Spurs v Barca - Match Thread | Page 12 | Vital Football

Spurs v Barca - Match Thread

A long time ago I came to Lamelas defence from constant derision by some on here. I decided to chose one of our best players in Lloris and give him the same derisory treatment. I was of course mocked for it. I noticed aspects of his game I considered lacking. Close in saves he goes back on his arse, distribution and pen saving if I remember were constantly being mentioned by me.

So now the situation is reversed. Lamela is being lauded and Lloris lambasted.

Lloris had a shocker and Lamela was our best player. I'm slowly falling out of love with Hugo.

I've never understood how some can't see Lamela's value when fit and on form but even I was beginning to lose hope for him delivering consistently as he breaks down too often, and to miss half your playing time at a club is poor by anyone's standards.

Last night he didn't disappear down the tunnel, he sat on the bench, so I'm hopeful it was just cramp he was signalling for and that he's fit for Saturday.

Lloris had a shocker and Lamela was our best player. I'm slowly falling out of love with Hugo.

I've never understood how some can't see Lamela's value when fit and on form but even I was beginning to lose hope for him delivering consistently as he breaks down too often, and to miss half your playing time at a club is poor by anyone's standards.

Last night he didn't disappear down the tunnel, he sat on the bench, so I'm hopeful it was just cramp he was signalling for and that he's fit for Saturday.

You've answered your own question 'delivering consistently'. Lamela when fit still wasn't quite good enough to effect, influence and define the shape of matches as Alli & Eriksen when 'fit and on form' have been over a prolonged period and show that with output of goals. If most of his performances were indicative of the level expected for the amount paid, then maybe he might have changed the minds of those who have valid reasons for doubting him.

This squad needs rebuilding. Hugo for me needs replacing now. He is just making far too many mistakes for a long period of time.

For whatever reason Tripps just doesn't deliver consistently for us. Davies looks finished. Dier is average. Wana will need surgery. Winks and Lamela are always on the brink of breaking down.

This team and squad is going nowhere.

Nah not having it right here IS the appropriate place for him to "bitch" your word about how transfer policy impacts performance on the pitch. You are strangling debate you simply don't agree with...But we are on to you my freind. Nice try bub!

Not at all. I just hate clutter.

You've answered your own question 'delivering consistently'. Lamela when fit still wasn't quite good enough to effect, influence and define the shape of matches as Alli & Eriksen when 'fit and on form' have been over a prolonged period and show that with output of goals. If most of his performances were indicative of the level expected for the amount paid, then maybe he might have changed the minds of those who have valid reasons for doubting him.

Has he ever been fit until recovering from his hip surgery ? Ex spotted the waddle , the unnatural gait.That was affecting his pace and putting strain on his muscles. He has bulked up and matured with age. He potentially has always until now been unfit and disadvantaged.

I haven't because when fit he was consistently effecting games. A couple years back he was great for us, articles were written about him fulfiling his potential. He was one of our main contributors across all competitions and the team performed better statistically when he was in it.

Anyway - I know better than to have bitten on a Richmond anti Lamela post so I won't bother responding further.

Well I missed the whole match, got stuck at work. I have read through the entire thread and must say you guys are all awesome. Some great reads in there.

I think we can all agree that Barca is simply on a level above us...heck maybe two.

I do think it is quite painful that we are looking at a early exit from the CL, I thought we should be in second behind Barca at a minimum, but honestly I don't think we deserve it and the EL may be a better fit for us at the moment. But like some have said, we better GO FOR IT and try to win the damn thing if we do. (that being said, we better try to win EVERY damn tourney we are in)

Very happy for the way Lamela is progressing and I hope we don't lose him like I fear we may lose some of our core as we may go through a rebuilding effort if we come away with nothing this season. (hence the importance of winning SOMETHING)

**also a shout out to Dier, I have been a big critic of his, but looks like he had a good game after he came in.

Privilege to watch Messi in his pomp. We had them worried in the second half at 3-2 but left space at the back for the little genius to exploit. I'm not knocking the team as we were severely under strength
but put up a fight in the second half against impossible odds.You learn more from your defeats apparently.Levy must strengthen the team with real class.No more average players if we are going to be serious about the Champions League.

As I don't have BT sport at home , I took myself off to thepub to watch the game ......I know. ...I know .....the sacrifices I have to make !
As it turned out , it was quiz night in the pub so I watched it without any commentary . Coupled with the fact it was our granddaughters 4 th birthday and we were out all afternoon and didn't get back until 7 -45 , I had no idea or info on team selection .i got the pub at kick off time .
What I saw was Hugo give a display that defied belief . Correct me if I'm wrong but I think he only made one save in the game ,and although the shot was straight at him and pretty tame ,he still managed to spill it . He was nowhere near anything else all night, unless it was a back pass ,and we all know how he dealt with some of those .
I also saw the ref book three of our players for incidents that weren't even fouls . It was also evident he was only interested in protecting the plaŷers from Barcelona . .minor challenges by us were penalised ,every time, but when Tripps was taken out from behind by Messi , the ref gave a throw in . I also saw one player put his arms around the ref and thank him when a decision went his way .if anyone can tell me what Kane and Vic did wrong when they were booked I would be most grateful. Busquets conned the ref for Lamela's booking , but that was par for the whole game .
I didn't understand what Sissoko was brought on for . What was he supposed to do ? Llorente as usual was a waste of time
I did see us put in a brilliant effort and at times scare the shit out them ,which brought the best out of their diving ., play acting and all sorts of theatricals which was a credit to their coaching staff . How Suarez has improved in that department is beyond recognition .
Harry is looking better and better with every game now . I thought Winks was outstanding .
Hugo should have been subbed after five minutes . It would have been much kinder for him .
Yes , they were better than us but not by a lot . The players we had missing took its toll .
The final thing I don't understand is why we let the opposition know days and days in advance of the players who WONT be playing . Surely this could be kept a bit more secret . With a squad our size and the opposition knowing Alli ,Eriksen ,Dembo , Verts and others won't be playing it must give them an edge on tactics and their own team selection . But what do I know .
It was all very surreal watching it in silence and not getting any feedback on what the camera was showing . When Lamela went off I didn't know if he was injured or not . Still don't !
Thought we gave a good account of ourselves . Shame about the injuries and the ref .
COYS

Well I missed the whole match, got stuck at work. I have read through the entire thread and must say you guys are all awesome. Some great reads in there.

I think we can all agree that Barca is simply on a level above us...heck maybe two.

I do think it is quite painful that we are looking at a early exit from the CL, I thought we should be in second behind Barca at a minimum, but honestly I don't think we deserve it and the EL may be a better fit for us at the moment. But like some have said, we better GO FOR IT and try to win the damn thing if we do. (that being said, we better try to win EVERY damn tourney we are in)

Very happy for the way Lamela is progressing and I hope we don't lose him like I fear we may lose some of our core as we may go through a rebuilding effort if we come away with nothing this season. (hence the importance of winning SOMETHING)

**also a shout out to Dier, I have been a big critic of his, but looks like he had a good game after he came in.
Good post US. Funny how we all follow the games . It was quite surreal watching the game in the pub while the quiz was taking place but I can tell you that there are more bike riders in China that any other country in the world and that ALL dogs scratch themselves at three scratches per second . I did know what year boris Becker won his first Wimbledon title but I've forgotten it now.
Good points about Lamela and also dropping into the Thursday night nightmare scenario . We have to strengthen in January and go for it big time in every game

Good post US. Funny how we all follow the games . It was quite surreal watching the game in the pub while the quiz was taking place but I can tell you that there are more bike riders in China that any other country in the world and that ALL dogs scratch themselves at three scratches per second . I did know what year boris Becker won his first Wimbledon title but I've forgotten it now.
Good points about Lamela and also dropping into the Thursday night nightmare scenario . We have to strengthen in January and go for it big time in every game

Wanderer, I hear you brother! What the club does this year and over the course of the next window or two is absolutely massive and will show our course for years to come. We have already started on the wrong foot by not strengthening prior to the season...and that combined with a taxing schedule is placing us in a injury crisis very early...this will be interesting.

Think it’s time to look for a new number 1.
Exactly I think Gaza would have played much better and it is upsetting to think POCH still allowed him to keep the captaincy after his misdemeanour and guess what he let him down. Yes Gaza or some one else should be No 1

This may be the most accurate and truthful analysis you've ever posted here.

Like a Unicorn.

But 100000000000000000% correct.

I would like to add infinity zeros how come we can see that but not POCH. Now this is my assessment of POCH again as I have said so many times. He is clue less, does not have tactical acumen maybe he should have one of the Spurs old guards to advise him when he gets his tactics wrong. ALL THIS PLAYING FROM THE BACK WHEN YOU HAVE THREE FORWARDS TO AIM AT WAS GETTING EVERYBODY CRAZY.

Well after that round of fixtures, as expected we lose and Inter win and we're right up against it.

We now need to beat PSV twice, hope Barca beat Inter twice and then if we beat Inter by 2 goals at home we will go through due to it going down to head to head record if a teams tied (presuming we lose to Barca away and Inter beat PSV @ home on the last day)

So although we're right up against it, we've still got a half decent chance although I think PSV away next game will be tough.
Does the Away goals count when considering head to head assessment?

As I don't have BT sport at home , I took myself off to thepub to watch the game ......I know. ...I know .....the sacrifices I have to make !
As it turned out , it was quiz night in the pub so I watched it without any commentary . Coupled with the fact it was our granddaughters 4 th birthday and we were out all afternoon and didn't get back until 7 -45 , I had no idea or info on team selection .i got the pub at kick off time .
What I saw was Hugo give a display that defied belief . Correct me if I'm wrong but I think he only made one save in the game ,and although the shot was straight at him and pretty tame ,he still managed to spill it . He was nowhere near anything else all night, unless it was a back pass ,and we all know how he dealt with some of those .
I also saw the ref book three of our players for incidents that weren't even fouls . It was also evident he was only interested in protecting the plaŷers from Barcelona . .minor challenges by us were penalised ,every time, but when Tripps was taken out from behind by Messi , the ref gave a throw in . I also saw one player put his arms around the ref and thank him when a decision went his way .if anyone can tell me what Kane and Vic did wrong when they were booked I would be most grateful. Busquets conned the ref for Lamela's booking , but that was par for the whole game .
I didn't understand what Sissoko was brought on for . What was he supposed to do ? Llorente as usual was a waste of time
I did see us put in a brilliant effort and at times scare the shit out them ,which brought the best out of their diving ., play acting and all sorts of theatricals which was a credit to their coaching staff . How Suarez has improved in that department is beyond recognition .
Harry is looking better and better with every game now . I thought Winks was outstanding .
Hugo should have been subbed after five minutes . It would have been much kinder for him .
Yes , they were better than us but not by a lot . The players we had missing took its toll .
The final thing I don't understand is why we let the opposition know days and days in advance of the players who WONT be playing . Surely this could be kept a bit more secret . With a squad our size and the opposition knowing Alli ,Eriksen ,Dembo , Verts and others won't be playing it must give them an edge on tactics and their own team selection . But what do I know .
It was all very surreal watching it in silence and not getting any feedback on what the camera was showing . When Lamela went off I didn't know if he was injured or not . Still don't !
Thought we gave a good account of ourselves . Shame about the injuries and the ref .
COYS

I switched the commentary off after 15 minutes having grown tired of Hoddle and some other plonker repeating how we were doing everything wrong all the time....I enjoyed the game much better after that even with though we struggled for large parts of it.

This may be the most accurate and truthful analysis you've ever posted here.

Like a Unicorn.

But 100000000000000000% correct.

The last sentence is correct. It was a stupid slow Ariel pass in an area where 4 Barca players were close to. One of our players misread it and was running away from it thinking it was going further up the pitch. Sissoko realised it wasn't and had to accelerate towards the ball which bounced just in front of him. Nothing to do with deficiency on Sissokos part. The lobbed pass telegraphed itself to Barca. I think it was Trippier received the ball from Lloris and dinked it stupidly into no man's land.

I watched the lofted dink from Tripps I think it was. Two players one of which was Sissoko ran up the pitch expecting it to drop over their heads, but it was short, Sissoko realised and tried to adjust but had a player tight on him. Our other player was further up the pitch already. The ball bounced in front of Sissoko at knee height. Not easy to control when you are running towards the ball.

Simply shield the ball and let it go out of bounds. Or shield the ball and kick the damn thing out yourself.

My 11 yr old girls teams have all been able to do this. Effectively. On a regular basis. Or they don't play much. They're 11.

sissoko_buttpass_closeup2.jpg

^^ Here is Sissoko bouncing the ball off his ass.

See, he was late to move, and even after gaining position, he was muscled, turned, and literally shoved aside by a much smaller, but obviously much more clever man.

He was out of control, unable to assemble a coherent thought. He was beaten in every facet of the game.

Did the ball really hit him on the ass?

Oh and that ball from Tripp was always going to him, and there was nothing wrong with the pass. It bounced 3yds in front of him at least. Dier should NOT be where he is, and certainly NOT be going where he is. After Sissoko f^cked up, the reason that Messi was standing in a vacant circle 20yds in diameter, is because #15 wasn't standing there.

Doesn't excuse the ridiculous error that caused it all.

Last edited:
Simply shield the ball and let it go out of bounds. Or shield the ball and kick the damn thing out yourself.

My 11 yr old girls teams have all been able to do this. Effectively. On a regular basis. Or they don't play much. They're 11.

View attachment 29342

^^ Here is Sissoko bouncing the ball off his ass.

See, he was late to move, and even after gaining position, he was muscled, turned, and literally shoved aside by a much smaller, but obviously much more clever man.

He was out of control, unable to assemble a coherent thought. He was beaten in every facet of the game.

Did the ball really hit him on the ass?

Oh and that ball from Tripp was always going to him, and there was nothing wrong with the pass. It bounced 3yds in front of him at least. Dier should NOT be where he is, and certainly NOT be going where he is. After Sissoko f^cked up, the reason that Messi was standing in a vacant circle 20yds in diameter, is because #15 wasn't standing there.

Doesn't excuse the ridiculous error that caused it all.

The defence rests.