Sports/hobby shops | Page 3 | Vital Football

Sports/hobby shops

I can remember it was 2 floors of wonderful stuff for a kid.

I guess shops like that don’t need a retail facility any more as it’s all on the net.

At the moment it is interesting as you can’t get a delivery slot for a supermarket but you can wander down the road queue up and get most things from the local shops.

perhaps this is the rebirth of the high street?

Funnily enough I was talking about this the other day - deserted High Streets with boarded up pubs are exactly what we’ll end up with if we don’t use local shops and services etc. Hopefully if anything good comes out of this it might be a nudge towards buying from local businesses.

Funnily enough I was talking about this the other day - deserted High Streets with boarded up pubs are exactly what we’ll end up with if we don’t use local shops and services etc. Hopefully if anything good comes out of this it might be a nudge towards buying from local businesses.

I hate to break it to you, but pretty much nothing will actually change.

hobbins models?

Hobbins started out in a small shop just below Gowts Bridge and moved into the former WH Smiths distribution/trade centre on Portland St, when Smiths moved into their new shop on the Cornhill. There was also Pete Russell's Hobby Shop at the top of Wigford way/Bottom of Newland.

The Rediffision Shop on the corner Tentercroft/High St had listening booths too.

Nobbs had a unique and pungent smell from the fishing bait it used to sell along with the exposed wooden floor gave it an unique aura.

Those were days as Mary Hopkin once sung.

Last edited:
Hobbins started out in a small shop just below Gowts Bridge and moved into the former WH Smiths distribution/trade centre on Portland St when Smiths moved into their new shop on the Cornhill. There was also Pete Russell's Hobby Shop at the top of Wigford way/Bottom of Newland.

The Rediffision Shop on the corner Tentercroft/High St had listening booths too.

Nobbs had a unique and pungent smell from the fishing bait it used to sell along with the exposed wooden floor gave it an unique aura.

Those were days as Mary Hopkin once sung.
Too much info about nobs - say cheese

I remember a hobby shop on Clasketgate, a couple of doors down from the Theatre Royal. I used to get Airfix models from them, throw away the instructions and try to figure out how it all went together. Clearly plenty of time on my hands as a child. Does anyone remember the name of this shop?

I remember a hobby shop on Clasketgate, a couple of doors down from the Theatre Royal. I used to get Airfix models from them, throw away the instructions and try to figure out how it all went together. Clearly plenty of time on my hands as a child. Does anyone remember the name of this shop?
Musgraves? Or something similar?

Discussing Subbuteo got me thinking of the shops we used to use for sports/hobby/toys/craft type products, which have all now long gone. Some posters on that thread referred to upstairs at Ashleys, but have to confess I have no recollection of that store. Here’s some I do remember, although a bit vague on some of them:

• Bycrofts (High Street/St Marks area) – I’m sure we bought Hornby stuff, and my first cricket bat came from there
• Nobbs (Sincil Street) – Airfix, Humbrol, balsa wood, Subbuteo, model railway supplies eg scale model kits of buildings, …quite a bit more, I think?
• Wakefields Army Stores (High Street, just below Stonebow) – Camping/hiking equipment and football kit
• Gadsbys (top of High Street) – art and craft materials

And for bikes
• Halfords (then corner of High Street and St Mary’s Street) for lights, bells etc
• Binks for Bikes – can’t really remember them and don’t think I used them
• Clarkes (Monks Road) – my uncle passed me down his bike with a 4 speed derailleur!! – used to take it to this shop for repairs when I bent the gears, for handle bar tape etc

I’m sure there must be more …. ??
There was also Ray Inkley for bikes and that bloke who had the small shop on Canwick Road

Have to say it's one of the shops I love to see when visiting Lincoln - great window to look in, and I remember going with my dad to buy stuff from them

I bought my first slide rule from Musgraves.

(Note to football commentators: A slide rule is not an accurate measuring device; it's a calculating device of limited accuracy.)