Squad balance | Vital Football

Squad balance

Trashbat

Vital 1st Team Regular
Expecting him to be playing an attacking midfield role, I had Sean Clare down for 2 goals yesterday in the prediction league. It was a huge surprise to see him playing right back.

It was clear that Clare wasn’t comfortable playing there. He often drifted out of position and arguably was partially responsible for conceding two goals.

By contrast, I think we have an excellent balance in our squad. In addition, many of our squad can play several positions. Ogilvie can play CB. Tucker can play RB. Drysdale can play CB...

I really think that BFSE has pulled off a master stroke with recruitment this season.

Goes to show that how you spend the wonga is at least as important as what the overall budget is.

Fully agree.

Our season might go great or average, who knows. But on paper I think we have a terrific squad that does indeed look balanced.

Couple of (rare) left side players. We have versatility across the back and defensive midfield. We look to have goals from all those up front, and from some midfielders in Mellis, Dempsey and Eccles etc. And each week I think SE could put out a decent squad in many different formations. 4-3-3 we look threatening, but also 4-5-1, 3-5-2 and 4-4-2 etc are all options.

Add in a very accomplished goalkeeper, top scorer in the division (who is also probably the best winger in the division) and we are looking pretty decent at the moment.

Wonder what it will be like if we actually start playing well, or even get our 3 best players back?

Agreed too. Oxford need a couple of reliable defenders and they will look even better. Sadly don't think Clare was a good defensive move on yesterdays showing.
I'm quickly getting used to watching Gills without majority posession and still squeezing a result of a game.

Agreed too. Oxford need a couple of reliable defenders and they will look even better. Sadly don't think Clare was a good defensive move on yesterdays showing.
I'm quickly getting used to watching Gills without majority posession and still squeezing a result of a game.
They showed some interesting stats on MK Dons last night, they're first in Possession, pass accuracy and passes attempted, they're also bottom of the table.

What is also clear is the togetherness. You can see when we score that everyone runs to congratulate the scorer. That's so important.

Got some decent players to come back as well. Dempsey impressed in the one game I saw. I like the look of Robertson and you Eccles looks some talent. We have a proper goal scorer in Samuel. A giant in the air - Oliver and the best winger we have had for years.

I really think we could be on to something this season.

It really is time to tie Evans down for longer.

I’d be a bit surprised but equally delighted if SE agreed to a new contract button I doubt he would be interested.
He still lives in Cambs and has a long commute.

I’d be a bit surprised but equally delighted if SE agreed to a new contract button I doubt he would be interested.
He still lives in Cambs and has a long commute.
The concern is if he does well with us and manages to get us into the playoffs or even promoted, there won't be a shortage of bigger clubs lining him up. He always bangs on about the small budget here, so you'd think he'd go if one of the larger clubs in our league or the Championship / Scotland go for him.

so you'd think he'd go if one of the larger clubs in our league or the Championship / Scotland go for him.

I think you could say the same for every single manager in lower leagues. None would stay where they are if a bigger club and money came in.

I think you could say the same for every single manager in lower leagues. None would stay where they are if a bigger club and money came in.
I don't disagree only to say that when Steve Evans arrived most clubs would not touch him.Since his arrival he has not only got results he perhaps more importantly has kept his discipline.But at present fortunately for us a lot of clubs can't afford a total clear out.As a result we should be safe from a approach for this season.

What is also clear is the togetherness. You can see when we score that everyone runs to congratulate the scorer. That's so important.

Got some decent players to come back as well. Dempsey impressed in the one game I saw. I like the look of Robertson and you Eccles looks some talent. We have a proper goal scorer in Samuel. A giant in the air - Oliver and the best winger we have had for years.

I really think we could be on to something this season.

It really is time to tie Evans down for longer.
"Tie Evans down"? Can the budget run to that much rope?

Agree with your post btw.

I don't disagree only to say that when Steve Evans arrived most clubs would not touch him.Since his arrival he has not only got results he perhaps more importantly has kept his discipline.But at present fortunately for us a lot of clubs can't afford a total clear out.As a result we should be safe from a approach for this season.

There's also the factor, like before he came here, he is generally hated everywhere, so I think it would not only take a bigger club to come in for him, but a chairman he really wants Evans as he's unlikely to be a popular choice with fans wherever he goes. If he continues to do well, I'd expect him to stay for a while. If things don't go so well at any stage, I could easily see him and Scally falling out.

The biggest thing with operators like Steve Evans and Paul Scally is being truthful with each other, trust then builds and the relationship will thrive. Unlike with Tony Pulis, a top manager, but their relationship floundered.