Squad for Next Season, Retain, Release or Transfer List? | Page 2 | Vital Football

Squad for Next Season, Retain, Release or Transfer List?

In terms of Morsy’s partner, it’s important to get someone who isn’t afraid to have a crack from long range as well as a decent set piece. What made Lee Evans so dangerous was that not only was he good at his job, he could also score goals from distance, was both footed as well. It makes it a lot easier for the opposition to set up deep if they know our CMs don’t have the ability to score from long range, meaning they don’t have to come out and close them down.

I can't see Burke getting a new deal. I'd also be tempted to keep Bruce on for another year, his experience could be vital. MacDonald should be a big asset next year so I'd keep him.

I'd release James, Daniels, Burke, Perks, Flores, Roberts and Hunt. Jones I'd keep as a decent enough no.2. Send Lang out on loan again to a mid table league 2 team.

Alex Cairns is going free from Fleetwood and would be a good keeper to sign. The left back from Scunny would be good too. A new right back, centre mid and winger would be important.

To all the people writing off some of our players because they didn't perform well enough last season, name a player who did.
The off field circumstances last season directly led to poor performances on field.
Also, the majority of those players will have now gained more experience and be aware of the different challenges of playing in the championship. Give them the credit they deserve and believe that they are professional enough to have learned form their experience last time and be determined not to repeat some of their mistakes.
Likewise the management team will also have learned from the experience.

I agree with you there kenny, you simply cannot judge any of the players last season following the ill judged decision to panic sack the manager and then place them under the management of a bloke with absolutely no idea what football is about.
Some may very well fail but they'll have a better chance of success with some continuity. I look forward to seeing how it develops next season.

It's a different management team this time around Kenny both in terms of the coaches and I suspect owner, chairman, CEO when we kick off in August. I fully agree about the poor managers and decisions last time around, so it's imperative I feel we retain Cook. There are noticeable improvements in some players since the start of the season, Dunks, Elder for example and has brought the best out of others that didn't shine last year like Power and Byrne. He's also managed Powell particularly well.

I'll probably get a load of abuse here but given last time we were in the Championship must of those here now who were here then were not good enough so I'd get rid of everyone, contracts permitting, except -
Walton, Byrne, Burn, Morsy, Powell and possibly Jacobs.
I've not seen enough of Cole to comment.

Grigg has proved he's out of his depth up a league - he lacks pace for the step up.
Both Elder and James just about suit L1, as do Coleclough and Dunkley. Massey's a L2 player.
Roberts, Perkins, Hunt and Bruce are older than my dad.
Daniels is out of contract. McDonald needs to prove his fitness and in but he's too expensive wage wise for us to be waiting to see if he makes it.
The rest will struggle to make the grade.
I'll now batten down the hatches

Really?! This is someone who has scored over 100 professional goals at the age of 26.

In his only season in the championship:

he barely had a pre-season as was away at Euro's - despite not playing;
he missed whole of November with injury;
there were 3 different managers, one of which played the most negative football I've ever seen;
he played often out of position under said manager;
he played with a niggling knee problem;
and his season was ended in March, having played the equivalent of 24 games if you calculate the total minutes played and scoring 5 goals.

Also, not many people know this but Will's dad died suddenly the day before the Man Utd match in January plus some other issues away from football including becoming a father for the first time in September and associated problems before and after this.

He was playing with the knee problem, often not actually as the main striker, for the most part of the season and then missed the end when Barrow actilly got them having a go. Barrow even came out and said that he was gutted Will was injured as he thought he could have got the goals to give us a fighting chance.

If he gets good service in a team willing to have a go then he will score goals. He at least deserves a second try, hopefully fully fit, after 4 successive promotions from League 1 - lesser players have forged careers at Championship level.

Will isn't the quickest in the world but he also isn't slow as evidence against Kyle Walker. In today's modern game of having to be quick and strong with limited technical ability there is also space for players who have a decent touch, awareness and can finish.

Grigg, Vaughan, Cole and one other will give variety of options and with good attacking options from midfield and wide I'm sure they will all contribute goals.

Anyone that wants to start again with a new squad because we go up is mad , to get rid of Grigg is mad , there is no better goal scorer with the supply .
Wingers are a must , left back and right back cover
We need someone who is as good as Powell ( he is to injury prone ) also he will get some stick in the championship ..
Cook and co will have a good idea already who is in and out ..
Lets enjoy the rest of the season ..

Brumtic, I agree with everything you say except the line about Powell who I think will flourish under Cook in the Championship because he will not be the outstanding talent in the division as he has been this season. Therefore he will not receive the attention from the "cloggers" he has this year.

Regarding the fourth striker I would be tempted to give young Callum Lang a spot in the squad to help develop his game. Seems to have had a good season out on loan this year and although I don't think he is ready for regular first team football I think it would do him good to be involved with the likes of Grigg, Vaughan and Cole.

Brumtic, I agree with everything you say except the line about Powell who I think will flourish under Cook in the Championship because he will not be the outstanding talent in the division as he has been this season. Therefore he will not receive the attention from the "cloggers" he has this year.

Regarding the fourth striker I would be tempted to give young Callum Lang a spot in the squad to help develop his game. Seems to have had a good season out on loan this year and although I don't think he is ready for regular first team football I think it would do him good to be involved with the likes of Grigg, Vaughan and Cole.

Hi True Believer - I didn't mention anything about Powell (that was mightytics) but I totally agree, he is our most talented player and we need to keep him.

Interesting comments from Walton in the newspaper about wanting to stay at Wigan next season. Looks like we have another good chance at a loan assuming Brighton aren't interested in selling him which I doubt they are.

Roberts has proven himself against better quality opposition this season. Seen little of Bruce, but if fit, no problem with him stepping in. Perkins will offer what he did this year, a squad player who won’t let you down. Only question mark for me is Hunt, but we don’t know what deal he’s been offered. Jones an able deputy.

I doubt all will sign on. We need to focus on a smaller number of quality additions rather than overhaul squad.

Would've liked to have kept Daniels for defensive cover but I'm sure we'll find a more reliable replacement from a skill and health standpoint.

Every manager wants a squad deep enough to cover for injures (eg 4 strikers, 4 centre backs) but unless you are unfortunate enough to have lots of injuries the 4th choice striker and 4th choice centre back will spend most of the season not even getting on the bench in the league. Talented young players understandably wont settle for that but someone has to if you don't want to end up caught short in an injury crisis or forced to field first teamers in cup games when you'd prefer to rest them. I imagine that is exactly what we'll be asking of Bruce, Hunt, Perks and Roberts if they sign a new deal, most likely with terms that will reflect their limited role as the back up for the back ups.

Cook, the coaching staff and the players have constantly talked about how professional the senior lads have been depite being reduced to so few apperances so I see the logic in it.