Squad for next season | Vital Football

Squad for next season

eye_nose_hat

Vital Squad Member
How's our squad looking like shaping up next season?

Here's my thoughts:

Goalkeeper
Neither goalkeeper up to the job. Is Benda good enough? I can't see us signing anyone.

Fullbacks
Roberts and Naughton solid enough but really need a LB back to add more balance. John not up to standard, Olsson to leave after contract expires?

Centre backs
Van Der Hoorn will leave. If he doesn't I'll be shocked. He's been great this season and I can see him having no lack offers this summer which will probably be double what he gets offered here. This leaves Rodon on his own as I don't think Harries is up to the job. Signings needed. CCV another loan maybe?

Midfield
Don't see much change here although I'd like to see another player added in as Fer will surely leave after his deal expires. Carroll also set to leave. Fulton a squad player and we need another starter in there, a physical player who can win ball and of course be a good playmaker too.

Wingers / Attackers
Dyer and Routledge. What happens with these 2? I'd like Routledge to get 1 more year. James a case of sold to highest bidder. Montero to leave. We need replacements here.

Striker
Baker-richardson is lucky to be anywhere near championship football in my view and we need a striker. Sheffield United got McGoldrick on a free after a trial so there's go to be cheap strikers out there we can get. Norwich also got Pukki quite cheap. McBurnie is playing more and more as a wide attacker so a proper number 10 gives us something different.

Others
Desperately need to get rid of:

2 Ayews, Carroll, Montero, Borja. Bony will leave after contract expires.

What happens to John, Asoro, Dhanda? Loans?

Signings needed:
Goalkeeper (unlikely)
Left back
Midfielder
Winger
Striker

We've shown this season we can compete where we need to be but I can't help but feel that again, we won't have enough strength in depth to get us into the top 6.

Tend to agree with most of that.
If the owners dismantle the first team for the second season in a row they need shooting.

Well there was one bit of good news yesterday. Van der Hoorn’s one year extension option to his contract has been triggered. Of course this will not stop a club coming in for him in the summer, but hopefully he’ll want to stay.

Here’s what Potter said:

“He is one of the best Championship centre-backs and the challenge for him is to be a Premier League centre-back and we hopefully will help him get there. It is great news for us. We have a lot of work to do in the summer, we’ve got the nucleus of a good group there, a lot of good lads with a good spirit that are learning and just starting out. So I look forward to trying to shape this squad and improve.”

Some positive words there, but will the owners allow Potter to keep hold of “the nucleus of a good group” and “shape this squad”, or will there be another mass exodus of players to help balance the books, only time will tell. We will find out in the next few months how serious the owners intentions are of supporting a promotion push next season.

It's just one year. We should be negotiating something longer , like 3 or 4 years. This just gives us insurance in the summer that he doesn't leave for nothing. Same boat again next year.