Squad - Where We Are Now | Page 7 | Vital Football

Squad - Where We Are Now

Yep and I’m definately one. 2 fullbacks who haven’t played as wingbacks and their main attributes are defending. A 2 man lightweight midfield, have we not learnt from last year? Might as well hold up a sign allowing free access to destroy our defence.

Agree to an extent John, but what would be your line up from the currentsquad?

Just under 3 weeks to the start and I was just mulling over what team I'd put out if the Exeter game was tomorrow
I'd go wing backs in a 3-4-3 /5-2-3 (when defending)

Rushworth
Poole Jackson O'Connor
Eyoma Bishop Sanders Robson
Scully Hopper Vernam

Subs: Long Roughan Oakley-Boothe Sorensen Kendall House Benn

Mandriou won't be ready due to his knock and perhaps Walsh wouldn't be quite ready. Montsma I don't expect to see until the autumn.

If that's the team announced when I take my seat on the 30th I'd be quite excited to see how it gelled. I think talk of 2/3 extra signings just might be unnecessary as it stands.

I'm sure some will disagree
It could well be that but not how I see it...

I would have thought we are much more likely to play a back four.

The extra defender seems much more likely to be cover for Poole leaving.

TJ is definitely not a wing back.

Sanders and Bishop in midfield and I would sign a sieve to sure up the midfield?

Scully quite likely to be sold also.

Which isn't to say we won't start like that, but
a fair bit more transfer activity yet, I reckon.

It could well be that but not how I see it...

Which isn't to say we won't start like that, but
a fair bit more transfer activity yet, I reckon.

Yeah and also the transfer window will still be open until the end of Aug. We are often told we have to wait until things fall into place in the food chain.

Still time for changes.

Just under 3 weeks to the start and I was just mulling over what team I'd put out if the Exeter game was tomorrow
I'd go wing backs in a 3-4-3 /5-2-3 (when defending)

Rushworth
Poole Jackson O'Connor
Eyoma Bishop Sanders Robson
Scully Hopper Vernam

Subs: Long Roughan Oakley-Boothe Sorensen Kendall House Benn

Mandriou won't be ready due to his knock and perhaps Walsh wouldn't be quite ready. Montsma I don't expect to see until the autumn.

If that's the team announced when I take my seat on the 30th I'd be quite excited to see how it gelled. I think talk of 2/3 extra signings just might be unnecessary as it stands.

I'm sure some will disagree

I see your thinking with the starting XI, but I don’t envisage Eyoma and Robson being wingbacks.

The modern day wingback needs speed and a quick burst of acceleration, and neither Eyoma nor Robson can offer that.

Last season when we switched to 3-4-3 or 3-5-2, the wingbacks worked because we had Bramall and Norton-Cuffy.

With the players we have at our disposal (at the moment), I don’t see anyone who can replace them in that role.

Jay Benn could be an option, but I don’t know enough about him to confidently suggest he could directly supersede BNC.

Correct on that.

Budget-wise if we bring in another 2 or 3, then 2 or 3 of the bigger earners will have to leave. Just sending some of the younger players out on loan, where we still pay a considerable % of their salary, won't be enough.

So, who to leave? Poole and Scully are the only two realistically who would generate offers.

Maguire we might have to pay up his contract, and Adelakan would probably find takers if MK decides he is not in his plans.

But of the rest, with Montsma injured, I can't see clubs coming in with offers.

We do seem to have signed enough cover for Poole and Scully however, if they do leave.

Agree to an extent John, but what would be your line up from the currentsquad?
Bit pointless as I haven’t seen any of the new players but I’m not a fan of a back 5 especially when the 2 wingbacks are out and out defenders. Games are won in midfield, the defence and attack just determine the margin of victory/defeat and a
2 man lightweight midfield means you never control the game.

Bit pointless as I haven’t seen any of the new players but I’m not a fan of a back 5 especially when the 2 wingbacks are out and out defenders. Games are won in midfield, the defence and attack just determine the margin of victory/defeat and a
2 man lightweight midfield means you never control the game.
I’m a fan of a 5-3-2 for that reason. You’ve got people in midfield, support upfront plus plenty of cover at the back.

Am I right to assume that Walsh is injured again or still injured?
If he is, I genuinely feel for the guy what an horrendous run of injuries he has had.
But football can be a ruthless business and purely from a financial point of view how long can the club keep paying a player whom I suspect is on a decent wedge and not being able to play even 50% of games in a season?
From the squad point of view with O'connor coming in and Montsma not too far away we are fairly well covered at centre back. So I wonder if we will, see Walsh play for us again?

Document_2022-07-17_164120.jpg

I was somewhat surprised to come across this headline in today's Observer, a paper not noted for its coverage of the Imps, and read "Last year was certainly a setback for myself on my career path but it's behind us now," Maguire said. "As an individual I didn't play well and as a team we certainly didn't play well."

But of course it was all about Harry Maguire.

View attachment 58926

I was somewhat surprised to come across this headline in today's Observer, a paper not noted for its coverage of the Imps, and read "Last year was certainly a setback for myself on my career path but it's behind us now," Maguire said. "As an individual I didn't play well and as a team we certainly didn't play well."

But of course it was all about Harry Maguire.
Who? .. Me neither....