Southampton 3 United 0 - report/pod | Vital Football

Southampton 3 United 0 - report/pod

Deadbat_DB

Vital Squad Member

https://open.spotify.com/episode/2zuKwb1xSaH3UFP3EC07aQ

---

Another week, another defeat and the same depressive narrative that has beset United all season continued. This week the loss came at in form Southampton and sadly it was not a surprise. After losing narrowly previous three games, this performance saw the Blades soundly beaten and by the end they looked a sorry and bedraggled side. It is six played away and six defeats away from home and now 14 defeats in 15 in an appalling run of form. Southampton totally dominated from start to finish and in the end 3-0 maybe flattered the visitors who were undone thanks to goals from Che Adams, Stuart Armstrong and Nathan Redmond.

The Blades remain rock bottom and it is hard to see where the next point is coming from. United are only the fourth side in English league history to have no more than one point from their opening 12 league games of a season, after Manchester United in 1930-31, New Brighton in 1931-32 and Newport County in 1970-71.

Manager Wilder opted to bring some of the old guard back as Sharp and Jagielka were in for Burke and Bryan. Stevens was back in from injury replacing Lowe. The three dropped players were not even on the bench. Southampton had a chance to go up to 3rd in the table and started with the prolific Danny Ings and former Blade Che Adams.

The game started with United on the back foot and the home side playing patient football, moving it from side to side and through the third with no challenges at all as the away side just sat off. Stevens first contribution since coming back into the team was a bad effort which led to a corner. It was a well worked routine that came out to the edge of the box but Armstrong miskicked his effort. Fleck then was the next to be careless in possession, a rare moment United had it, but Romeu fired wide.

Adams then span Basham easily and played a lovely ball to Ings who was in on goal but Ramsdale did well to smother superbly. The flag went up after but it may have been a close one if the ball had gone into the net. Vestergaard then drifted past an apology of a tackle from Ampadu and the ball had Ings in but Jagielka got a good foot in. A stat summed up the home side’s domination as they had 80% possession after 20 minutes and seven United players had not played a successful pass.

McBurnie then injured himself diving to try and win a foul and was struggling with his shoulder/arm. It was a bit pathetic and even though there was contact it was not a great moment for the front man.

Another lovely ball had Ings in on the angle but twice Basham blocked as the defence was stretched again. The corner was over everyone though. It was all the home side and United had barely put a pass together although finally on 25 minutes they mounted their first attack into the last third and won a corner soon after but it was cleared and as the Saints broke, Stevens lost the ball and had to use his hand to stop Adams getting clear. He was rightly booked.

United did have a chance though when Stevens and Fleck played a one two and the wing back sent over a good cross but Berge completely fluffed his lines skewing well wide.

This rare moment of positivity was punished within a minute. Fleck gave away a silly free kick which Ward Prowse took and as Ramsdale dithered, Jagielka headed clear. It should have been an easy claim for the keeper. After this Vestergaard helped it back on as Ampadu failed to even mount a challenge and then Egan let ADAMS go and he too could not even muster anything of note to stop the former Blade poking past the hapless Ramsdale. An incredibly sloppy United goal with several players all not doing their job. The goal had been coming and was a deserved one for a completely dominant home side.

The one-way traffic continued as United dithered on it again and Basham twice had the chance to move it on but lost it and Armstrong sprinted away and won another corner. Soon after this Ings came inside and the oles were starting after this lovely bit of skill. Berge again watched his man come inside and then Ampadu failed to engage with his man. It was all so easily as United players were not in the game on or off the ball.

Ampadu finally did put in a bad tackle but chopped down Walcott as the pace and skill was too much and was lucky not to be booked. Baldock did win a free kick the other way but Berge’s delivery was poor and straight to the keeper. Three United men had run offside anyway.

More good work from Ings led to a long range shot wide and the half time whistle came soon. 1-0 was the least Southampton deserved who had dominated the game in every aspect. United with 74 attempted passes completed had the fewest of any Premier League team since February, 2007 when yes, it was the Blades again who broke this unwanted record with 67 in a 2-1 defeat at Blackburn.

McBurnie was given a chance to start the second half and test his injury but strangely he was taken off after only 2 minutes and MCGoldrick came on as he could not get his arm going to have proper mobility. United did have a decent spell when they won two corners but Fleck’s awful ball led to a break for the home side. Another corner did come for the Blades but Egan headed over. It was a decent chance. A ball in nearly led to a chance for Sharp but did not break.

The home side had not started as well this half but gradually started to take control again although more mistakes, this time from Ampadu who gave it away under no pressure and then Berge who mis controlled it saw the Saints continue to probe. Walker Peters and Adams worked the ball well and Jagielka had to clear the ball. The home side then moved it into space and Ings had a shot deflected wide. It was back to one-way traffic. Sharp had barely had a kick and was taken off just before the hour replaced by Brewster.

Ings then nearly found an opening with a crossfield ball but Adams could not get in as the ball was cleared. The restbite was only temporary though and the second goal came on 62 minutes. The home side ran through all too easily and the ball sat up for ARMSTRONG whose shot may have been going in anyway but took a wicked deflection off Jagielka and nestled into the corner with Ramsdale completely wrong footed.

United looked a beaten side and the heads had completely dropped and the home side were moving the ball around with ease with no pressure on the ball. The Blades were chasing shadows and looked a side that just wanted the game and maybe even the season to be over. It was helpless stuff and another break led to another chance.

Ampadu and Egan both clattered into Walcott who ran away easily leading to a free kick chance for Ward Prowse whose effort just went over with Ramsdale going across his goal.

Mousset came on for Basham but the game was lost at this stage and everything just seemed so desperate. Southampton continued to look more likely to score again and won another corner that was cleared. United’s only tactic seemed to be fouling their opponents and the disappointing Berge chopped his man down again. The free kick was deflected wide for another corner. Vestergaard headed wide as once again the Saints were first to the ball.

More wretched defending saw Jagielka somehow set up Adams and with Egan not able to get across Ings effort was saved from Ramsdale.

A rare chance for United came when after a throw in routine, Berge came inside and fired a woeful shot miles over the bar. Straight back the other ended a ball inside put Ings in but he opted to come inside for Adams rather than shoot which was strange as he was right in on goal. Walcott had looked a different player today than the one seen at Everton the last few years and was rightly given a standing ovation by the few thousand in as Redmond came on.

The substitute’s impact was almost immediate, as a Ward Prowse free kick was cleared Redmond and Romeu played a one two and as Baldock and then Berge just watched the players make the passes without even getting close, REDMOND came inside and curled it right into the corner.

United looked completely hapless and Southampton took the chance to make more changes as N’Lundulu and Diallo came on for Adams and Romeu. United barely could even mount an attack and McGoldrick’s disappointing cross saw it easily cleared. The game was just petering out and the only thing in doubt was the margin of score line. Ramsdale then was put under pressure again but was fouled as he tried to clear.

United – I did not think it could get any worse but today was embarrassing. We were lucky to only lose by the score line we did. It was desperate to watch and we had about 3 or 4 minutes of 90 in the game – maybe a few in the first half an a few to start the second half. Outside of this it was so one sided. Possession, chances, skill, tackles, pressing, running, heading, individual battles and shape. We looked an absolute mess. It was painful to watch. The team look absolutely shot. Absolutely done. There is an argument that they have stopped competing and that’s hard to type but that is what it looked like. I do not think intentionally but the legs and minds both have just gone.

We did not even look like a plucky Championship side having a go. There was so much between the two teams it was frightening.

We did not have a shot on target, never looked like having an attack, let alone scoring and it was just a case of how much we would lose by. It was really painful to watch. A few times I actually went in the kitchen or was pottering about (so if the report misses bits you know why) I was that depressed by it all. I am not sure I have seen a United team lack so much belief and simply look so boring.

The game started with them dictating possession and we never could get in the game. It’s as if the minds know we are going to lose so are not running as fast, competing as much although we did tackle a bit but badly. It is not even if the players can get stuck in properly often just late and giving away stupid fouls.

We look completely broken. There is no belief, confidence or even resilience. We looked a beaten side even before we conceded and after 5 minutes you knew we had lost. How bad is that?

Loads of players were pointing to others or blaming others. Noone took responsibility at all and the players looked totally demoralised. Not sure even sure it was effort as they just did not have the confidence to even run or tackle. They just looked so deflated in every way.

It is beyond tactics or who is playing now but the players individually and collectively are just beaten in every way. We have no belief in doing the basics and now we are not even competing. Today it is beyond just losing by the odd margin or moments. Even in those games we have been second best. Take away West Brom and not sure there is one game we have not deserved to lose – maybe Leeds a draw. We are miles off the other teams and are getting worse each week.

Not sure what we do? Sure the calls that were quite small from United’s fans will probably grow now for a change of manager. Souness who has been his biggest fans has said the owner will look at it now in terms of a change. I still do not think we should do it but we look a beaten team and have no fire in the bellies at all. I still think he may walk in the news few weeks. He won’t continue to oversee pathetic performance after performance. His pride will not allow it no matter who much money he may lost. I do worry by the New Year after we lose the next few v Man Utd and Brighton, he will go. Just my feeling.

We are as good as down. There is no two ways about it. Yes, the table says we can still get points but I cannot see us getting more than a handful of points at most. Indeed, it would not shock me if we went down with like 3 or 4 points at best. We do not look like scoring let alone winning games and defensively we are horrible. The team are not even competing now and the heads have gone. They seem to have just stopped playing. It is awful to watch.

United – I did not think it could get any worse but today was embarrassing. We were lucky to only lose by the score line we did. It was desperate to watch and we had about 3 or 4 minutes of 90 in the game – maybe a few in the first half an a few to start the second half. Outside of this it was so one sided. Possession, chances, skill, tackles, pressing, running, heading, individual battles and shape. We looked an absolute mess. It was painful to watch. The team look absolutely shot. Absolutely done. There is an argument that they have stopped competing and that’s hard to type but that is what it looked like. I do not think intentionally but the legs and minds both have just gone.

We did not even look like a plucky Championship side having a go. There was so much between the two teams it was frightening.

We did not have a shot on target, never looked like having an attack, let alone scoring and it was just a case of how much we would lose by. It was really painful to watch. A few times I actually went in the kitchen or was pottering about (so if the report misses bits you know why) I was that depressed by it all. I am not sure I have seen a United team lack so much belief and simply look so boring.

The game started with them dictating possession and we never could get in the game. It’s as if the minds know we are going to lose so are not running as fast, competing as much although we did tackle a bit but badly. It is not even if the players can get stuck in properly often just late and giving away stupid fouls.

We look completely broken. There is no belief, confidence or even resilience. We looked a beaten side even before we conceded and after 5 minutes you knew we had lost. How bad is that?

Loads of players were pointing to others or blaming others. Noone took responsibility at all and the players looked totally demoralised. Not sure even sure it was effort as they just did not have the confidence to even run or tackle. They just looked so deflated in every way.

It is beyond tactics or who is playing now but the players individually and collectively are just beaten in every way. We have no belief in doing the basics and now we are not even competing. Today it is beyond just losing by the odd margin or moments. Even in those games we have been second best. Take away West Brom and not sure there is one game we have not deserved to lose – maybe Leeds a draw. We are miles off the other teams and are getting worse each week.

Not sure what we do? Sure the calls that were quite small from United’s fans will probably grow now for a change of manager. Souness who has been his biggest fans has said the owner will look at it now in terms of a change. I still do not think we should do it but we look a beaten team and have no fire in the bellies at all. I still think he may walk in the news few weeks. He won’t continue to oversee pathetic performance after performance. His pride will not allow it no matter who much money he may lost. I do worry by the New Year after we lose the next few v Man Utd and Brighton, he will go. Just my feeling.

We are as good as down. There is no two ways about it. Yes, the table says we can still get points but I cannot see us getting more than a handful of points at most. Indeed, it would not shock me if we went down with like 3 or 4 points at best. We do not look like scoring let alone winning games and defensively we are horrible. The team are not even competing now and the heads have gone. They seem to have just stopped playing. It is awful to watch.

Ratings: (hard to rate these as they were all dire – you could argue they was no one more than a 4/10!)

The fact I am struggling to dissect many of them shows how little they did with the ball but how easily they lost battles versus their opponents and how they could not stem anything coming the other way.

Ramsdale 6/10 – Another game where he did not look convincing at all. Made a few good saves from Ings (one may have been offside) and no chance on the second goal. The first he has to take the initial ball and then after this he was not great either as the shot went rather through him, albeit from point blank range. After this he often came and tried to punch things or flapped at crosses and just did not look confident. A kick off the sub near the end summed him up. I am not sure he was anywhere near at fault today and he made a few saves to keep the score down but he and the defence’s indecision is clear. He looks very shaky even when making saves.

Baldock 4/10 – Got ran past. Never got forward. Too far off his man. They picked him off time after time. He did not even tackle or get stuck in really. He seemed to lose his spirit and fight too which for him is worrying. He looks a player that’s confidence is really on the wane too.

Stevens 3.5/10 – As above. Made a mistake early on that led to a corner and this set the scene. Did get forward with one cross for Berge I suppose but defensively he was slow, the player run through him and he did not keep to a line. His form has fell off a cliff since the lockdown. I was glad to have him back but not sure he was any better than the hapless Lowe. Walcott caused us problems down both sides.

Basham 4/10 – Thought it was one of his worst displays for United for some time, he gave it away a lot, was not picking men up and never on the front foot. Everything was coming at us and he could not stop the tide. He started making mistakes and then became so sloppy all over the game. One header badly off target – should have done better. He had one run forward second half where he won a corner but everything, he does at the moment he, like the rest of the team, looks jittery and lacking belief.

Jagielka 6/10 – Maybe our best outfield player and he was average at best. He was not great but at least won a few headers/tackles and interceptions. He showed more willing than most of the others outfield and seemed to be quicker than most of them. That sums it up. He at least kept going and tried to stop a few things but he too made mistakes, nearly seeing up Adams with one when him and Egan got in the way. Also, indecision on the first goal although I blame Ramsdale.

Egan 4/10 – Awful on the first goal as he lost his man and did not put a challenge in. Ings got away from him time after time and he did not get many blocks or tackles in as they just ran at us. He keeps this high line but it is not working as time and time they got over the top of us. Big gaps opened up all over the defence and it was just where they would choose to attack at us from.

Ampadu 2/10 – Woeful performance. Brought in to be the defensive shield and we started with him just in front. The fact they had so much ball in midfield, so many chances and ran at us time after time showed how bad he was. He gave it away all game, did not win challenges (first goal), let runners go off him and in possession he offered nothing. How he did not get booked for several awful late, cynical fouls I do not know. Miles off it and not the answer in this position. Sadly, neither is Berge or Norwood.

Berge 2.5/10 – As above. Wretched showing really although might be our best midfielder as he had two efforts (awful ones). Had our two attempts of note (outside Egan header) but miskicked again and then blazed over. One other awful cross and several slow telegraphed balls. Outside of possession, a liability. Ran through time after time, gave away stupid fouls and lost his man all game. I don’t see this great talent others do. I think he has the heart of a pea and don’t give me is a young lad in a strange country. Lots of others come to the UK and adapt quicker. He is miles off it for me. He looks disinterested too and not sure there is fight in him at all. For all this great ability, he miscontrols it a lot and his first touch is really poor. I think we will move him on in January and try and recoup some of the fee as he won’t hang around in the Championship but don’t see the suitors all clamouring for his services that others do. We will struggle to get all our money back the longer it goes on and his form continues to nose dive.

Fleck 2.5/10 – See above. Gave it away several times and did not learn his lesson from last week as he gave away a pass early on and then gave away a free kick which led to the goal. Had one moment where he linked with Stevens and that was it. Second half he put an awful cross in when we had that brief spell. After this never got near them when they had it and barely touched it. Looks a shadow of the player he was. You’d take him out of the team but sadly you could say that about the whole team. The midfield have been wretched but today on and off the ball they took things to a new level. I’d rather now just see Slater, Osborn or a load of kids run around. Least we may compete and have some energy. These three have been a disgrace (along with Norwood and Lundstram) all season. We do not have a midfield.

Sharp 4/10 – Never in the game at all. His mark is maybe higher than others just because not sure he can be blamed totally for having no service whatsoever. He tried to run a few balls down the channels but it was scraps and he may as well have been sat at home. There is no point us playing with strikers. We may aswell put another 2 midfielders or even defenders in and play 5-5 formation and at least we may have more of the ball in some area of the field.

McBurnie 3.5/10 – As above really. He committed a few stupid fouls and then a ridiculous dive saw him injure himself. He may have got caught but why he threw his arms up like he did and then hurt himself! He was great last week but today had no impact and then went off at the break. Not sure he had much chance to do anything as we had so little of the ball.

Subs –

Brewster 4/10 – Came on but like those above not sure he had many touches at all as everything was in our third. Felt sorry for him really as he cannot hope to make any impact

McGoldrick 4/10 – He at least touched it more than the other strikers but not sure anything came off. Had one cross and won one corner.

Mousset – Did not even realise he was on.

Manager Wilder 1/10 – Hard to know what to say. He keeps changing the side, keeps tweaking personnel but effectively is playing the same way. Although today oddly we had Ampadu right in front of a high line which maybe hoped to disrupt them and give us more of the ball. It did not. They had more the ball and just knocked it over us for runners. It was almost like we set up playing for at best a 0-0 draw. They were always going to score and they did and then the game was done. We had a few minutes after the break but overall, we were well beaten in every facet of the game. The players look like they have no confidence in the system, the shape, their own ability and have no real desire at the moment. They look like there is no fight in them. Maybe the manager is the same now. It is really sad. Loads again will talk about selections and tactics and yes, they have a point but think it is more than that. He does need to try something different formation wise but if the players as he says cannot win their races, tackles and headers than we have no chance. We are not even competing at the moment in games. Regardless of us having no ball, chances or any kind of pattern on the balk, off it we are hapless with no pressing, no tackling, no denying space. It’s like a testimonial for teams against us as we sit back and off and just wait for chances to come. It’s horrible and boring to watch. We have no identity. We are not even dirty (one booking) and when we do get stuck in or foul it’s clumsy. I do not think he has any idea how to turn it around.

He said we had a structure and solidity for the first 25 minutes. He is kidding himself. Said we stuck in there but we were never in the game at all. He’s right we had a better go second half but we never really did anything. To say we were in the game is utter nonsense. We were never in it and they dominated. We did not even try and pass it and did not compete. He talks about the goal and the mistakes and is right but it was always coming with the way we played sitting back and not competing. It's not like we were even in the game. Nitpicking individual mistakes is valid but we were going to lose playing as we were and they would have scored on something else if it was not that. He seems bewildered by it all and sadly now some of his words are as baffling and nonsensical as our performances.

Any other manager and I would say we need to change it but he deserves longer to try and impact something. I do not buy this we need to keep him no matter what happens though. I don’t mean losing most of the game and going down. I mean in terms of seeing some hope, commitment and change to how we are doing things. If we carry on like this every week for another month – then he won’t be here – the board will remove him. I do not want that but that would happen or he would just walk away. At the moment it is diabolical to watch and to see him preside over it is really painful but we something will give at some point. I do not want a change at all but he will know if there is not a shift in something soon, he won’t be here in the Championship. This notion we will just suddenly bounce back and go back up if we finish say with 4 or 5 points and lose most week and go down as looks like happening is fanciful too. Once the slide is in, these players confidence, form and belief in anything will be gone Asking them to play this way after the worst season a club may have ever have in history and just suddenly start winning does not happen. Some fans seem to just think we will go back to the Championship and look at Bournemouth and Norwich and thing we will be fine but for that to happen we need to arrest the slide at least in form and how we play long before the end of the season or there is a real fear, we could just slide down the leagues again. People will scoff at that but you only have to look at the likes of Wigan and Sunderland to see how quickly things can go the other way. Things can change the other way just as quick as they worked positively for us in the last few years.

Southampton – I said at the start of the season they would be my surprise packet from how they ended last year and so it has proved. Really rate the manager and they have goals in Ings and Adams but some really good midfielders too and Ward Prowse is very underrated. The defence is now performing as a unit and have solid centre backs and full backs who get up and down. They are kind of where I would have loved us to have been this year and maybe are doing what we did last season but they do have a goal scorer in Ings. Ward Prowse takes a fantastic set piece too. I expect them to finish a similar position to where we did last season, maybe even higher. They do bring through good young players and have bought well.

Today was easy. Their best players Ward Prowse and Ings did not even score. They won at a canter and could have had more. They won the battles and then the quality on the ball took over. They had movement, desire and were crisp in their passing. They can play much better than that too.

Opponent Man of the Match – Take your pick. Ings caused problems, Adams was a threat and Walcott rolled back the years. Vestergaard played more as a midfielder it was that quiet at the back. The wing backs looked good and in midfield they controlled it. I thought Romeu was really good and maybe the stand out but when all 11 are individually better than the opposition 11 than you can take your pick.

Opponent Weak link – No-one. Yes, it was that easy for them.

Referee/Officials/VAR – Easy game to ref. He booked one of ours Stevens for a stupid handball – he could have booked many more, McBurnie for his swan dive, Ampadu, Fleck and Berge for a series of fouls. No controversial VAR moments. They had a few saved that may have been close if they had gone it but they got through us time after time it did not matter.

Crowd/Atmosphere etc – Nice to see fans back I suppose. Made no difference to us and we will still probably be in Tier 3 into late Jan/Feb so will be as good as down when we go back. Be interesting to see the demand for games when a few thousand do go back. Think United should just rotate round the 22,000 season ticket holders for the final 10 or so games so we all get to 1 game each. This should be free and they still owe us money off our season ticket for next year. With surely a reduction too for the Championship on top of the money they said we would save from games we missed least we all won’t pay as much although may only be like 50% of crowds still even in August. What a depressing thought as 12,000 fans attend to see us play Wycombe at the Lane in front of new manager Michael Appleton! Oh, you laugh but it might be nearer the truth than you think!

Great report, not easy to compose, zero positives to take from that game, poor performance by every player and the management team we move on.

Subs –

Brewster 4/10 – Came on but like those above not sure he had many touches at all as everything was in our third. Felt sorry for him really as he cannot hope to make any impact

McGoldrick 4/10 – He at least touched it more than the other strikers but not sure anything came off. Had one cross and won one corner.

Mousset – Did not even realise he was on.

Manager Wilder 1/10 – Hard to know what to say. He keeps changing the side, keeps tweaking personnel but effectively is playing the same way. Although today oddly we had Ampadu right in front of a high line which maybe hoped to disrupt them and give us more of the ball. It did not. They had more the ball and just knocked it over us for runners. It was almost like we set up playing for at best a 0-0 draw. They were always going to score and they did and then the game was done. We had a few minutes after the break but overall, we were well beaten in every facet of the game. The players look like they have no confidence in the system, the shape, their own ability and have no real desire at the moment. They look like there is no fight in them. Maybe the manager is the same now. It is really sad. Loads again will talk about selections and tactics and yes, they have a point but think it is more than that. He does need to try something different formation wise but if the players as he says cannot win their races, tackles and headers than we have no chance. We are not even competing at the moment in games. Regardless of us having no ball, chances or any kind of pattern on the balk, off it we are hapless with no pressing, no tackling, no denying space. It’s like a testimonial for teams against us as we sit back and off and just wait for chances to come. It’s horrible and boring to watch. We have no identity. We are not even dirty (one booking) and when we do get stuck in or foul it’s clumsy. I do not think he has any idea how to turn it around.

He said we had a structure and solidity for the first 25 minutes. He is kidding himself. Said we stuck in there but we were never in the game at all. He’s right we had a better go second half but we never really did anything. To say we were in the game is utter nonsense. We were never in it and they dominated. We did not even try and pass it and did not compete. He talks about the goal and the mistakes and is right but it was always coming with the way we played sitting back and not competing. It's not like we were even in the game. Nitpicking individual mistakes is valid but we were going to lose playing as we were and they would have scored on something else if it was not that. He seems bewildered by it all and sadly now some of his words are as baffling and nonsensical as our performances.

Any other manager and I would say we need to change it but he deserves longer to try and impact something. I do not buy this we need to keep him no matter what happens though. I don’t mean losing most of the game and going down. I mean in terms of seeing some hope, commitment and change to how we are doing things. If we carry on like this every week for another month – then he won’t be here – the board will remove him. I do not want that but that would happen or he would just walk away. At the moment it is diabolical to watch and to see him preside over it is really painful but we something will give at some point. I do not want a change at all but he will know if there is not a shift in something soon, he won’t be here in the Championship. This notion we will just suddenly bounce back and go back up if we finish say with 4 or 5 points and lose most week and go down as looks like happening is fanciful too. Once the slide is in, these players confidence, form and belief in anything will be gone Asking them to play this way after the worst season a club may have ever have in history and just suddenly start winning does not happen. Some fans seem to just think we will go back to the Championship and look at Bournemouth and Norwich and thing we will be fine but for that to happen we need to arrest the slide at least in form and how we play long before the end of the season or there is a real fear, we could just slide down the leagues again. People will scoff at that but you only have to look at the likes of Wigan and Sunderland to see how quickly things can go the other way. Things can change the other way just as quick as they worked positively for us in the last few years.

Southampton – I said at the start of the season they would be my surprise packet from how they ended last year and so it has proved. Really rate the manager and they have goals in Ings and Adams but some really good midfielders too and Ward Prowse is very underrated. The defence is now performing as a unit and have solid centre backs and full backs who get up and down. They are kind of where I would have loved us to have been this year and maybe are doing what we did last season but they do have a goal scorer in Ings. Ward Prowse takes a fantastic set piece too. I expect them to finish a similar position to where we did last season, maybe even higher. They do bring through good young players and have bought well.

Today was easy. Their best players Ward Prowse and Ings did not even score. They won at a canter and could have had more. They won the battles and then the quality on the ball took over. They had movement, desire and were crisp in their passing. They can play much better than that too.

Opponent Man of the Match – Take your pick. Ings caused problems, Adams was a threat and Walcott rolled back the years. Vestergaard played more as a midfielder it was that quiet at the back. The wing backs looked good and in midfield they controlled it. I thought Romeu was really good and maybe the stand out but when all 11 are individually better than the opposition 11 than you can take your pick.

Opponent Weak link – No-one. Yes, it was that easy for them.

Referee/Officials/VAR – Easy game to ref. He booked one of ours Stevens for a stupid handball – he could have booked many more, McBurnie for his swan dive, Ampadu, Fleck and Berge for a series of fouls. No controversial VAR moments. They had a few saved that may have been close if they had gone it but they got through us time after time it did not matter.

Crowd/Atmosphere etc – Nice to see fans back I suppose. Made no difference to us and we will still probably be in Tier 3 into late Jan/Feb so will be as good as down when we go back. Be interesting to see the demand for games when a few thousand do go back. Think United should just rotate round the 22,000 season ticket holders for the final 10 or so games so we all get to 1 game each. This should be free and they still owe us money off our season ticket for next year. With surely a reduction too for the Championship on top of the money they said we would save from games we missed least we all won’t pay as much although may only be like 50% of crowds still even in August. What a depressing thought as 12,000 fans attend to see us play Wycombe at the Lane in front of new manager Michael Appleton! Oh, you laugh but it might be nearer the truth than you think!
Need to rotate 28000 ticket holders. Even harder.

Big kudos for composing that it must have been hard and hurt I’m sorry I couldn’t bring myself to read it all I checked the scores and they were pretty lucky to get some imo
this is the most hurtful out of all the games the lack of anything from the entire team has left me bereft I’ve learnt to brush defeat off relatively quickly these last yrs as there is more important stuff goin off but this one is hard to swallow and I’m struggling to come to terms with how piss poor we were

Big kudos for composing that it must have been hard and hurt I’m sorry I couldn’t bring myself to read it all I checked the scores and they were pretty lucky to get some imo
this is the most hurtful out of all the games the lack of anything from the entire team has left me bereft I’ve learnt to brush defeat off relatively quickly these last yrs as there is more important stuff goin off but this one is hard to swallow and I’m struggling to come to terms with how piss poor we were

Agree to-day I saw players who weren't playing for the shirt or the manager. None of them come out with any credit. The olders ones like Billy Jags and Goldie you can say they've had their day. The younger ones especially Berge and Ampadu just seemed to let the game pass them by. Thats not the Sheffield United way. If they can't put a performance in for Chris Wilder they shouldn't be at the Club.

Just got around to reading this but there isn't much more to add, we were truly awful.
Having said that let us give credit to Southampton, they were superb in the way they went about their business.

All those fans saying we should be playing the team that got us from League one to the Prem' are deluded, they are all past it or simply not good enough at this level.

I was beginning to think about "the untouchable one" just maybe his time is up, then listening to his after match interview i don't agree that he is "done" just yet, or that he doesn't have belief in his abilities, there was just something about him that suggested he is up for the fight and can turn this around - somehow!
I wish him luck because i would hate to see him leave this way after all he has done for the club - and i would fear for the future under a new manager.

I think we are in for another drubbing at Man' U with the young pacy players they have, not forgetting the quality.
Maybe Brighton game will give us a glimmer of hope, but something needs to change except he hasn't got the quality of players to change anything!

PS. Been catching up with the "Behind closed doors" programmes featuring Spurs under Jose, and Man' City under Pep, they seem totally different class to what i imagine CW to be (to be fair, most managers!) but it is illuminating how managers get into the heads of players - worth a watch!! not making comparisons to CW just bash CW, it's just illuminating.

UTB