Sour Grapes | Page 2 | Vital Football

Sour Grapes

I am not a great fan of slow possession football, beyond the fact that the opposition can not score when we have the ball. I just find it incredibly dull. Until they released the killer pass to Messi, even the tika-taka Barcelona style with Xavi and Iniesta left me cold. Give me cut and thrust any time.

It seems that sides having only 30% possession, as we did yesterday, often end up winning these days so hopefully the penny will drop and the game will be more exciting for it.

As for players going down too easily and Evans and Raynor moaning, that was their reputation when their teams played against us so it may be fair comment but doesn't worry me too much. Every team has a player or two that behaves similarly.

I am happy for us to win ugly or win pretty to be honest so who cares what the opposition say .......

the only annoyance for me was I forgot to post in the prediction league when I would gone for a home win Hitting

Well the number of times we've seen teams come to Priestfield score first and time waste, play act etc. It annoys the hell out of me when it happens but job done for the opposition. I'm not saying we did that yesterday because apart from noticing drawing a few fouls which I put down to clever play at the time as the player was going nowhere I thought nothing of it until Blackpool reporters brought it up

Blackpool fans should re-watch the match. I thought that they were far the dirtier team. I even recall one of their players rugby tackling one of our lads in the centre of the park when we had the opportunity of going one decent break.

TBF some of them were also agreeing. A lot of them in fact. ie -

“This comment is wholly accurate in my view.
Gillingham will not have an easier game than that all season. We have a generation of fans who have been brought on stats and knock one out having 67 % possession and that makes you good to watch or a better team. It's utter bollocks.”

Fair play 👏

Another said that our “tidy but toothless” summary of them was 100% correct.

Ha that’s football. If you set your stall out and start kicking around the opposition early on, then the ref quickly gets wind of your game, but also so do the opposition. Go down at the slightest touch and you get an easy free kick.

Add to that get away with as much time-wasting as the referee allows you and you can hold on to a lead. Name me a team who doesn’t time-waste.

As was just said earlier, there’s no joy in losing with 70% possession just because you spent most of the game passing it around between your goalkeeper and back four, before passing back to the goalkeeper the moment you approach the halfway line. Sounds like Gills were well organised for a team of youngsters freshly put together.

Blackpool fans should re-watch the match. I thought that they were far the dirtier team. I even recall one of their players rugby tackling one of our lads in the centre of the park when we had the opportunity of going one decent break.
Don't tell me Hess Sr has a relative playing for Blackpool.

One fans "time wasting" and "easy falling down" is another fans "game management", always will be, dependent on whether one`s team is winning or losing, of course.

I don`t like it when a player feigns an injury or a trip by embellishment, it`s unsportsmanlike, basically dishonest and cheating.

But this sort of behaviour in football is prevalent. It has, through increased commonality, become an encouraged practice, necessary to prevent disadvantage.

Hay ho.

Besides, we have a free pass against Blackpool after their actions under Worthington. I was there. Never forget.
Yes if I remember correctly Worthington said after the match it was dog eat dog, "what do you expect when the home team is 1-0 down with ten minutes to go."
Agree it wasn't sportsmanlike, but in today's games we see so much shirt tugging, players looking for a foul by going down so easily, barging into each other in the penalty area when corners are being taken, a far cry from when I first watched the matches when players went down only when they were seriously injured.
I was at that match and can picture it right now I was right opposite when the ball went back into play and Murphy scored, Taylor went mental as any manager would have done.

One fans "time wasting" and "easy falling down" is another fans "game management", always will be, dependent on whether one`s team is winning or losing, of course.

I don`t like it when a player feigns an injury or a trip by embellishment, it`s unsportsmanlike, basically dishonest and cheating.

But this sort of behaviour in football is prevalent. It has, through increased commonality, become an encouraged practice, necessary to prevent disadvantage.

Hay ho.
Time-wasting by opponents always annoys me, but that’s mainly down to the referee. Like I said earlier, you get away with what the ref allows you to. If a team is blatantly time-wasting from early second half then you’d soon get fed up and start blowing your whistle to speed up the opposition. If the ref fails to call you up on it then time-waste all you like.

There is unspirti
Yes if I remember correctly Worthington said after the match it was dog eat dog, "what do you expect when the home team is 1-0 down with ten minutes to go."
Agree it wasn't sportsmanlike, but in today's games we see so much shirt tugging, players looking for a foul by going down so easily, barging into each other in the penalty area when corners are being taken, a far cry from when I first watched the matches when players went down only when they were seriously injured.
I was at that match and can picture it right now I was right opposite when the ball went back into play and Murphy scored, Taylor went mental as any manager would have done.

There is unsporting conduct and then there is exploiting sporting conduct. I was there too. A dark day that will live in infamy, but sunny and the Pies were good too.

Living locally, Matt Scrafton is usually a reasonable reporter, I've found.

But yes, this is one he probably should have gone for a stroll before submitting. It smacks of frustration at Blackpool, but ultimately ends up sounding equally sour towards Gillingham, for the most part. I guess, though, it's not our fan base he needs to ingratiate with his writing...

Also, it could just be me, but it feels like the Gills have lived rent-free in Blackpool's heads for the last little while:

The Eaves game (his last as a Gill), when we walloped them on the final day in May 2019 was proper humbling. It was over really early, and there was a party atmosphere for the away fans throughout. Hanlon then broke their backs in February earlier this year with a 95th minute winner, 3-2. That was a real kick in the teeth. And now, this one.

To 'Pool, we're not a glamorous name, while they've long been a club which is comfortable self-aggrandizing over its history (What else do they have these days?) Loads of changes to their squad this year, in attempt to get over the hump of all that new promise... losing to us repeatedly has got to sting.

It's pretty funny!