Southend Game | Vital Football

Southend Game

LancsGordoRoad

Vital Champions League
GFC have sold all 500 tickets they had available at the club offices. POTD available at Roots Hall tomorrow - should be a really good Gills` turnout.

Well done to all on here who are going - some have already committed (on another thread I believe). Perhaps those who know the Essex town well can advise on places for a drink and eats ?

For Saturday games a number of Gills fans drink in Leigh-on-Sea. I’ve drank in Rochford too. Otherwise it’s mainly O’Neills and Spoons-type bars in Southend or that awful away pub.

Is anyone else going by train?

In the past, whenever I've gone to Southend, I've always driven or got the train to Central Southend as have been on a piss-up. However, tomorrow, I'm going straight from work and on my own, and need to get back to Ashford after. Looking at trainline, I can get a train to the station next to the ground, Prittlewell, OK, but there don't seem to be any direct trains going back, which seems a bit arse about face? Can anyone shed any light on why this is? Guess I'll have to walk to one of the main stations to get back, but could do without the trek really.

In the past, whenever I've gone to Southend, I've always driven or got the train to Central Southend as have been on a piss-up. However, tomorrow, I'm going straight from work and on my own, and need to get back to Ashford after. Looking at trainline, I can get a train to the station next to the ground, Prittlewell, OK, but there don't seem to be any direct trains going back, which seems a bit arse about face? Can anyone shed any light on why this is? Guess I'll have to walk to one of the main stations to get back, but could do without the trek really.
I did look at the train as an option but saw there’d be difficulties getting back. I think you can get a train from Prittlewell to Southend Central, then a train from there back to London, but you’d have to leave the game sharply to make sure you don’t miss the last train.

Apparently first choice keeper Mark Oxley is injured and all they have are a couple of inexperienced youth team keepers in reserve. They are desperately trying to get an emergency loanee in.

I did look at the train as an option but saw there’d be difficulties getting back. I think you can get a train from Prittlewell to Southend Central, then a train from there back to London, but you’d have to leave the game sharply to make sure you don’t miss the last train.
Prittlewell and Southend Central are on different lines, you could go to Southend Victoria from Prittlewell then it's about a 10 min walk to Southend central. Tbh, its probably quicker just to walk to central, about 20 mins down the high street, and use c2c to Fenchurch street, (roughly every 15 mins, last one is 11.36 but try to avoid anything NOT going via Basildon, they take you through bandit country of Tilbury etc and take 20 mins longer) much better service and more reliable at the moment. The big advantage of using the liverpool st line though is connections at Stratford for HS1 to Gravesend etc if needed.
As for pubs, all the local ones are shite (IMO). Stop off in Old Leigh on the way if you can.

If you get the train there, get off at southend Central and feel peckish, theres an excellent chippy opposite the London bound entrance to the station (Van Looy's) 👍👍👍👍

Apparently first choice keeper Mark Oxley is injured and all they have are a couple of inexperienced youth team keepers in reserve. They are desperately trying to get an emergency loanee in.

Well we are know the emergency loan or the kid is going to have a blinder then. Just the way it is.

I'm really stuck on whether to go. Got a really early flight on weds and just cant risk any issues with that. I think it's a night in with radio kent for me. Not fussed about not going to roots hall again but really enjoy watching this gills team play.

Well we are know the emergency loan or the kid is going to have a blinder then. Just the way it is.

I'm really stuck on whether to go. Got a really early flight on weds and just cant risk any issues with that. I think it's a night in with radio kent for me. Not fussed about not going to roots hall again but really enjoy watching this gills team play.

The game is video live via GFC site (iPlayer) for £10.

Prittlewell and Southend Central are on different lines, you could go to Southend Victoria from Prittlewell then it's about a 10 min walk to Southend central. Tbh, its probably quicker just to walk to central, about 20 mins down the high street, and use c2c to Fenchurch street, (roughly every 15 mins, last one is 11.36 but try to avoid anything NOT going via Basildon, they take you through bandit country of Tilbury etc and take 20 mins longer) much better service and more reliable at the moment. The big advantage of using the liverpool st line though is connections at Stratford for HS1 to Gravesend etc if needed.
As for pubs, all the local ones are shite (IMO). Stop off in Old Leigh on the way if you can.

If you get the train there, get off at southend Central and feel peckish, theres an excellent chippy opposite the London bound entrance to the station (Van Looy's) 👍👍👍👍

The route back I looked at went from Prittlewell at 22-13 to Southend Victoria, then walk to Southend Central, then catch the c2c to West Ham, then underground to Stratford International, which just gets you there in time for the 00:02 back to Medway.
I think Steve goes to Ashford though, so obviously a different train needed from Stratford.

Yeah, that works but you could get an earlier train from Southend central. It's a 22 min walk from the ground (Google maps) so if you left sharpish, you could get the 22.06 !!! Might make the connections a little less stressful

I can see it now.

"Gills thwarted by 14 year old's display between the posts!

When I asked whether Pat Smith had been nervous before the game, she thought for a moment. Well Dad said I should just go out there and have fun...etc etc."

GFC have sold all 500 tickets they had available at the club offices. POTD available at Roots Hall tomorrow - should be a really good Gills` turnout.

Well done to all on here who are going - some have already committed (on another thread I believe). Perhaps those who know the Essex town well can advise on places for a drink and eats ?
Don't drink in Southend. Sh#thole. Drink in Leigh on sea. Nice pubs down by the sea or a 'spoons in town.

Agree - as someone who lives in the area (still support the Gills although don't see many games) there is distinct lack of decent pubs in Southend. You have the Spoons pub (the Last Post) near the Central Station but the best pubs are in Old Leigh - the Crooked Billet, The Smack, Mayflower (good real ales), the PeterBoat. They are located about 5-6 miles from the Ground so ok if mobile. If by train you could get the train to Leigh on Sea station -on the C2C line- and then get to the ground by further train from Leigh to Southend Central (ground is about 15/20 walk from there). If you can share a taxi should be about £15 from Leigh pubs to the Ground - no Uber in the area -hope that helps

Agree - as someone who lives in the area (still support the Gills although don't see many games) there is distinct lack of decent pubs in Southend. You have the Spoons pub (the Last Post) near the Central Station but the best pubs are in Old Leigh - the Crooked Billet, The Smack, Mayflower (good real ales), the PeterBoat. They are located about 5-6 miles from the Ground so ok if mobile. If by train you could get the train to Leigh on Sea station -on the C2C line- and then get to the ground by further train from Leigh to Southend Central (ground is about 15/20 walk from there). If you can share a taxi should be about £15 from Leigh pubs to the Ground - no Uber in the area -hope that helps
Welcome scorpio, especially as you agreed with me!

Welcome scorpio, especially as you agreed with me!
And you agreed with me although strangely, southend/Westcliff/Chalkwell and Thorpe Bay boast some of the best restaurants I've come across. To label the whole area as a shithole is a little bit of a sweeping statement to be fair

Last edited:

Regarding trains and Prittlewell. I saw a Southend fan posted on Facebook or somewhere, that there is some Rail maintenance happening in the hour or 2 after the game ends.

That could be the issue, but it seems strange organising rail maintenance when there is an event on where more people than usual would require the service.