Sour Grapes | Vital Football

Sour Grapes

Their main fans forum says much the same, painting their team as Barcelona wannabes. I have no idea if the Gills are any better or worse at the dark arts of football, but all teams dive and feign injury to get an advantage. It’s one of the reasons my interest in football has diminished.

I love it when I read something like that. They lost, simple. Get over it. To many times in the past we've been to easy to play against but not under SE.

According to Jeff Stelling yesterday Blackpool have only won two of there last 15 away games iirc.

Last edited:
I’ve read some biased, jaundiced reports in my time but some of the stuff in this really takes the biscuit.

https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/...ct-seasiders-abject-defeat-gillingham-2984701

Really Waldo? I didn’t watch the game but I think the reporter concedes that for all Blackpool’s possession they didn’t do anything with it and deserved to lose.

A week referee gets brought up, but again, he says that the ref wasn’t the reason for the defeat.

He does mention strapping 6 footers going down easily. Yet we’ve been undone by these tactics for years. I’m glad we finally have a manager that can fight dirty when required.

I dudnt
Really Waldo? I didn’t watch the game but I think the reporter concedes that for all Blackpool’s possession they didn’t do anything with it and deserved to lose.

A week referee gets brought up, but again, he says that the ref wasn’t the reason for the defeat.

He does mention strapping 6 footers going down easily. Yet we’ve been undone by these tactics for years. I’m glad we finally have a manager that can fight dirty when required.
I didn’t say all of, I said some of it. If you didn’t watch the match you wouldn’t have known that the stuff about players going down when touched etc are just laughable.

We'll forever be the type of team who people can't stand losing to at this level. We're too unfashionable.

Personally I love winning like this against teams that are on a high horse cause they keep possession and that makes them think they're Barcelona.

Beat me to it Waldo. Would be interested in Whitstable Tangerine's viewpoint unless he has already posted and I missed it.
I posted a little earlier on the match thread, but would just add that having watched football for many years, excuses for losing whether it be the opposition's tactics or the referee I tend to ignore and look at the bigger picture on how my team has played, the way in which they have passed the ball, how they have played as a team, individual performances and the way that they could improve by either introducing new players or playing them in different positions.
I am not making excuses for yesterday, we were pretty poor and can't argue with the result, we lost and there will be others in the course of the season, not too many I hope.

Last edited:
I dudnt

I didn’t say all of, I said some of it. If you didn’t watch the match you wouldn’t have known that the stuff about players going down when touched etc are just laughable.

Fair point, I didn’t watch live as I said, so you will have a better idea of how the whole match panned out. I did catch the extended highlights this morning and thought their most dangerous guy was Kaikai? (sp) . Enjoyed Oliver’s hold up play for the second. Great strike too by Samuel, but should a keeper get beaten low, far post, from that far out?

I just thought as far as one sided, biased reports go, I’ve seem plenty worse than that. And as I said, their reporter makes mention of 70% possession with no end product being worthless, Poor final balls, horror defending, he concedes that they “were soundly beaten and can have no complaints”.

Not sure that is what I’d class as a biased report, but ho hum. We’re all different.

I posted a little earlier on the match thread, but would just add that having watched football for many years, excuses for losing whether it be the opposition's tactics or the referee I tend to ignore and look at the bigger picture on how my team has played, the way in which they have passed the ball, how they have played as a team, individual performances and the way that they could improve by either introducing new players or playing them in different positions.
I am not making excuses for yesterday, we were pretty poor and can't argue with the result, we lost and there will be others in the course of the season, not too many I hope.
Great post. Wish yours luck this season.

Not sure that is what I’d class as a biased report, but ho hum. We’re all different.

The article didn’t help itself with the main paragraph -

“If 2020 was a football match, the ugly, often cynical approach of Gillingham deservedly overcoming the pretty but ineffective Blackpool would probably be it.”

But I suppose it was aimed at Pool fans not Gills fans.

I personally didn’t see anything “ugly” or “cynical” in our approach. And I certainly didn’t see anything “pretty” in Blackpool’s play either.

I reckon we were efficient, organised, pretty direct, effective, threatening going forward and decent in defence. Certainly clinical with our chances (for once).

Blackpool were good in possession and passed it well. But rather than pretty I thought it was often dull and with no threat. Their good passing at the back and in midfield became very poor in the final third. They created just one decent shot and one near own goal in 80 mins before they came to life in the last 10 minutes and started threatening. By then we were comfortable and they were the ones falling over to get free kicks when in scoring range.

Having watched a lot of it back, I thought we were very comfortable for all bar 10 mins.