Sounds like a top signing

By the way KDZ, just a thought re your statistics earlier. You said:

The UK economy is made up of:
1. Interntal trade
2 .Exports to the EU
3. Imports from the EU
4. Exports to rest of world
5. Imports from rest of world

5 effective pieces of the pie - in which about 10% of our economy is exporting to the EU or 12% if you include transits to non EU countries that go via the EU. This is true.

Don't you think that's a little misleading to quote the 10% without that additional context. Normally, when dealing with percentages, one presumes that 100% is attainable. You stating that only 10% of our economy is in exports to the EU suggests/implies/leads readers to believe that we export 90% outside the EU.

I appreciate that this isn't what you were saying ......... but it's what your statement implied ...... .or at least, it's what it leads the reader to infer.

Lies, damned lies, Brexit shit, and statistics.
;)

It's called pragmatism Moonay. You ought to try it ?

And what is this good work you allude to?

Anyone who tries to educate themselves - no matter what the subject, and no matter what ridicule they may encounter - deserves praise for their efforts.

Richy....... ignore 'em mate. They're all getting a bit uppity cos the dodgy vote they won probably isn't going to deliver what they thought/wanted/were told.

Johnson, Rees-Mogg. Farage etc are busily lining their own pockets, and have more or less caved in to the fact that they had an open goal, and they did a Ronnie Rosenthal! (Note- that isn't meant in an anti semitic way).

Keep up the good work pal......& good luck.
?
Moonay, tbf you are normally sensible and balanced but on this one - just :shake:

Moonay, tbf you are normally sensible and balanced but on this one - just :shake:

Which bit Hampton?

The 1st paragraph is admittedly tongue in cheek. The 2nd however is absolutely bob on. The last is merely a cheerio to a fellow poster.

Touched a nerve, eh?
:unsure:
:whist:

Why is all this not in the Brexit thread

Yep.......apologies Zakky ............ I bumped it up in the hope that this debate would transfer over there.

To be fair, there's not much left to say on the original topic.

By the way KDZ, just a thought re your statistics earlier. You said:

The UK economy is made up of:
1. Interntal trade
2 .Exports to the EU
3. Imports from the EU
4. Exports to rest of world
5. Imports from rest of world

5 effective pieces of the pie - in which about 10% of our economy is exporting to the EU or 12% if you include transits to non EU countries that go via the EU. This is true.

Don't you think that's a little misleading to quote the 10% without that additional context. Normally, when dealing with percentages, one presumes that 100% is attainable. You stating that only 10% of our economy is in exports to the EU suggests/implies/leads readers to believe that we export 90% outside the EU.

I appreciate that this isn't what you were saying ......... but it's what your statement implied ...... .or at least, it's what it leads the reader to infer.

Lies, damned lies, Brexit shit, and statistics.
;)

I think you are misunderstanding the context i was referencing it in - due to the nature of tariffs being applied to goods the buyer can go elsewhere to potentially get cheaper goods (eg inside of SM buying certain farming goods from emerging African economies can incur huge tariffs - i think some not far off 20% - if we leave we can reduce that to 0% and source certain goods we currently buy from EU from there even cheaper). So while the buyer has options the seller will be the one to most likely suffer as those customers source alternatives.

Yet it is implied the whole economy will suffer massively if there were tariffs but the reality is only 10-12% of the economy would be effected negatively . I dont think there will be tariffs no matter what tbh but in that worst case scenario approx 88% of the economy remaining largely unaffected is the flip side and that is a drastically different picture than is ever mentioned.

....... but the reality is only 10-12% of the economy would be effected negatively . I dont think there will be tariffs no matter what tbh but in that worst case scenario approx 88% of the economy remaining largely unaffected is the flip side and that is a drastically different picture than is ever mentioned.

No, I didn't misunderstand the context KDZ ........... I merely pointed out the potential for deception (intended or otherwise) in your figures.

Having said all that, given your comments above, it's got to be asked ......... is it all going to be worth it ?

No, I didn't misunderstand the context KDZ ........... I merely pointed out the potential for deception (intended or otherwise) in your figures.

Having said all that, given your comments above, it's got to be asked ......... is it all going to be worth it ?

I dont understand how you can percive deception if you understand the context the stat was used.

I dont think there will be massive long term financial implications but even if there were id still vote out as i think being outside of the EUs plans for deeper integration is in our best interests and self determination and sovregnity are more valuable than GDP growing a couple of percent less. Evan Mark Carneys iffy worst case scenario didnt forcast a shrink in GDP just less growth than forcast. As GDP often isn't a great indication of how well people are doing - for example GDP grew during times that wages were stagnant.

The stats you quoted at first - without the context - were open to misinterpretation. You then clarified the context...... which I understood........ which made the stats possibly deceptive.

Not hard.

Any road, no more posts for me on this subject on this thread.