Saints 5 City 5
Cards
Saints 0 City 1 Y (Steffen)
On Target
Saints 3 City 6
Woodwork
Saints 1 City 1
Off Target
Saints 10 City 13 (BBC Saints 13 shots, City 19, City OS Saints 5 shots, City 7)

Attendance: 29,702

Compiled from City Official Site match day thread and the BBC

Links

https://matchday.mancity.com/fixtures/first-team/2021/southampton-v-manchester-city-fa-cup

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/60698116

16:54
'Class told'
Southampton 1-4 Man City

Martin Keown
Former England defender on BBC One

An outstanding performance in the end but Southampton really made a cup tie of it. They really made a go of it but class told in the end, Phil Foden and Riyad Mahrez just too good for them.

They just keep going, I can only see City going on to win trophies now.

16:56
FT: Southampton 1-4 Man City

Micah Richards
Former England defender on BBC One

What Manchester City do in terms of grinding out results is outstanding. They starve the opposition of the ball and they were excellent in the second half.

16:59

Alan Shearer
Former England striker on BBC One

It was a stupid challenge to make - that is exactly what Gabriel Jesus is wanting. He's looking at the defender and thinking if you're stupid enough to foul me here, I'll just put my body across and that's it.

Right decision to give the penalty.

17:03
'Third and fourth goals were beautiful'

Manchester City's Kevin de Bruyne to BBC One: "I think the first 20 minutes and the last half an hour we did well. In between we made too many stupid mistakes and even with their goal, we should have just played it out - there were 30 seconds to go until half-time.

"We chose the wrong options and Southampton came back into the game. Not a lot was said at half-time but we had to play better and we did that.

"But I think the reaction was really good - the second half, we dominated and we did much better.

"We didn't play at our best but after the second goal we did much better - the third and fourth goals were beautiful goals and we saw then how good we can play.

"We want to win every competition we enter, we have lost in a couple of FA Cup semi-finals but we are very happy and privileged we go again and hopefully we can win it this time."

17:06

Alan Shearer
Former England striker on BBC One

I knew Southampton would give City a tough game but when you've got that talent coming off the bench in Riyad Mahrez and Phil Foden, it's a ridiculous situation to be in to have that pool of talent.

Southampton did put up a good fight - before the two substitutions came on they looked good.

17:09
FA Cup semi-final draw coming up

Remember, the draw for the FA Cup semi-final is coming up at around 17:30 GMT. You can stay across it with us here.

Ties will be played at Wembley on 16 and 17 April.

17:12
'We know every game is a final' - Guardiola

Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola to BBC One:

"We started well, for the first 20-25 minutes but for the last 15 of the first half we forgot to play, knowing that this would be difficult because Southampton is one of the best, most organised teams we face all season.

"They push you with incredible intensity but the goal we conceded was a consequence of us forgetting to play.

"The second half was much better, in personality and play. They had one chance for Che Adams, at 2-1, but the quality of our players up front made the difference.

"It was not a comfortable victory but now we go into the international break, there are two months left in the season and we are in three competitions - semi-final of the FA Cup, quarter-final of the Champions League and top of the league. We know every game is a final and we knew it was important not to lose today."

Manchester Evening News
Player ratings
Steffen 7, Walker 7, Stones 7, Laporte**6, Cancelo*7, Rodrigo*****7, Gundogan (C) 8, De Bruyne 8, Grealish* 5, Jesus 7, Sterling 7

Subs: Carson, Ake****(not marked), Zinchenko*** (not marked), Bernardo, Fernandinho*****(not marked0, Mahrez* 7, Foden 7

fair marking, I thought Sterling was up for it and Steffen I am sorry to say along with most of the defence in the first half were a tad slow to get the ball moving

17:12
'We know every game is a final' - Guardiola

Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola to BBC One:

"We started well, for the first 20-25 minutes but for the last 15 of the first half we forgot to play, knowing that this would be difficult because Southampton is one of the best, most organised teams we face all season.

"They push you with incredible intensity but the goal we conceded was a consequence of us forgetting to play.

"The second half was much better, in personality and play. They had one chance for Che Adams, at 2-1, but the quality of our players up front made the difference.

"It was not a comfortable victory but now we go into the international break, there are two months left in the season and we are in three competitions - semi-final of the FA Cup, quarter-final of the Champions League and top of the league. We know every game is a final and we knew it was important not to lose today."

Had Southampton been a bit more on target with their chances the game would have looked very interesting

I thought the final score didn't reflect the home side's contribution to the game, but I'll take it :thumbup:

Certainly from the first half where they went in level but once City got that second and then the third following the substitutions it was close passing a bit of luck but a brilliant finish, it was City who looked the only winners but as I said a proper Cup Tie and a disappointment for those hoping for an upset.