Southampton v NUFC | Vital Football

Southampton v NUFC

Toon_NoMatterWot

Alert Team
This was labelled the Shearer Derby on that interview the other day but we could also call it the Keegan Derby or whichever one of ours has featured for both clubs.

As it is, we play a game in which we've done shite in basically. If we thought The Dell was bad, this 'new' place at St Mary's is just as unrewarding.

Out of the 8 league games we've played there, our track record is 1 win, 2 draws and 5 losses. The last saw major kick off with Lascelles and Daryl Janmaat with Lascelles coming of age by kicking off with everyone and Janmaat breaking his hand by punching a wall.

In the 2 seasons since we've seen a massive momentum shift of personality with teams once playing with a mentality of losing before a ball is kicked and it now being replaced with a side that doesn't even think about it.

This team was the one that played there 2 years ago.

Darlow; Janmaat Taylor Mbemba Anita; Sissoko Wijnaldum Shelvey Townsend; Perez and Mitrovic.

At best we would see 3 of that team start this time but at a guess I reckon Shelvey and Perez will be in. Hopefully it's a different outcome to the last time when it could have been double figures.

Ahead of the team news we are wearing blue today, Stoke were allowed to wear their stripey shirt against us so dont know why we cant wear our normal gear against the near half and half Southampton kit.

Anyway, expect a shit fest on Sky with Souness more than likely in the studio and the ground full of them shitty clapper things. Hopefully we shut them all up.

Elliot; Yedlin, Lascelles, Lejeune, Manquillo; Shelvey, Hayden; Ritchie, Perez, Atsu; Joselu

subs: Darlow, Clark, Gamez, Merino, Diame, Murphy, Gayle

Nee Mitrovic again.

As you say its a difficult place for us, but since Rafa took over the helm we seldom get taken to the cleaners, yet we seem to lack scoring goals. I still plump for a draw.

Perez frustrates the fuck out of me, one minute he’s bang on his game, next minute he gets bounced off the ball way too easy.

Fuck off! Fucking stupid tackle, well done, only NUFC can fuck things up like that. Now watch them lose this - retards!

Having lead twice feels like a bit of a disappointment, but always take an away point. Two individual defensive errors to blame, but it happens and we kept going and Lejeune nearly won it with a good header. Some metal in this side, Shelvey didn’t disappear when needed either, fought all the way. Once again nothing upfront and Joselu and Gayle simply not good enough. Odd decision to take Perez off as well, I thought as we were much better with him on the pitch.

As mentioned above two defensive errors cost us, thought Lejunne apart from a stuipd foot in when the ball was running out had a solid game. The first goal, initially Manquillo did well but how he was able to get a shot away was very poor.
Again as mentioned above very weak upfront Gayle and Joselu offered nowt really, Mitro must have really upset Rafa if he didnt even make the bench again. Is he injured?

I reckon that is 2 points lost. Rafa frustrates the fuck out of me at times. Yedlin was on a tightrope yet he kept him on knowing he could be red carded. Jacob Murphy?? What a waste of 12 million pounds? Lejeune played very well but what a brain fart he had with that tackle. Can anyone tell me why Jesus Gamez is not playing? This guy is a seriously good left back judged by the last game played.
Merino. What a classy player. Hope he will be at NUFC after January next year.
Anyway greetings from little old New Zealand. Keep well all of ya.
Brian

Strange one that Jacob Murphy, that said Richie and Atsu have arguably been our two most consistent players of the season.

To be fair, under Pardew I think everyone battered us at least once, I've been there twice and seen us win twice, can't say that about many aways.

Shane Long invited the challenge by Lejeune and it was frustrating that you knew what was going to happen. Some players have this off to a fine art and it was to our cost today. First time we have conceded 2 goals away from home this season. Put into context that the we only scored one goal in 3 games away against teams that are regarded by most to be at the wrong end of the table come the end of the season then todays result was a welcome performance. How long is it since I've heard an opposition manager say we were very good defensively?

newzealandtoonfan - 15/10/2017 19:38

I reckon that is 2 points lost. Rafa frustrates the fuck out of me at times. Yedlin was on a tightrope yet he kept him on knowing he could be red carded. Jacob Murphy?? What a waste of 12 million pounds? Lejeune played very well but what a brain fart he had with that tackle. Can anyone tell me why Jesus Gamez is not playing? This guy is a seriously good left back judged by the last game played.
Merino. What a classy player. Hope he will be at NUFC after January next year.
Anyway greetings from little old New Zealand. Keep well all of ya.
Brian

Murphy is a young lad who has started the grand total of 2 games for us, 1 in the league.

Aye, let's write the useless fucker off :83:

A glance at the stats today show we had 19 shots with 5 on target and 8 corners. More than the Saints in every one but we had just 38% possession. 'Funny old game' as Greavsie used to say.

That's the tactics Rafa employs away, difference being from previous eras we now have a team that can, in the main, carry it off.

Look at the two away games against our nearest promotion rivals last season within five days of each other. Absolute masterclasses.

Mcnamee67 - 15/10/2017 22:24

A glance at the stats today show we had 19 shots with 5 on target and 8 corners. More than the Saints in every one but we had just 38% possession. 'Funny old game' as Greavsie used to say.

The possession stat is one of the most useless ones along with shots off target as the Rafa game plan generally allows the opposition to have the ball and us play on the break.

Most of their possession was just balls spread out wide and then back again. Wonder how much of that possession was forward play? I reckon the percentage goes under 30% then.