are now 23years old and time takes its toll on all of us.

The pies at Pompey were fit. I had a chicken balti one & it was none of the pukka pie muck (I've had their equivalent at Oldham & Bradford & they were rank) - seemed to be a local bakery or at least supplier rather than that mass produced Pukka, Ginsters type stuff

The club won't pay what Galloways charge for catering annoyingly. Clayton Park though offers cheap mass stock so they just go with them and have the audacity to try and portray them as a (local business). No, they are sourced from Accrington.

I've not had food from the DW concourse in years to be fair, not since Pooles Pies. I get my dinner from Galloways before games usually. Used to have the odd pint pre administration, but the return of the horse piss that is Carling as the primary lager put paid to that.

Regarding floodlights, they do need upgrading but the club won't pay the 500k approx that it'll cost to go LED. They'll probably be of the opinion of whilst the current still just about do the job, the money can be used elsewhere.

They ran the catering at the place I worked in Coventry, average at best. Always best to choose the veggy option.

Jock will know about Sodexho's ways because he is in the trade

Sodexho used to run our works canteen, and to be fair, the food was very good. I suppose the issue with them providing meals for the NHS may have a lot to do with the budget they could set per meal, given the price at which they won the contract ... allowing of course for them to "skim off" their profit/dividends.

There's no doubt that in the DW,
a) they could be using better quality (local) pies, and
b) the prices could be a damn sight cheaper.
It could be the budget but most of the stuff was very unimaginative, talking to other Hospital inpatients at other non Sodexo operated sites they said the food was good, Not expecting 4 star hotel quality but the fare was dire.

The club won't pay what Galloways charge for catering annoyingly. Clayton Park though offers cheap mass stock so they just go with them and have the audacity to try and portray them as a (local business). No, they are sourced from Accrington.

I've not had food from the DW concourse in years to be fair, not since Pooles Pies. I get my dinner from Galloways before games usually. Used to have the odd pint pre administration, but the return of the horse piss that is Carling as the primary lager put paid to that.

Regarding floodlights, they do need upgrading but the club won't pay the 500k approx that it'll cost to go LED. They'll probably be of the opinion of whilst the current still just about do the job, the money can be used elsewhere.
Been to Galloways om Park Rd a bit back and it was very good and also busy always a good sign, not been to the stadium since lockdown but kept my season ticket in the South as the seats are well located for the exits/toilets.
The pie and mushy peas that I had pre Sodexo was good but my lad didn't rate the Sodexo ones, not a fan of supping at the ground usually call at the Duggie Bank for a couple watch the dinnertime match then go round to the ground leaving the car at the pub, good cheap beer.
Can't wait to get back to the stadium next season after a crap couple of years.