Spurs Player Ratings - Season and by game | Page 11 | Vital Football

Spurs Player Ratings - Season and by game

I would go Lloris 8, Aurier 5, Sanchez 7, Toby 7, Davies 8, Winks 7, Sissoko 5, Loco 7, Son 6, Moura 7, Kane 8

My 3 standout players were Lloris, Davies and Kane but appreciated the discipline and intelligent grafting from Winks, Loco and Moura.

Lloris 8, Aurier 4.5, Sanchez 8, Toby 7, Davies 6.5, Winks 8, Sissoko 4, Loco 6, Son 6, Moura 8.5, Kane 10

Lloris, Kane and Lucas were the stand-outs for me, some tremendous defensive work by Sanchez and some great midfield work by Moura, Kane was just Kane.

Lloris 8, Aurier 4.5, Sanchez 8, Toby 7, Davies 6.5, Winks 8, Sissoko 4, Loco 6, Son 6, Moura 8.5, Kane 10

Lloris, Kane and Lucas were the stand-outs for me, some tremendous defensive work by Sanchez and some great midfield work by Moura, Kane was just Kane.

Sanchez was good defensively but his clearances and passing still need work. It's ok stopping an attack but inviting another with hurried or poor passing is counter productive. I noticed his pace was impressive. Jose needs to reverse his process of teaching attackers to defend with Sanchez needing more product from defense to attack.

Sanchez was good defensively but his clearances and passing still need work. It's ok stopping an attack but inviting another with hurried or poor passing is counter productive. I noticed his pace was impressive. Jose needs to reverse his process of teaching attackers to defend with Sanchez needing more product from defense to attack.

Every defender was hoisting the ball up the pitch, including Lloris - it looked like it was to instruction, or the vain hope we'd win the second ball, and break.

We pretty much scored all three on the break, so it seemed to work.

Ugly to watch, but effective, if it did come straight back at us, in the end, I stopped getting wound up by it as it was clear that Leicester had pretty much run out of ideas and just didn't want to let us score anymore...!

Lloris 5, Aurier 5.5, Dier 6.5, Toby 5.5, Davies 3.5, Winks 7, Sissoko 1.5, Loco 6, Son 3.5, Moura 4.5, Kane 7.5

Jesus, we were shite, what a way to end the season.

Last edited:
Here are the final average ratings for 16 players collated from mainly posters on here and some media reports. It took some doing but it was my goal right from the start. The findings are that mostly the ratings will be in the 5 bracket. To score in the low 5s or 4s you have to be poor. To score in the 6s you need to be very good.
There are some anomalies or perhaps misrepresented scores due to a smaller number of games by for example Bergwijn and Ndombele.
In order of merit.

Kane 6.38
Lo Celso 6.25
Alli 5.80
Lloris 5.75
Dier 5.70
Lamela 5.70
Winks 5.68
Son 5.65
Moura 5.61
Toby 5 60
Sanchez 5.52
Sissoko 5.36
Bergwijn 5.35
Ndombele 5.16
Davies 5.03
Aurier 4.66

The lower scores are fairly predictable. I voted for Kane as my player of the season not Son and that is backed up by these ratings. All the info is within this thread of you want to collate yourselves. Lamelas score is possibly artificially high due to lack of games possibly although he is fairly consistent anyway with his performances.

Here are the final average ratings for 16 players collated from mainly posters on here and some media reports. It took some doing but it was my goal right from the start. The findings are that mostly the ratings will be in the 5 bracket. To score in the low 5s or 4s you have to be poor. To score in the 6s you need to be very good.
There are some anomalies or perhaps misrepresented scores due to a smaller number of games by for example Bergwijn and Ndombele.
In order of merit.

Kane 6.38
Lo Celso 6.25
Alli 5.80
Lloris 5.75
Dier 5.70
Lamela 5.70
Winks 5.68
Son 5.65
Moura 5.61
Toby 5 60
Sanchez 5.52
Sissoko 5.36
Bergwijn 5.35
Ndombele 5.16
Davies 5.03
Aurier 4.66

The lower scores are fairly predictable. I voted for Kane as my player of the season not Son and that is backed up by these ratings. All the info is within this thread of you want to collate yourselves. Lamelas score is possibly artificially high due to lack of games possibly although he is fairly consistent anyway with his performances.

Nick

It's a great effort and I look forward to next seasons one; it also occurs to me we haven't voted for our player of the season nor our worst player of the season - I wonder if there would be any point!?

Nick

It's a great effort and I look forward to next seasons one; it also occurs to me we haven't voted for our player of the season nor our worst player of the season - I wonder if there would be any point!?

Thanks for appreciating it. Lots of numbers , adding up and divisions to do. It took maybe an hour and a half. As for the best and worst the ratings say Kane and Aurier !!

It's possibly the most scientific or mathematical use of data I have ever used , my Son opinion was a side issue but linked in.

fair play - just seems erroneous to mix in random posters ratings with press... I for one probably only bothered giving ratings (if at all, I don't remember) when I was pissed off at the team for being awful and wouldn't have been on here giving ratings in a game where they were good, so the data is already warped if others are the same. I expect they are as the activity on here goes way up after a bad loss.

Also think calling Son knocking the ball past players and catching up to it as a "bad touch" is very harsh. That goal was remarkable, even if you just look at the distance he travelled and over what space of time. He picked it up on the edge of our area and had it in the net about 11 seconds later. Usain Bolt would be proud, having watched him in a charity game - he didn't cover ground as fast and his touch reallly was bad.

Last edited:
fair play - just seems erroneous to mix in random posters ratings with press... I for one probably only bothered giving ratings (if at all, I don't remember) when I was pissed off at the team for being awful and wouldn't have been on here giving ratings in a game where they were good, so the data is already warped if others are the same. I expect they are as the activity on here goes way up after a bad loss.

Also think calling Son knocking the ball past players and catching up to it as a "bad touch" is very harsh. That goal was remarkable, even if you just look at the distance he travelled and over what space of time he picked it up on the edge of our area and had it in the net about 11 seconds later. Usain Bolt would be proud, having watched him in a charity game - he didn't cover ground as fast and his touch reallly was bad.

Maybe next season more posters will take part and make the ratings more accurate. The intention and purpose was to build a picture for the season. Each rating was given shortly after each game, sometimes with input from the media and other forums. The overall marks are pretty much as I would expect with the best and worst players in their respective placing. There are a couple of surprises maybe because perception was otherwise or the number of games was less like Ndombele and Bergwijn. Alli may seem high but possibly because of the criticism he has had of late.

I notice in the mid section there are 6 players within 0.10 of each other between 5.60 and 5.70. That's quite a strong body of marks. It seems to achieve a 6 average you need to put in some very good performances.

In order of merit.

Kane 6.38
Lo Celso 6.25
Alli 5.80
Lloris 5.75
Dier 5.70
Lamela 5.70
Winks 5.68
Son 5.65
Moura 5.61
Toby 5 60
Sanchez 5.52
Sissoko 5.36
Bergwijn 5.35
Ndombele 5.16
Davies 5.03
Aurier 4.66

Nick - huge kudos to you for managing this thread all season. I can't imagine how much time you put in. Thanks a lot !!!

What is obvious though is that the majority of the markers in the press have no clue about defending - it's always obvious to me that you can get a high score by throwing yourself around in goal, but being part of the back four is always penalised. Once the novelty of Dier being a defender wears off, the press will give him one less a week just like the other defenders. Just like if you tried to put together a football team from the Ballon D'Or list. No GK, 1 defender, 2 midfielders and 7 forwards :-)

I would say that every player needs to improve by 0.5 to 1 to put a smile back on our faces again.

Good point Mutters about the improvement factor required. 0.50 would elevate that mid section up to plus 6 which appears to be a top benchmark. It would also elevate the low section up to that 5.60 plus area.