south african covid | Vital Football

south african covid

The pledge

Vital Reserves Team
just a thought. UK scientists believe that the south African variant of covid is impervious to all the covid vaccines Pfizer, oxford. Why are south African planes still being allowed to arrive in the uk and probably other European cities

just a thought. UK scientists believe that the south African variant of covid is impervious to all the covid vaccines Pfizer, oxford. Why are south African planes still being allowed to arrive in the uk and probably other European cities

There is a ban on direct flights from South Africa to the UK!

Sorry Chris, I hate nit pickers but I think that you mean "can't". Having said that I fully agree with your comment.
Most countries (including us as from next week I think) will only accept entry from outside the country if you've had a negative test within the last 72 hours. Not foolproof but quite effective apparently

Most countries (including us as from next week I think) will only accept entry from outside the country if you've had a negative test within the last 72 hours. Not foolproof but quite effective apparently

It is the one thing that has kept Australia (and NZ) fairly Covid-free. We shut our borders to the outside World immediately last March. To all except the freight, goods, supplies etc needed to keep the country going.

Any returning ex-pats over the past 9 months have had to go into immediate testing and isolation for 2 weeks upon return.

I can’t work out why an island nation like UK didn’t do exactly the same.

It is the one thing that has kept Australia (and NZ) fairly Covid-free. We shut our borders to the outside World immediately last March. To all except the freight, goods, supplies etc needed to keep the country going.

Any returning ex-pats over the past 9 months have had to go into immediate testing and isolation for 2 weeks upon return.

I can’t work out why an island nation like UK didn’t do exactly the same.

Is the relative remoteness of Australia and NZ a factor that makes it easier ? I'm not sure how many people enter those countries in a typical day compared to the UK.

Once its already rife in the population I'm not sure it does much although , as usual, we do seem behind the curve in introducing the need for a negative test before entering.

Is the relative remoteness of Australia and NZ a factor that makes it easier ? I'm not sure how many people enter those countries in a typical day compared to the UK.

Once its already rife in the population I'm not sure it does much although , as usual, we do seem behind the curve in introducing the need for a negative test before entering.

It's because both countries took strong positive action very early in the piece. Good clear, communication and explanation enabled everyone to understand what needed to be done and why.
The very rapid up skiling of track and trace staff coupled with a rapid increase in testing also made a huge difference.
NZ and Aus have both made mistakes but not many.

With such high levels of infection in the UK it's hard to see how you're going to get out of this without great loss of life.
Roughly 70,000 civilians died during WW2 already 79,000 people have died of covid.
Boris has got a lot of questions to answer over this.