Speculation Thread | Vital Football

Speculation Thread

In truth, I doubt its anyone we know.

Possibly an owner of a bigger club in Spain looking for a feeder club to send their youngsters to to get a taste of English football which would no doubt toughen them up compared to the Spanish league. Whilst that would pretty much guarantee us not pushing beyond the Championship (at best), it does guarantee stability, since we will never be seen as needing to make a profit. We'll be an acceptable expense because of the service we provide to the larger club. We have to remember we're Latics, not Man United, and I don't think there's any shame in that for a club like ours, if that's what it turns out to be.

I did wonder if Bob Martínez had anything to do with it, but he probably has fewer connections in Spain than he does in England and Belgium, having played and managed most of his career over here.

Reality is that whilst 3.5 million is mega money to the likes of most of us on here, in business terms it isn't much money at all, and anyone with a decent sized company could afford it. There's no need for them to be internationally known billionaires, so there's every chance when we get a name, we'll be none the wiser anyway.

I would like it to be someone who actually understands football though, and appreciates that Latics will never make an operating profit on a day to day basis. Thinking they're going to make money that way is asking for trouble. Hopefully it's someone with some ambition who thinks they can invest sensibly, push us towards the top half of the Championship (which is realistic) then sell the club on in 5-10 years and make a tidy profit that way. I'd definitely take that.

All that said, it could well be a face we know : Spain isn't short of football people with a few quid.

Whoever it is, it's better than administration though, so honestly I don't mind that much. Whoever is willing to take us on is very welcome in my book. Its a big commitment to ask of an investor, and so the saying goes, beggars can't be choosers.

Personally, I don't feel comfortable speculating about who it is after it's been made clear that they want anonymity until it's done and dusted. If whoever it is pulls out, surely it really will be the end of the road, so let's not give them a reason to do so!