Southampton | Page 2 | Vital Football

Southampton

Good result that lads. I hope things didn't go too much tits up at West Ham, but in way I admire their spirit in protesting. Just got to hope everyone gets home safe. Which wasn't always the case at Upton Park in the day it must be said.

They chased Sullivan and Gold out of the ground, i haveca grudging admiration for the fact that the supporters took some action against the two parasites.

Palace losing 2-0 and if it stays like that and Man City beat Stoke on Monday night it's been pretty much a perfect weekend result wise. With our superior goal difference we'd be effectively six points clear of the bottom three with eight games left. Beat Huddersfield and West Brom at home and that may be enough.

Of the games left, the real 6 pointers are Huddersfield v Palace, West Ham v Stoke, Stoke v Palace and of course our game with Huddersfield.

Swansea have some games against lower teams but with their form, you would have to bet on them adding to the select list of Christmas turkeys that got away, with a seemingly bereft Stoke to provide them with the final lifeline on the last day. If they don't, then 40 points could be needed.

Key to the whole thing is going to be how some of the teams perform when there is little to play for. In our case, that is going to be Leicester, Watford and Everton.

It could get squeaky but I'm inclined to think that if we beat Huddersfield and West Brom, it's pretty much job done.

I think there could be a potential double managerial change coming that may throw a spanner in the form works, one at West Brom which will probably be too late to save them and another at Southampton as they were second best all over the pitch today.

Based on averages, the safety target this season should be 38 but id say the magic number to make sure is 42. That means we need 10 points out of the last 24 available.

Only the second time this season we have won in the league by more than one goal. A double edge sword scoring so early in the game. Just what you want, an early goal to settle any nerves but the number of times we have surrendered the lead this season weighs heavy and to be honest until the third went in did it feel like 3 points were secure.

The win and other results going in our favour is reflected in the odds against relegation. Before today's game we were 4/1 with most bookies but now those odds have lengthened to 10/1 or 12/1.

Toon_NoMatterWot - 10/3/2018 19:17

I think there could be a potential double managerial change coming that may throw a spanner in the form works, one at West Brom which will probably be too late to save them and another at Southampton as they were second best all over the pitch today.

Based on averages, the safety target this season should be 38 but id say the magic number to make sure is 42. That means we need 10 points out of the last 24 available.

Well, part 1 of the expected sackings has happened tonight at Southampton and I reckon West Brom wont be that far behind. Depending on who goes to Southampton now may decide their fate but I reckon they'll survive.

With 8 games left it's a big as for whoever takes over at Southampton. Puel was doing ok earlier in the season. I wonder if any of the ones hiring and firing look in the mirror and say 'shit, got that wrong'

It's not a reflection on Pellegrino. Cup winner in his first season as a manager and who could turn down the lure of a job in the, by some criteria, strongest league in the world.

As an aside, he is the 6th manager at the Saints since they sacked Pards.

Being a 'feeder club' for Liverpool is always going to be a burden for any manager that comes in. I found strange that the starting line up didn't include Long or Gabbiadini.