Stadium is looking shabby | Page 11 | Vital Football

Stadium is looking shabby

The egg chasers are planning it or Wigan council? The former won’t be funding it that’s for sure as makes no financial sense. Given their rent is pitiful it won’t make much difference to the stadium owners and would actually increase its viability through increased opportunities for alternate uses throughout the summer period.
The council splashed out six million quid in developing a training centre there for them. Can't see them spending even more money even though they are their favourites.

The council splashed out six million quid in developing a training centre there for them. Can't see them spending even more money even though they are their favourites.
Wigan is a rugby town remember lol

Don't know how true this is, yesterday I was talking to two rugby fans
And they told me warriors are planning to turn the stadium next door into a 15k rugby stadium
Three stands for seating one standing
Now I have known these two lads from way back
So I do think there might be some truth in this for the future
Anyone else heard about this
Think that’s been the long term plan ever since they got hold of Robin Park. The problem is where’s the money to do it coming from.

Would be a wonderful day if it ever happens.

Formerly ….The Woodhouses pub ….scruffy old place in the 70’s …I worked briefly at the old GKN place next door and went in occasionally at lunch times …..it may well be much nicer today but I haven’t been in for decades…….baCk then the Belle Vue and Prince of Wales opp the Latics supporters club were better…..especially the latter.

These were the days when nipping to the pub for a pint and a game of pool at dinner was the norm, frowned on or often banned these days. Not that I work anymore 😀
Woodhouses was behind Farmfoods if my memory serves me well.

And they told me warriors are planning to turn the stadium next door into a 15k rugby stadium

Bicky, I heard on Friday from “someone who knows someone” in a position at the Council that it was unlikely that the Rugby’s tenancy at the DW would continue in the long term and that ‘a parting of the ways’ was on the cards …didn’t specify how soon this might be.
Now I didn’t hear anything about Robin Park arena being an alternative venue but I have to say it does make sense ….so what you heard might well have some basis in fact?
There’d be a lot of money required but maybe that is why they recruited that London based Wigan billionaire to their board a few months ago ? That said if all that were true then maybe Lenagan wouldn’t have been trying so hard to get the stadium during our recent tribulations …..but perhaps this Robin Park scheme is the back up plan ??

Mind you what I also heard was that aside from the Council basically giving the Arena to the Rugby, they also contributed the best part of a million towards refurb/repair costs …..which (if true and I don’t know if it is or isn’t) is staggering really.

A lot of rumour and conjecture to be fair …..but it does sound like something may be ‘in play’

Bicky, I heard on Friday from “someone who knows someone” in a position at the Council that it was unlikely that the Rugby’s tenancy at the DW would continue in the long term and that ‘a parting of the ways’ was on the cards …didn’t specify how soon this might be.
Now I didn’t hear anything about Robin Park arena being an alternative venue but I have to say it does make sense ….so what you heard might well have some basis in fact?
There’d be a lot of money required but maybe that is why they recruited that London based Wigan billionaire to their board a few months ago ? That said if all that were true then maybe Lenagan wouldn’t have been trying so hard to get the stadium during our recent tribulations …..but perhaps this Robin Park scheme is the back up plan ??

Mind you what I also heard was that aside from the Council basically giving the Arena to the Rugby, they also contributed the best part of a million towards refurb/repair costs …..which (if true and I don’t know if it is or isn’t) is staggering really.

A lot of rumour and conjecture to be fair …..but it does sound like something may be ‘in play’
Maybe a move to Reebock as originally planned or St Helens.

It's no big secret the Rugby don't like being our lodgers.
Been on the cards for years (although not always with Robin Park Arena in mind).
I seem to remember they enquired about the land where the Asda Distribution Centre was situated in Goose Green, and also a possible share with Lancashire CCC at a purpose built stadium in Westwood (obviously that was before the new A49 bypass was given the green light).

….correct …..apologies….The Woodhouses is now (assuming it’s still there) The Keepers ?…..as in lock keepers I think ?
Yes, the name was related to the canal i.e. specifically the locks. Pretty sure it's long gone, demolished and houses built on it, perhaps someone can verify this? A few of us used to go jammin on a Thursday night about 25 years ago. The landlord was from Warrington, called Neil... absolute top bloke. Ended up" rough as" in work the day after on a good many occasions, happy days.

I can see them doing it - not that they should have paid for the first refurb (as specd by the rugby) and the upgrade to catering which allows reduced spend in our stadium, in itself disgraceful - Pollard and Maureece before him - had and have the council on strings. Still, sure the core 5555 gravy stained chubbies will appreciate it !

I can see them doing it - not that they should have paid for the first refurb (as specd by the rugby) and the upgrade to catering which allows reduced spend in our stadium, in itself disgraceful - Pollard and Maureece before him - had and have the council on strings. Still, sure the core 5555 gravy stained chubbies will appreciate it !
9000 there today for the Wigan Metro derby with Leigh.

I see talal has been visiting around town last couple of days ,and was introduced to wigan council
Where he had a slap up meal laid on by the council ,and also met a few from council
I hope it was just a lets get to know each other get together
And not the council bullshitting talal with its rugby shyte trying to say its still a rugby town and all that crap

I see talal has been visiting around town last couple of days ,and was introduced to wigan council
Where he had a slap up meal laid on by the council ,and also met a few from council
I hope it was just a lets get to know each other get together
And not the council bullshitting talal with its rugby shyte trying to say its still a rugby town and all that crap
Bicky, though I understand your hatred of all things rugby related, I can't get my head round why you'd think the council would promote itself as a rugby town in a meeting with the new chairman of the town's football club.

Given the reports that the council were very supportive of Phoenix 2021 buying the club, the meeting makes sense both from a PR and a future relationship point of view.

Bicky, though I understand your hatred of all things rugby related, I can't get my head round why you'd think the council would promote itself as a rugby town in a meeting with the new chairman of the town's football club.

Given the reports that the council were very supportive of Phoenix 2021 buying the club, the meeting makes sense both from a PR and a future relationship point of view.
I understand you not getting your head around it mate,you have to be a wiganer and lived in wigan to understand it
Mostly down to past history ,you might not have been around back then but a few on here know what i mean
I have to say its not the game of rugby i hate its just wigan rugby ,
Nothing wrong with st helens and the other clubs