Stacey West Expansion | Page 8 | Vital Football

Stacey West Expansion

Shrewsbury's safe standing area was the whole of the top third of the stand behind the goal.

The parking issue is bad, but it has got worse since the stadium opened as two car parks they used to use are no longer available. A field across the road has now been developed for housing and the Garden Centre which used to allow parking, a couple of hundred yards to the east, has also been moved and the plot re-developed for housing.

In other words, because neither Shrewsbury nor the Council actually owned any of the overspill they have no control over it and it has gone.

I think access is still the biggest issue. With the new fire/police station I don’t think there will ever be any direct access from South Park. It might be possible to re-open Sincil Bank itself as a club only access but not sure if that would be possible.

I think you are misunderstanding what access is. For a stadium access and egress from Sincil Bank for a crowd is great. It's exactly what modern design and access wants. You have multiple points of entry and egress in lots of directions but vehicle access is limited.

Just think about, you can walk down Sincil Bank either way North or South. There are multiple routes out to the High Street to the West. You can go away East down to South Park and there is also Cross Street heading North with multiple routes of it.

For stadium distribution it doesn't get much better than. You are dispersing a crowd in multiple directions on foot therefore dispersing congestion evenly and not creating vehicular bottle necks.

People seem to think that access is all about vehicles and in terms of stadium design and crowd dispersal it's not. That's why generally getting away from Sincil Bank for a large crowd works incredibly well. That's why a lot of new stadia make people walk!

Selenity stand is the way it is because of relegation out of the league, reduced by half as a panic measure by the then board to manage costs. As one of the first post-Bradford stands, it is however incredibly wasteful of space.

If your a reasonably intelligent Chairman or board member and you have a design for a full width new stand but get relegated from the Football League and because of that you cut the stand in half just seems ludicrous to me.
Surely you say ok we cant afford that now so we go back to th drawing board.
That stand is an embarrassment to the club and whoever designed it and whoever gave it the go ahead to be built.

I think you are misunderstanding what access is. For a stadium access and egress from Sincil Bank for a crowd is great. It's exactly what modern design and access wants. You have multiple points of entry and egress in lots of directions but vehicle access is limited.

Just think about, you can walk down Sincil Bank either way North or South. There are multiple routes out to the High Street to the West. You can go away East down to South Park and there is also Cross Street heading North with multiple routes of it.

For stadium distribution it doesn't get much better than. You are dispersing a crowd in multiple directions on foot therefore dispersing congestion evenly and not creating vehicular bottle necks.

People seem to think that access is all about vehicles and in terms of stadium design and crowd dispersal it's not. That's why generally getting away from Sincil Bank for a large crowd works incredibly well. That's why a lot of new stadia make people walk!
Agree whole heartedly with your reply regarding match day access, in fact it sells the remain at the Bank /LNER arguement very well. It was the non match day usage I meant where vehicle access via Scorer St or off the maze is rather less appealing and to be honest, that is the only thing against staying. Everything else about our current location is bang on.

Some people are really great at telling the club what parts of the ground to redevelop and what type of structure to build there. One person in particular seems fixated on the immediate replacement of the St Andrews Stand. Trouble is, where is the £20 million coming from to pay for these fantasies?

As Liam Scully has explained, any redevelopment for the foreseeable future will be dependent on grants, so naturally will be limited in scope. That will remain the case at least until a decision is finally made over whether a new stadium is feasible or not, and that is exactly how it should be. Unless a huge windfall lands in our lap, nothing substantial is going to happen either at Sincil Bank or elsewhere. The Stacey West extension seems entirely sensible, although it essentially addresses the lesser issue of capacity, rather than the main challenge of increasing income.

Usually with large crowds and vehicles it seems that official policy is to limit how fast cars leave the car parks so the impact to surrounding roads is minimised.

Some people are really great at telling the club what parts of the ground to redevelop and what type of structure to build there. One person in particular seems fixated on the immediate replacement of the St Andrews Stand. Trouble is, where is the £20 million coming from to pay for these .

Dont think anyone is telling the club what to do. People are just voicing their opinions on what they would like to happen but are realistic enough to know that although we would love a couple of brand spanking new stands full of money making opportunities or a brand new city centre stadium everyone knows that without some sort of huge investment from somewhere we are going to have to do as we are doing and take small steps on improving our current facilities whilst living within our means.

I agree the club should be applauded for this, I’m very excited about it. I want to stay at Sincil Bank 100%.

I just believe that if we do stay, the Selenity, Stacey West and the Bridge McFarland stands all need to be integrated. As in not separate stands but a 3 sided stadium.

Making them top spec, maximising space for seating but also facilities for non match day revenues.

Having the ability to use the stadium on non match days with conference rooms and event spaces will only help the long term finance plan for the club.

I used to live behind the Emirates Stadium and those facilities got used everyday. I know it’s London and it’s a Premiership ground but these types of incomes could make us a financial solid Championship Level club.

This new planned stand doesn’t do that for me. I realise it’s short / medium term but why spend money twice. That’s just my opinion...

It would take either a complete rebuild of Sincil Bank or a new stadium to become anything like the conference facilities at the Emirates stadium. The Emirates can host over a thousand delegates and have numerous presentation lounges.

https://projectcontrolexpo.com/testimonial

It would take either a complete rebuild of Sincil Bank or a new stadium to become anything like the conference facilities at the Emirates stadium. The Emirates can host over a thousand delegates and have numerous presentation lounges.

https://projectcontrolexpo.com/testimonial
Obviously it would scaled down... I’m not expecting The Emirates. But the business methodology for 7 days a week earnings could boost the finances of a club like ours

That's excellent news!

Well I am going to go out and buy a Euro millions ticket for tonight and if I win the jackpot I will give them the money so they can get it built! In fact if it's a big one I will give them enough money to make it a cantilever roof and go the whole hog!

The jackpot tonight will be under £15M...

Obviously it would scaled down... I’m not expecting The Emirates. But the business methodology for 7 days a week earnings could boost the finances of a club like ours

7 DAYS A WEEK EARNING...............I LIKE THE SOUND OF THAT!
Non footballing revenues must be lifted from their current doldrum levels and the templates are out there we just need to check the feasibilities and act on the viable propositions.

Last edited:
The voice of the fans from the echo won't be as he was told it wouldn't go through as there were loads of objections from the residents.