SOS Nigel Adkins | Page 2 | Vital Football

SOS Nigel Adkins

Meanwhile back in the real world most folk have 1 months notice......!
Whoever gave Cook his current contract wants slapping

A serious question Hampton, would you be prepared to take a job at the other end of the country uprooting your wife and kids, changing house and schools etc without some sort of job security to fall back on?

I certainly wouldn't and I'll wager I'm not alone in that.

I'd be happy to sack Cook and promote internally until the end of the season if we had to. Just try and do something - anything different rather than go do without even trying.

I keep saying Holloway as I bet he'd come and work with all current coaching staff to save money in paying them all off. Same with people like Sol Campbell who just wants the chance at this level.

We have options but until Cook is booted we are sunk without a trace. I think if we keep Cook we'll finish bottom with one of the lowest ever points totals. By the end of the season he'll make Caldwells 18% win ratio look quite good and Joyce's 25% looked amazing by comparison. Joyce was a drastically better manager than Cook and that is really saying something.

I agree totally. Yesterday I was pleased to see Richardson and another coach occupying the square. The players responded well to them both and they played well. The passing on the ground was far better than the big boot upfield.
Then in the second half along came Cook waving his arms and bawling. The players definitely dropped off somewhat.

windass scores a really good strikers goal BUT he would not have been there if the Cook man had been in the square. Windass would have been told to get back!

that said I wonder if windass has or is planning a move in January. He does avoid going in for the ball. He is avoiding an injury.

but you all know something is amiss. perhaps the billionaire Chinese chappie wants us to go down so he can buy for less? Or he wants to close down the club he has a lot of land which could be used for Housing! Perhaps they think everything will be right after Christmas.

cook will be snapped up by
I agree with most of that, but the land grab / building houses conspiracy theory is absolutely baseless. No way they could even come close to a profit that way.

I'd be happy to sack Cook and promote internally until the end of the season if we had to. Just try and do something - anything different rather than go do without even trying.

I keep saying Holloway as I bet he'd come and work with all current coaching staff to save money in paying them all off. Same with people like Sol Campbell who just wants the chance at this level.

We have options but until Cook is booted we are sunk without a trace. I think if we keep Cook we'll finish bottom with one of the lowest ever points totals. By the end of the season he'll make Caldwells 18% win ratio look quite good and Joyce's 25% looked amazing by comparison. Joyce was a drastically better manager than Cook and that is really saying something.
I'd try to get Gareth Ainsworth. Plays lovely stuff, and has consistently overachieved with Wycombe given they're a pretty small club. He deserves a shot at a higher level.

A serious question Hampton, would you be prepared to take a job at the other end of the country uprooting your wife and kids, changing house and schools etc without some sort of job security to fall back on?

TB - A serious answer - yes, I've done it twice, once successfully once not (and of course each to their own on that) though on a 3 month notice period as i backed myself to sort out an alternative if it didn't work out.
My point was about Cook's contract - he didn't need a 3/4 year deal to encourage him to commute down the M58 for work - he was south coast before that on a shorter contract which was a far greater risk.
If paid off tomorrow he will be financially secure for life, sure he'll be able to "get by" with no risk at all to his family !
Not many managers get that length of deal even in the world of football. He must of thought he'd won the lottery - literally.
Don't blame him for taking it of course fair do's but the Whelans promise to do the best by the club doesn't stand up in this regard given where we find ourselves right now.

TB.....for my job...”no”....but for a job where there is a high failure rate ....a job that paid me ‘hundreds of thousands of pounds a year’ (possibly a million plus) ....and where the sack guaranteed me that said sum in severance, then of course I would ....and I’ll wager I’m not alone in that either!

Just get Graham Barrow back for a few months.

Furthermore TB....forget football managers, I’ve known and worked with lads who have decamped from the a north west to the Midlands, South of England (home counties) , Belgium and even China ! ....all of them, had it gone tits up (it did for at least one of them) would then get one months salary by right (but more typically 3 months as a ‘gesture’) but football managers can’t/won’t take the same risks for inordinately more money ...why not ?

I'd try to get Gareth Ainsworth. Plays lovely stuff, and has consistently overachieved with Wycombe given they're a pretty small club. He deserves a shot at a higher level.

He's gonna get that shot next season with Wycombe so why would he switch?
Plus I'm pretty certain that they have big money backers now

Back to the original post - if Nigel Adkins hadn't played (and played badly at that) for us the best part of 30 years ago, then no-one would be putting his name forward
He's done Jack 💩 since leaving Southampton in numerous managerial posts & in fact has been despised by the supporters at all of them (bar Hull) when he was sacked
He did okayish at Hull with the help of a couple of exceptional players (I thought Hull were awful against us) but even there was sacked by the powers that be
Yes Cook isn't performing & to many anyone will seem a step up but please if Cook is given the push I hope the club doesn't even give a passing glance in Adkins direction

TB.....for my job...”no”....but for a job where there is a high failure rate ....a job that paid me ‘hundreds of thousands of pounds a year’ (possibly a million plus) ....and where the sack guaranteed me that said sum in severance, then of course I would ....and I’ll wager I’m not alone in that either!

I feel you are defeating your own argument there Zeb.

"A job were there is a high failure rate...…"

Therefore most people would want a longer contract to guarantee their security and that of their loved ones.

If you offered most managers in the game a one year deal they would turn it down, unless it was a local club and there was little or no disruption to their families.

"and where the sack guaranteed me the said sum in severance"

On a one year deal you would not have much left of your contract if you were sacked mid way through, so no big payout there then. Apart from the top two divisions I doubt many managers are on 20k a week (1 million pa). So the lower league manager who goes from one end of the country to the other with all the expense that entails and fails in his first season gets the boot with no payout. Would you still want the job.

The manager is the most important man in the club. I’m quite content we gave Cook a lucrative deal. I also understand why the club wanted to give him more time than the norm to turn it around.

But we’re past that stage. I’d sooner spend our January budget on an experienced manager than let Cook waste millions more. And by waste I don’t even mean his signings aren’t upto it. There’s plenty of talent in this squad. To see the likes of Moore, Gelhardt, Lowe, Pilkington etc. wasted. It’s heartbreaking how we’ve apparently consigned ourselves to relegation with so many points still to play for.

Judging by the vast swathes of missing ST holders on Wednesday & Saturday. Maybe it will be stay away fans who eventually force change.

My argument wasn't about who I'd choose given a full reign of options more about getting someone in at minimal cost. I Ainsworth would cost compo - so I am just suggesting options if we booted Cook who would likely be willing to come in on low money and work with existing staff.

My argument wasn't about who I'd choose given a full reign of options more about getting someone in at minimal cost. I Ainsworth would cost compo - so I am just suggesting options if we booted Cook who would likely be willing to come in on low money and work with existing staff.
I wasn't disagreeing with you. Far from it. I've always liked Holloway and the way his teams play. I'd be delighted if we could get him in.

I only suggested Ainsworth because I don't think he'd cost the earth and he's used to managing with a tight budget.

Last edited:
I feel you are defeating your own argument there Zeb.

"A job were there is a high failure rate...…" ( the argument is there for the club as much as the manager TB)

"and where the sack guaranteed me the said sum in severance"

On a one year deal you would not have much left of your contract if you were sacked mid way through, so no big payout there then.

TB I referred to a rolling 12 months contract so at each month end it refreshes, so it always has 12 months to run.....the concept maybe wouldn’t be as appropriate for someone moving to Stevenage Borough for say £100k pa or less or whatever but when managers are earning £250 to 500k per annum (and I’d guess PC is on at least the upper end of that range and likely more ?)...then why not ?