Squad - Where We Are Now | Page 2 | Vital Football

Squad - Where We Are Now

If runs true to previous seasons not only will we not have all signings in place for pre-season, won’t have them for the 1st game. Maybe I’m imagining it but didn’t we start last season with Edun for example (seems a lifetime ago).
I am hoping that new fitness head, will a) keep more people on the grass ( say we’d got 30 games out of Walsh & Bridcutt I’m sure we’d have finished higher (& not specifically those players next season but an example)) and b) make us physically stronger . I think that could make a difference with some of the same players

Harsh, certainly on Ben House. In a short time, I thought he looked perfectly comfortable in League 1. For me, he will do well for us, although probably not as a right winger.
Never said he won't come good. But in my eyes, like you just said he is not a winger. I would play him up front as a striker. All I was trying to say is we need a right winger

It’s asking too much for youngsters to come in and perform well over an entire season. It may be too much for the more experienced based on what we saw last year re: injuries. The younger squad members will look good for a few games, but the season will be too draining over all. Still a fair bit of business to be done, I hope.

We’re allowed to have 5 loanees in the matchday squad, and I fully expect all 5 slots to be filled.

Plenty of business on its way.

We’re allowed to have 5 loanees in the matchday squad, and I fully expect all 5 slots to be filled.

Plenty of business on its way.

Last summer, the plan was to not do this right? Have less loans and more permanent players around the matchday squad to develop our own. I'm sure Appleton said words to that effect in interviews around that window.

Obviously the way that went in the first half of the season there was perhaps a bit more short termism in January but not exactly sure what the club policy on this is now. A smattering of high quality ones (your BNC types) makes sense, but less sure about your Cullen type ones tbh unless the plan is to try before you buy...

Hopefully they are still pursueing Burgh GK from Sunderland, and are QPR still interested in Wright, more money for his pot. From what I can remember Burgh is a really decent GK.

My preferred keeper scenario is still Long to go out on loan in this country for a full season as a no.1, we sign an experienced no.1 and Wright sits as no.2 and plays the Papa Johns etc.

I'd like Long to experience the more like, highs and lows of a season and not be a risk if there's a loss of form. Wright (and I know this upsets people as he did well initially) played himself out of being a competitor for no.1 at the end of the season IMO, too many handling errors. If they'd come spread out as opposed to playing well in the first 5/6 games and then having them at the end I don't think it would even be a consideration. But perfectly useful no.2

I think they might be thinking about Long as no.1 though, not sure. It seems like he did super well at Drogheda. But I see it a bit like going without an experienced midfielder - it's a position I wouldn't want to take a risk on as it could leave you exposed and it's already going to be a young-ish squad a bit short on leaders etc. Don't throw the keeper in the mix. Even Palmer/Griffiths being youngish loanees had had full seasons at other clubs prior to being no.1 here.

The season starts early enough to give Long a go and then look at performances and budget in August.

I’d go Long number one to start. Has done well in his performances for the Imps and elsewhere. You only know if he’s good enough if you play him.

My preferred keeper scenario is still Long to go out on loan in this country for a full season as a no.1, we sign an experienced no.1 and Wright sits as no.2 and plays the Papa Johns etc.

I'd like Long to experience the more like, highs and lows of a season and not be a risk if there's a loss of form. Wright (and I know this upsets people as he did well initially) played himself out of being a competitor for no.1 at the end of the season IMO, too many handling errors. If they'd come spread out as opposed to playing well in the first 5/6 games and then having them at the end I don't think it would even be a consideration. But perfectly useful no.2

I think they might be thinking about Long as no.1 though, not sure. It seems like he did super well at Drogheda. But I see it a bit like going without an experienced midfielder - it's a position I wouldn't want to take a risk on as it could leave you exposed and it's already going to be a young-ish squad a bit short on leaders etc. Don't throw the keeper in the mix. Even Palmer/Griffiths being youngish loanees had had full seasons at other clubs prior to being no.1 here.
But they had to start somewhere.
Then you have to convince a L2 side to take Sam as a No 1 - again imagine if when we were in L2 we signed as our main keeper someone with 1 league appearance is it?

Then you have to convince a L2 side to take Sam as a No 1 - again imagine if when we were in L2 we signed as our main keeper someone with 1 league appearance is it?

Doesn't have to be L2. Full season as a number one in National League will do him nicely.

Then again, we were giving chance to young and prone to mistakes keepers being here only on loan for the past two seasons. So why not to give it to our own young player ?

I would still go for option one. Let Sam get some experience in lets say NL and get ourselves more experienced goalie for this season.

As for Wright I'm not sold on him despite couple of good performances. To many simple mistakes. Good as a back up for me.

Yeah, but if his ability is good as we seem to think, other teams lower in the pyramid are more likely to consider taking a gamble on him right? Whether that's National League, L2, whatever. It's the same with West Brom loaning out Griffiths to L2, and him doing well, L1 team picking him up etc rather than coming straight to us.

15 games where he excelled at Drogheda is fantastic but it seems like he was making great saves every week and there was no dip in form or anything after a tentative start when he was making his first appearances.

I think a full season would do him good though somewhere and be better for us. You could use the above argument to just never loan out anyone as they have to start somewhere surely?

Last edited:
Still 5 weeks to go obviously but we still need far better options in midfield and up front.

I'm with Rasen r.e. Long out on loan, Wright at a number two and a new first choice 'keeper.

Defence I'm generally happy with.

Still 5 weeks to go obviously but we still need far better options in midfield and up front.

I'm with Rasen r.e. Long out on loan, Wright at a number two and a new first choice 'keeper.

Defence I'm generally happy with.

I think defence I pretty much am, just if the intention is to play expansively there may be a question if robson and Poole are first choice full backs? Different proposition to BNC and Bramall even if they have ability / their strengths.

The left back side probably depends for me if Roughan is seen a genuine first team option this year and if so is that cb / lb or cb. Either way, it's a lower priority than a lot of other positions!

My preference is Long as our no.1 with someone more experienced competing and ready to step in when Long needs protecting.

Wright to go out on loan to practice holding on to the ball.

My preference is Long as our no.1 with someone more experienced competing and ready to step in when Long needs protecting.

Wright to go out on loan to practice holding on to the ball.

That sort of farman / preece arrangement wasn't too bad at the time, as a similar thing

Some rumours on Banter that Maguire has gone. Don't know if there is substance behind this or BS.