Sounds like a top signing | Vital Football

Sounds like a top signing

ZAKKY

Vital Football Hero
Wigan Athletic are delighted to announce that Kevin Roberts has joined the club as a non-executive director.

Kevin is an international business leader, founder and educator who has previously worked in senior leadership roles at Procter & Gamble, Gillette, Pepsi-Cola and Saatchi & Saatchi, one of the world’s leading creative organizations, among others.

A former director of the New Zealand Rugby Union and former chairman of USA Rugby, Roberts has also served on the Board of New Zealand Football and as a Trustee for a Team New Zealand America’s Cup challenge.

Speaking about the appointment, Wigan Athletic executive chairman Darren Royle said:

“This is a hugely exciting appointment for Wigan Athletic; Kevin’s expertise in creative thinking, marketing and leadership will be will be hugely beneficial to all areas of our club.

“Kevin is passionate about sport and success on and off the pitch and he has successfully influenced high-profile organizations into building a successful purpose – something we hope to replicate here at Wigan Athletic.”

Latics site

Kevin Roberts has become the newest member of the Wigan Athletic board. Here's five things we know about the new non-executive director.

* Was born and raised just up the M6 in Lancaster before moving over to New Zealand to become chief operating officer at brewer Lion Nathan.

* While at Pepsi Canada - and during a keynote speech to a group of employees, bottlers, and the media - Roberts had a Coke vending machine rolled onto the stage while he was speaking. As he finished his speech, he picked up a machine gun (borrowed from police officers but fitted with blanks), and blasted the Coke machine!

* Credited with almost single- handedly turning around the fortunes of Saatchi & Saatchi after taking over in 1997, to the extent they were awarded a US$430 million JC Penney contract because of his 'love marks' concept.

* Also developed the concept of 'sisomo' - meaning 'sight, sound and motion', to encapsulate the attachment people had developed with screens. It's surely no coincidence his appointment comes 24 hours after confirmation of a new big screen at the DW.

* Was awarded a Companion of the New Zealand Order of Merit, for services to business and the community, in the 2013 Queen's Birthday Honours.

from WEP TODAY

Last edited:
I’ve spent a lifetime in Sports. As a player (Rugby, Soccer, Tennis, Track and Field, Table-Tennis), a Coach (Rugby) and Administrator (New Zealand All Blacks, USA Rugby, New Zealand Soccer, North Harbour Rugby, Team New Zealand Yachting). Five years ago I completed my second four year term as Chairman of USA Rugby, and in line with Governance terms, stepped down. I decided to take a break after 30 years non-stop in the admin roles mentioned above – and just enjoy being an All Black and Manchester City Fan. Now I’m back!! This week we’ll be announcing that I’ve joined the Board of Wigan Athletic Football Club in The Championship, England’s second tier where three clubs are promoted each year into the Premiership. Wigan (The Latics) were founded 87 years ago in 1932. They spent eight years in the Premier League – from 2005 – 2013, and won the 2012-13 FA Cup Final beating my beloved Manchester City 1/0 at Wembley. (The Latics knocked City out of the Cup again (in 2014) and again(!) in 2018.) I forgive them. They’re a good grass-roots working class Lancashire team, less than 40 miles away from my home town of Lancaster. On November 2 2018, International Entertainment Corporation (IEC) Hong Kong bought the Club, stadium and training facilities. The new Board had its inaugural meeting last week, under Darren Royle’s Executive Chairmanship. Darren’s Dad – Joe, ex Man City player/manager, and Everton/England legend, is on the Board alongside CEO Jonathan Jackson, IEC rep Thomas Chan and yours truly. We’ve started by developing, with the Club’s leadership team, a new Purpose on a Page for the Club. Our Dream: To bring European Football to Wigan. Our Focus: To win Football matches. Our Spirit: We Are Wigan. We are currently 19th in the Championship. A league of 24 teams where three are relegated each year. Eight games to go this season. We must win at least two. A lot to do. Watch this space. KR POSTED BY KEVIN ROBERTS Older Post

Looks like an appointment to improve the commercial side of the business not the on pitch personnel. Hopefully he is there to bring in some much needed cash and is seen by IEC as a safe pair of hands ( unlike Walton last night) to pursue their plans for extra curricular uses for the stadium. Hope he succeeds.

“To bring European football to Wigan”

Bahahahahahaha! The only chance Wigan will see European football again is if they resurrect the old Anglo-Welsh Cup.

I’ve spent a lifetime in Sports. As a player (Rugby, Soccer, Tennis, Track and Field, Table-Tennis), a Coach (Rugby) and Administrator (New Zealand All Blacks, USA Rugby, New Zealand Soccer, North Harbour Rugby, Team New Zealand Yachting). Five years ago I completed my second four year term as Chairman of USA Rugby, and in line with Governance terms, stepped down. I decided to take a break after 30 years non-stop in the admin roles mentioned above – and just enjoy being an All Black and Manchester City Fan. Now I’m back!! This week we’ll be announcing that I’ve joined the Board of Wigan Athletic Football Club in The Championship, England’s second tier where three clubs are promoted each year into the Premiership. Wigan (The Latics) were founded 87 years ago in 1932. They spent eight years in the Premier League – from 2005 – 2013, and won the 2012-13 FA Cup Final beating my beloved Manchester City 1/0 at Wembley. (The Latics knocked City out of the Cup again (in 2014) and again(!) in 2018.) I forgive them. They’re a good grass-roots working class Lancashire team, less than 40 miles away from my home town of Lancaster. On November 2 2018, International Entertainment Corporation (IEC) Hong Kong bought the Club, stadium and training facilities. The new Board had its inaugural meeting last week, under Darren Royle’s Executive Chairmanship. Darren’s Dad – Joe, ex Man City player/manager, and Everton/England legend, is on the Board alongside CEO Jonathan Jackson, IEC rep Thomas Chan and yours truly. We’ve started by developing, with the Club’s leadership team, a new Purpose on a Page for the Club. Our Dream: To bring European Football to Wigan. Our Focus: To win Football matches. Our Spirit: We Are Wigan. We are currently 19th in the Championship. A league of 24 teams where three are relegated each year. Eight games to go this season. We must win at least two. A lot to do. Watch this space. KR POSTED BY KEVIN ROBERTS Older Post

Until about 5 lines in I thought you were talking about yourself Zakky, and I was extremely impressed!

Seems a good addition to the board.

Can somebody tell him he sounds like a dick
"Purpose on a page" management speak bollocks thats going to resonate with the fans and town - not

Could someone tell him it's football not soccer.

When people called it soccer in the 60s and 70s nobody batted an eyelid.I had loads of 'soccer' books as a kid,the sanctimonious decided to use the word was wrong,just because the yanks use it.
Fuck all wrong with calling it soccer, bring it back I say
It's wankers that call the Premier League the Premiership that want pulling up .

Wigan Athletic are delighted to announce that Kevin Roberts has joined the club as a non-executive director.

Kevin is an international business leader, founder and educator who has previously worked in senior leadership roles at Procter & Gamble, Gillette, Pepsi-Cola and Saatchi & Saatchi, one of the world’s leading creative organizations, among others.

A former director of the New Zealand Rugby Union and former chairman of USA Rugby, Roberts has also served on the Board of New Zealand Football and as a Trustee for a Team New Zealand America’s Cup challenge.

Speaking about the appointment, Wigan Athletic executive chairman Darren Royle said:

“This is a hugely exciting appointment for Wigan Athletic; Kevin’s expertise in creative thinking, marketing and leadership will be will be hugely beneficial to all areas of our club.

“Kevin is passionate about sport and success on and off the pitch and he has successfully influenced high-profile organizations into building a successful purpose – something we hope to replicate here at Wigan Athletic.”

Latics site

Kevin Roberts has become the newest member of the Wigan Athletic board. Here's five things we know about the new non-executive director.

* Was born and raised just up the M6 in Lancaster before moving over to New Zealand to become chief operating officer at brewer Lion Nathan.

* While at Pepsi Canada - and during a keynote speech to a group of employees, bottlers, and the media - Roberts had a Coke vending machine rolled onto the stage while he was speaking. As he finished his speech, he picked up a machine gun (borrowed from police officers but fitted with blanks), and blasted the Coke machine!

* Credited with almost single- handedly turning around the fortunes of Saatchi & Saatchi after taking over in 1997, to the extent they were awarded a US$430 million JC Penney contract because of his 'love marks' concept.

* Also developed the concept of 'sisomo' - meaning 'sight, sound and motion', to encapsulate the attachment people had developed with screens. It's surely no coincidence his appointment comes 24 hours after confirmation of a new big screen at the DW.

* Was awarded a Companion of the New Zealand Order of Merit, for services to business and the community, in the 2013 Queen's Birthday Honours.

from WEP TODAY
We really need this right now.....we have the worst away record in history....and we are bringing in a guru.....up the river without a paddle league 1 here we come!

Best appointment for the admin. side of the club for years. Onward a nd upward.
we now need to stay up this season, and the future could be v ery bright.
Common lads let's get them points.

When people called it soccer in the 60s and 70s nobody batted an eyelid.I had loads of 'soccer' books as a kid,the sanctimonious decided to use the word was wrong,just because the yanks use it.
Fuck all wrong with calling it soccer, bring it back I say
It's wankers that call the Premier League the Premiership that want pulling up .