Spurs Recent Transfer Success | Vital Football

Spurs Recent Transfer Success

D

Departed

This post is from COYS and is an excellent overview of how things work at Tottenham:

1 hour ago, dszeff said:

Because sometimes it takes us a couple of attempts at recycling the money properly, but over time we do get there - hence why we keep moving forwards as a team

For example with the Bale money, we bought Soldado, Chiriches, Capoue, Paulinho, Chadli, Eriksen and Lamela - Eriksen has been a phenomenal signing and Lamela has been a success (and I would argue Chadli was as well - he was never going to be good enough to be first choice for us, but he more than did a job imo)

We then sold all the failures and reused the money on new players - some were a success; Dele Alli, Eric Dier, Ben Davies....some less so; Benjamin Stambouli, Federico Fazio, Clinton N'Jie.

And then we sold those failures, and replaced them with people like; Toby Alderweireld, Heung-Min Son, Victor Wanyama....Georges-Kevin N'Koudou, Kevin Wimmer, Vincent Janssen - the failures get replaced by Davinson Sanchez, Lucas Moura, Fernando Llorente, and the cycle keeps on going

Sure, some signings work out better than others - but the trajection is always upwards

We might have taken a back-step immediately after Gareth Bale left, but in the long-term we've become a much more rounded team - with quality all over the pitch - and i'm not sure that would have been possible without the enormous transfer fee we received from Real Madrid​

It is a fair point. But look at the transfer fee's now? I think we would have always got a huge wad at some point.

We also got a lot of money when we sold Berba and Keano. Back then it was massive money anyway.