SOS Nigel Adkins | Vital Football

SOS Nigel Adkins

Made in Wigan

Vital Champions League
There has to be a change in manager. Cook has drained all positivity out of the players and supporters. His record, particularly sway from home, is beyond woeful. No manager should be able to survive that. Whether we’ve good enough players to survive is subjective, whether we have a good enough to do is certainly not. There is no doubt if we retain this clown League 1 is a forgone conclusion.

For me the only realistic option to come in and save us is Nigel Atkins. Has a lot of experience at this level, ‘success’ last season at Hull, always comes across as positive and is a former player - and they invariably have an initial impact with us. Either way he can’t be any worse than listening to and watching the bilge that cook serves up.

ACT NOW,

Nigel Adkins isn’t going to turn this shitstorm around. No Jared Bowen’s in our team to score 20 goals from midfield.

No manager will. The horse has bolted. No decent manager will look twice at this job now. We’re going down. The sheep among our support will continue to clap the players off and arse lick the manager game after game.

Blackburn and Derby are my last ones, because they are already paid for. No more until he’s gone. I realised during my holiday earlier in the season that I didn’t miss going as much as I thought I would. Clubs a shell of its former self.

Gelhardt could be our Jarrod Bowen and be the saviour but I get the feeling a deal is already done and we won’t risk him.

I mentioned some third hand supposed inside info the other week that i heard that to pay Cook off was 6m. I said i didn't believe it, but i've actually spoke to the second had source and i was told the wrong info completely by the person who passed it on (to be fair he is 96) it was apparently 4m for Cook and all of his staff combined. That sounds a lot more plausible when you do some quick sums. Not saying it's true but that's what i've heard - so make of that what you will.

I mentioned some third hand supposed inside info the other week that i heard that to pay Cook off was 6m. I said i didn't believe it, but i've actually spoke to the second had source and i was told the wrong info completely by the person who passed it on (to be fair he is 96) it was apparently 4m for Cook and all of his staff combined. That sounds a lot more plausible when you do some quick sums. Not saying it's true but that's what i've heard - so make of that what you will.

To be honest KDZ we could sack Cook and retain his staff. If the new manager came in and they decided to leave there would be no pay offs.

Another question is whether they were given time limited contracts similar to Cook in the first place, other than Leam Richardson I would think the remainder would be on one year rolling deals.

So football managers are all immune from dismissal whatever the circumstances are unless they are payed up to the end of their contract?

So football managers are all immune from dismissal whatever the circumstances are unless they are payed up to the end of their contract?

No Jeff. But you cant just terminate a contract due to results and not pay it up, although he is ultimately responsible for the results. You couldn't sack a manager of a business based solely on the performance of that business. Most businessmen removed from their position receive the "golden handshake" when they are removed as would be the case with a football manager.

well pretty much Jeff....yes

Unless they are guilty of something that meets the criteria of ‘gross misconduct’...(like Marlon King did as a player for example) but ineptitude in the role isn’t grounds for sacking without compensation.....or a Bloody sight more of ’em would get sacked a lot more quickly.

Ron Saunders who was a successful manager in the 70’s died last week and I seem to recall that at one club (Villa I think) he ended up on a rolling 12 month contract which strikes me as being sensible for all parties in that the manager is guaranteed 12 months wages, but the club isn’t exposed to 2 or 3 years of costs....if they think they need to sack him.
The manager‘s relatively short contract also prevents any potential new suitors from being put off by them having to buy out his contract from his current club....removing an obstacle to his own career advancement.

There has to be a change in manager. Cook has drained all positivity out of the players and supporters. His record, particularly sway from home, is beyond woeful. No manager should be able to survive that. Whether we’ve good enough players to survive is subjective, whether we have a good enough to do is certainly not. There is no doubt if we retain this clown League 1 is a forgone conclusion.

For me the only realistic option to come in and save us is Nigel Atkins. Has a lot of experience at this level, ‘success’ last season at Hull, always comes across as positive and is a former player - and they invariably have an initial impact with us. Either way he can’t be any worse than listening to and watching the bilge that cook serves up.

ACT NOW,
I agree totally. Yesterday I was pleased to see Richardson and another coach occupying the square. The players responded well to them both and they played well. The passing on the ground was far better than the big boot upfield.
Then in the second half along came Cook waving his arms and bawling. The players definitely dropped off somewhat.

windass scores a really good strikers goal BUT he would not have been there if the Cook man had been in the square. Windass would have been told to get back!

that said I wonder if windass has or is planning a move in January. He does avoid going in for the ball. He is avoiding an injury.

but you all know something is amiss. perhaps the billionaire Chinese chappie wants us to go down so he can buy for less? Or he wants to close down the club he has a lot of land which could be used for Housing! Perhaps they think everything will be right after Christmas.

cook will be snapped up by

I agree totally. Yesterday I was pleased to see Richardson and another coach occupying the square. The players responded well to them both and they played well. The passing on the ground was far better than the big boot upfield.
Then in the second half along came Cook waving his arms and bawling. The players definitely dropped off somewhat.

windass scores a really good strikers goal BUT he would not have been there if the Cook man had been in the square. Windass would have been told to get back!

that said I wonder if windass has or is planning a move in January. He does avoid going in for the ball. He is avoiding an injury.

but you all know something is amiss. perhaps the billionaire Chinese chappie wants us to go down so he can buy for less? Or he wants to close down the club he has a lot of land which could be used for Housing! Perhaps they think everything will be right after Christmas.

cook will be snapped up by

Strapworld, we have had this discussion on the other thread but without labouring the point, the amount of land available would not sell for enough to make a dent in the money already invested in the club by the owners.

Choi already owns the club and us going down will not make any difference to what he has already paid. He is not buying the club he is just transferring ownership.

Cook was directing operations all match from the vantage point of the gantry and was waving play on from up there, not telling players to back off. The players heads went down when they conceded the lead and was nothing to do with Cook arriving in the box. It was a good move and a class strike by the Huddersfield player that caused it. Not Cook bawling and waving his arms.

You, like others are looking for excuses to blame Cook for the draw and failing to see any positives from the game.

A short contract would imply to a manager that you have no faith or confidence in his ability and would put many off from signing as they would have no stability for their families.
Meanwhile back in the real world most folk have 1 months notice......!
Whoever gave Cook his current contract wants slapping