Stadium is looking shabby | Page 33 | Vital Football

Stadium is looking shabby

Nowt wrong with the pies themselves, but the way they are kept is a different matter. Leaving them for an hour or so on a heated tray overcooks the pastry on the bottom making it hard and unpalatable.

If you get them early enough they are not bad, obviously not a patch on Galloways but I suspect if we were to get Galloways in they would be ruined in much the same way. Very much like many a pint I have had, if it is kept as the brewers recommend most are decent, but if the landlord doesn't look after it and clean his lines regularly it tastes shit.

Lots of people used to slag Greenalls bitter off, but having drunk it in the Saracens Head ( the brewery tap) opposite the old brewery, I can honestly say it was a lovely brew. I would also say the same with the old Higsons brew and Holt's as both were considered difficult to keep, but if kept right were great pints.

Been to Galloways om Park Rd a bit back and it was very good and also busy always a good sign,.

LaticssinceCL….there is no Galloways on Park Road , but there is a ‘Muffin Man’ ?….whose pies (other than meat and potato) are a decent match up to Galloways and at significantly lower prices

Last edited:
Lots of people used to slag Greenalls bitter off, but having drunk it in the Saracens Head ( the brewery tap) opposite the old brewery, I can honestly say it was a lovely brew. I would also say the same with the old Higsons brew and Holt's as both were considered difficult to keep, but if kept right were great pints.

Holt’s bitter smelled pretty unpleasant ….but…tasted good !
Greenalls round Wigan in the 70’s/80’s was dreadful ….unless you tracked down a pint of ‘Festival’ which was much, much better.
Boddingtons in Manchester was good, but dire around here ….either it wasn’t kept well or it didn’t ‘travel’

Tetleys was my favourite when it was well managed, I had a good few ordinary pints here and there but the Bitter at the Kings Arms at the main crossroads in Ashton in the late 70’s was the stuff of dreams !

LaticssinceCL….there is no Galloways on Park Road , but there is a ‘Muffin Man’ ?….whose pies (other than meat and potato) are a decent match up to Galloways and at significantly lower prices
Muffin man, that was it confusing the two.

Holt’s bitter smelled pretty unpleasant ….but…tasted good !
Greenalls round Wigan in the 70’s/80’s was dreadful ….unless you tracked down a pint of ‘Festival’ which was much, much better.
Boddingtons in Manchester was good, but dire around here ….either it wasn’t kept well or it didn’t ‘travel’

Tetleys was my favourite when it was well managed, I had a good few ordinary pints here and there but the Bitter at the Kings Arms at the main crossroads in Ashton in the late 70’s was the stuff of dreams !
Holts bitter is nice but I've switched to their Mild when I can get it, lovely stuff.
Greenalls was very hit and miss used to sup it in the Wellfield in the seventies and early eighties and just like a box of chocolates you never knew what you were going to get.
Boddies was always a decent pint when I had it in the Bridge in Horwich and the Gerrard Arms in Aspull and the pub on Ormskirk Rd whose name escapes me.
When Inbev shut the Strangeways brewery and transferred production (I won't call it brewing) to Salmesbury and Magor they fecked the taste up big style and what was the second or third favourite bitter in the country virtually disappeard, don't be tempted to try it even if it's heavily discounted, what was the cream of Manchester is now the swill of Salmesbury and South Wales.
Walkers was always a good pint.

Having seen the videos of the lads being given the ultimate VIP treatment in Vegas, which trust me will have cost around the six-figure mark, I'm starting to think I should be less forgiving of the club not wanting to fork out 500k for new LED floodlights!

Holts bitter is nice but I've switched to their Mild when I can get it, lovely stuff.
Greenalls was very hit and miss used to sup it in the Wellfield in the seventies and early eighties and just like a box of chocolates you never knew what you were going to get.
Boddies was always a decent pint when I had it in the Bridge in Horwich and the Gerrard Arms in Aspull and the pub on Ormskirk Rd whose name escapes me.
When Inbev shut the Strangeways brewery and transferred production (I won't call it brewing) to Salmesbury and Magor they fecked the taste up big style and what was the second or third favourite bitter in the country virtually disappeard, don't be tempted to try it even if it's heavily discounted, what was the cream of Manchester is now the swill of Salmesbury and South Wales.
Walkers was always a good pint.

The problem with Boddies was that when they were taken over they immediately dropped the ABV (Alcohol by Volume) to avoid taxation and lower the price which although it was still being brewed at Strangeways altered the taste. They then moved production and the change of water in the brew completely killed it for me.

I reckon that would have been ’The Bowling Green‘ between Union Bridge and The Saddle ….long since shut now …that and the Jawbone were the nearest pubs to where I grew up but I never set foot in either

I reckon that would have been ’The Bowling Green‘ between Union Bridge and The Saddle ….long since shut now …that and the Jawbone were the nearest pubs to where I grew up but I never set foot in either

Good pub The Jawbone, decent pint and good atmosphere. Had many a pint in there over the years.

Remember it now used the Bowling Green a bit and sometimes called in for a pint on my way to the Latics.
Sad how many good pubs have gone to the wall, Pagefield still boarded up used to like a game of darts there and in the Beech Tree in the seventies.

Remember it now used the Bowling Green a bit and sometimes called in for a pint on my way to the Latics.
Sad how many good pubs have gone to the wall, Pagefield still boarded up used to like a game of darts there and in the Beech Tree in the seventies.

WAFC board meetings occasionally took place in the Pagefield back in the seventies.

WAFC board meetings occasionally took place in the Pagefield back in the seventies.
Ted Danson kept a nice pub they still had some Magees beers on when I went in BB was one, no poncey lager on draught then, if you wanted lager it was in bottles on the warm shelf.

I don't think it does look shabby since they stopped the wurriors from hanging their shit from the south stand