Squad size | Page 2 | Vital Football

Squad size

Will we be getting a manager from out of the box ? The Spaniards must have there own ideas I really cant believe they have just jumped in and know nothing about us.

I suspect they will have their own man in mind but could give Sheridan a chance to prove himself over the next month or so.

There's loyalty for you!!
But we expect loyalty from players don't we

What's disloyal? If Roberts out of contract and not due back before window shuts and take over done no point giving him an extension and taking up one of 23 spots. Be better signing someone else while he is out then re-sign him after take over is complete and window shut and give him the few weeks of wages he missed as signing fee or something.

Why would you not try and work round squad limit to that and have an extra body in our thin squad?

WEP says Fox, Cameron, Gardner and Ostebors deals all run out this week but have all been offered extensions, Roberts also out of contract but wont be offered an extension until after he is back fit (and the takeover gone through).

If the 4 lads all stay on, that the expiry of Clarke and Roberts contracts mean we have 2 space in the squad to work with.

Presumably we'll have another attempt to get Palmer as Sheridan wants him, he apparently wants to come and Swindon willing to let him out but haggling over wage contribution.

Are McMannaman, Butterfield, Keane still training with us? McMannaman and Butterfield at this level would be good shouts. Pilkington has still not gone anywhere and he'd be lethal in L1.

Also looking at the lads who are still free, there are some intersting ones. No doubt they will all fancy trying to get a Championship club in the next couple of weeks but there are more decent players yet to sign on anywhere than you'd have expected at this stage of the season.

I would hope the new owner's recruitment is in full swing now identifying players we need ready for the big ok. Word is Callum has gone to Australia but I think his time with us is done anyway. Pilks would be great but big fitness doubts especially in League one.
It's really great to be writing about new signings and possible new managers again after all this shit if we could be around mid table come the next window who knows what may happen.

What's disloyal? If Roberts out of contract and not due back before window shuts and take over done no point giving him an extension and taking up one of 23 spots. Be better signing someone else while he is out then re-sign him after take over is complete and window shut and give him the few weeks of wages he missed as signing fee or something.

Why would you not try and work round squad limit to that and have an extra body in our thin squad?
Fine, but you didn't say that. You said get rid of him whilst he was injured

I did - last sentance says re-sign him after we are out of admin. Go and check if you like. Seems like club thinking same as I suggested.

TBH it is just common sense, with our squad up to its limit we can't afford to carry an injured player and I am sure Roberts is old enough and wise enough to see this.
I am sure he will be at the game today supporting the team and encouraging the young lads.

Roberts has been a very solid squad member and his off the field input is as important as his on field game, and that's never been more important than now, when we've brought a lot of young lads through. Last thing I want to see is Gary being left by the wayside due to an injury when he's been a good servant of the club.

That said, I agree that with a squad limit, we don't want to be carrying injured players who take up squad slots but can't actually be playing. I agree with KDZ that not re-signing him immediately is the most prudent move, but I'd be disappointed if he wasn't re-signed once fit again. Despite his advancing years, I still think Gary has a lot to offer the club, especially with so many young lads coming through who could benefit from his experience and guidance as a senior professional who's 'been there and done it' . I also think that at L1 level, he's still a very capable player on the pitch.

I do wonder if it would be possible to offer Roberts a coaching role rather than a playing contract while he's injured? It would be less money for him, but potentially a gesture he'd appreciate (especially if it's offered with the idea of it being a retainer of sorts until hes back to fitness). Means he's still part of the club - and more importantly - still around the team on the training ground

One player I'd go and get the moment a takeover is complete would be Duncan Watmore. Currently a F/A after leaving Sunderland. Had bad luck with injuries but a very good player and Manchester based. Would give us some serious quality in attacking midfield.

, Keane still training with us? McMannaman and Butterfield at this level would be good shouts. Pilkington has still not gone anywhere and he'd be lethal in L1.

Also looking at the lads who are still free, there are some intersting ones. No doubt they will all fancy trying to get a Championship club in the next couple of weeks but there are more decent players yet to sign on anywhere than you'd have expected at this stage of the season.

Will Keane now re-joined with a contract until Jan 2021

Now that is more underwhelming than the Spanish interest.

I never want to slag off a new (or returning in this case) player before he's even kicked a ball, but prolific, he ain't.

I remember Keane playing against us for cut adrift Ipswich when they were down to 10 men and it was a last gasp equaliser from Garner saving us. That day he scored a penalty and i thought he held the ball up really well as a loan striker and was impressed.

Can't say I've seen much of him otherwise to say if he was always like that or if that was the game of his life but we desperetly need someone who can hold the ball up front to give us a different option so as a cheap free under the circumstances I'm not upset with him. You obviously want a more prolific striker if you can but at the moment we are severely limited and can only pay 1.5k max a week, cant give anything beyond a deal to January, no loan or transfer fees so we aren't blessed with many options. He has been training with us so Sheridan knows what he can do so hopefully he can be an asset. If not he is back up until January and leaves.

Now that is more underwhelming than the Spanish interest.

I never want to slag off a new (or returning in this case) player before he's even kicked a ball, but prolific, he ain't.

Well ! Well ! I cant speyk ! Were you expecting a prolific goalscorer for 3s 6p a week on a 3 month contract. tut tut

Well ! Well ! I cant speyk ! Were you expecting a prolific goalscorer for 3s 6p a week on a 3 month contract. tut tut

I wasn't expecting anything Zakky. I think it would have been nice to keep Kyle Joseph in the squad (on the bench), but he'll probably make room for Keane now.

That said, I understand that we need to have a little bit of depth simply in case of injuries, and I'm certainly not going to start calling him. It's just that the signing does little to give a rise to my whelm from it's current "under" position!.

Not really sure why you tut.

I see the logic in bringing in a striker, but surely our focus should be on the defence were we are really lacking cover.

Good luck to Keane though and hope his spell with us this time is more productive.

I see the logic in bringing in a striker, but surely our focus should be on the defence were we are really lacking cover.

Good luck to Keane though and hope his spell with us this time is more productive.

Sheridan said before Fox went he wanted striker and centre mid and now Fox gone he needs to replace him. We only had the 3 spots in the squad.

He was not happy with Fox as he was in the starting 11 for Doncaster and got told at 7pm Friday night Fox had made himself unavailable. Fox must have been negotiating with the Indian team and known he was on the verge of going that week, he should've let Sheridan know at the very worst Friday morning - absolute piss take.

Speaking of India I heard the same team Fox went to want Pilkington too.

Sheridan said before Fox went he wanted striker and centre mid and now Fox gone he needs to replace him. We only had the 3 spots in the squad.

He was not happy with Fox as he was in the starting 11 for Doncaster and got told at 7pm Friday night Fox had made himself unavailable. Fox must have been negotiating with the Indian team and known he was on the verge of going that week, he should've let Sheridan know at the very worst Friday morning - absolute piss take.

Speaking of India I heard the same team Fox went to want Pilkington too.

I agree it was poor timing from Fox, if what you say is true, but I can't blame him for wanting to secure his future given our circumstances. What is disappointing for us is that now is the time that we need players of his experience to guide the younger players in the squad and with his departure it means that Kal Naismith will no doubt be played in the centre back role whereas he should be leading the attack alongside Garner.