Spurs supporters trust reject meeting Levy... | Page 4 | Vital Football

Spurs supporters trust reject meeting Levy...

I guess it's more about letting the board know that we're on their case, in their face and will not tolerate decisions that do not have the spirit of the Club and the fans best interest at heart.

It was, however, a business decision. When you look at the debt we're in it's no wonder Levy and Joe are making these sort of decisions. At least money is as cheap as it will ever be right now. Thank goodness.

Exactly. However, as long as the stadium is full, merchandise is being bought worldwide and the TV rights money keeps flowing, Season ticket holders will have little say because someone will take their place if they go off in a huff and decide not to renew.

Exactly. However, as long as the stadium is full, merchandise is being bought worldwide and the TV rights money keeps flowing, Season ticket holders will have little say because someone will take their place if they go off in a huff and decide not to renew.
There's been nothing to stop merchandise being bought for the last year. And hasn't the majority of the TV money been paid?

Obviously matchday income has been obliterated. But then hasn't this become an increasingly smaller percentage of total income for clubs in recent years? Although in Spurs case that's less true with the significant increase the new stadium was generating.

There are no clubs with debt quite like ours. We know why this is but the timing of covid is actually pretty horrific for our finances in particular.

View attachment 48418

I really think he probably saw it as having zero choice. If the top 5 revenue generators in England plus most of the biggest elsewhere in Europe were all off to set up their own competition, and most likely with it global eyeballs, TV revenue & etc. while his plan to pay off our massive debt with matchday revenue, concerts & etc lies in tatters it probably felt like his only option.

Can't believe I'm defending Levy over this but he may well have seen the alternative as being the custodian who bankrupted the club by taking on huge debt to build an empty stadium.
I know this is a graph to illustrate Spurs' debt but Everton's debt is staggering given they haven't built a new stadium. Brighton's is hefty too relative to their income and ability to service it.

There are no clubs with debt quite like ours. We know why this is but the timing of covid is actually pretty horrific for our finances in particular.

View attachment 48418

I really think he probably saw it as having zero choice. If the top 5 revenue generators in England plus most of the biggest elsewhere in Europe were all off to set up their own competition, and most likely with it global eyeballs, TV revenue & etc. while his plan to pay off our massive debt with matchday revenue, concerts & etc lies in tatters it probably felt like his only option.

Can't believe I'm defending Levy over this but he may well have seen the alternative as being the custodian who bankrupted the club by taking on huge debt to build an empty stadium.

Sometimes you just have to rely on commonsense and your own logic.

He had no choice, or face a complete meltdown pretty quickly if they were all in it and we weren't.

Sometimes you just have to rely on commonsense and your own logic.

He had no choice, or face a complete meltdown pretty quickly if they were all in it and we weren't.

Exactly...

As i say, i would rather see spurs go bankrupt and play conference football than see us ride roughshod over other clubs.

Whilst this is admirable in some ways, a chairman who felt this way would be burned at the stake by fans and board members alike.

There's been nothing to stop merchandise being bought for the last year. And hasn't the majority of the TV money been paid?

Obviously matchday income has been obliterated. But then hasn't this become an increasingly smaller percentage of total income for clubs in recent years? Although in Spurs case that's less true with the significant increase the new stadium was generating.

Matchday and commercial income are where we were weak and the stadium had already shown signs of remedying this in a big way when Covid hit. In addition, ancillary events at the stadium would have markedly decreased the stadium associated costs that would normally be borne by football operations. Reduced TV payments were agreed to during the early part of the pandemic.

So.....not using the stadium has hit us harder than anyone.

If the TV revenues followed the ESL and we weren't part of it we would have been bankrupt. Cash flow services debt. Without cash flow, you're selling assets. When you're selling assets you're in serious trouble if they are directly related to your business.

The TV would stil stay with the prem. They would not leave the European competitions . You are saying that all the broadcasters would go with the ESL I think they would not. You could see the uproar against the clubs when they ESL was announced. Let alone the player's. When you set out as a professional you dream is to play for your country if the ESL would have gone ahead those players would have lost that dream so levy was not thinking of them either. It was all about money. Not for the club but for him.

The TV would stil stay with the prem. They would not leave the European competitions . You are saying that all the broadcasters would go with the ESL I think they would not. You could see the uproar against the clubs when they ESL was announced. Let alone the player's. When you set out as a professional you dream is to play for your country if the ESL would have gone ahead those players would have lost that dream so levy was not thinking of them either. It was all about money. Not for the club but for him.

The ban on players playing for their country would not have lasted. Anyway, we are disagreeing on something that neither of us can confidently say is correct or incorrect.