Sorry to say | Vital Football

Sorry to say

plumbob

Vital Champions League
Unfortunately, Dc/NC have suffered with their first real transfer window. The business done and the value for money ideology (which I appreciate) have left us short of where we need to be.
Hope the brothers have learnt their lesson and are ready to move forward with us.

The only thing I would say re value for money is that Green is probably our highest paid player? Or close to, at least. Whereas probably Eardley, Vickers, Dickie on loan are relatively £££ friendly deals and all look the part to me.

Not saying we don't need players obviously, but spunking a couple of grand a week on a striker might not just fix it.

Rasenimp - 21/11/2017 21:55

The only thing I would say re value for money is that Green is probably our highest paid player? Or close to, at least. Whereas probably Eardley, Vickers, Dickie on loan are relatively £££ friendly deals and all look the part to me.

Not saying we don't need players obviously, but spunking a couple of grand a week on a striker might not just fix it.

For sure. Has to be the right player. But we need someone to score some goals.

Indeed Mansfield spent a fortune on Angol and he wasn't even in the squad tonight, is he injured?

I think we need 4 or 5 new players to be honest if we are going to make a serious challenge. We show no creativity at all. Of our midfield and forwards its starting to look as though only Woodyard and Anderson are of the quality needed, especially if Bostwick has to move back when Raggett leaves.

Sadly I don't think Green, Rhead, Whitehouse, Knott, Arnold, Palmer, and Ginnelly are anything more than squad players. Stewart and JMD not even up to that level.

NottyImp - 21/11/2017 21:58

We all know, no guarantees, but generally you get what you pay for. Sadly our cup run and success might not lead to nirvana! Happy to be back but our momentum has turned from kinetic energy to latent.

NottyImp - 22/11/2017 13:58

I think there might need to be a new 'method' too. We might have won a game like today 1-0 in the conference and it has felt like that a few times - nick a goal from a well oiled set piece and soak up what comes at us with two holding midfielders and two great centre halves. Other team huffs and puffs and maybe you get another couple.

Now we've got a slightly higher quality of forward play to compete with and a much lower percentage of set piece goals. The run all over the shop striker who presses everywhere next to a big man geared to territory and percentage football is no good because we can't turn any territory into goals - your run everywhere striker doesn't spend any time in the box so even a really confident one is going to struggle with his 0.5 chances a game.

I also think this league is much more of an unpredictable nightmare fest than the Conference (IF you're a good side, that is). Even the really good Luton style sides can go and spank someone 8-0 then lose 1-0 next week.

plumbob - 21/11/2017 21:44

Unfortunately, Dc/NC have suffered with their first real transfer window. The business done and the value for money ideology (which I appreciate) have left us short of where we need to be.
Hope the brothers have learnt their lesson and are ready to move forward with us.

Where do we ‘need’ to be?

Are Eardley and Vickers on loan?

If last year you even thought you would be having this discussion you would be stark raving . We have struggled in a few games and as people have said if things had gone our way we could be top 5 .be thankfull you have a club a good board young eager managers great crowds .its a big step up from conference to league 2 for everyone . Enjoy the ride

Impartiality - 22/11/2017 01:35

Are Eardley and Vickers on loan?

Vickers was a free transfer from Swansea and has a contract until 2019.

Eardley left Northampton on a free and has a contract with us until January.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/lincoln-city/startseite/verein/1198

brisimp - 22/11/2017 01:49

If last year you even thought you would be having this discussion you would be stark raving . We have struggled in a few games and as people have said if things had gone our way we could be top 5 .be thankfull you have a club a good board young eager managers great crowds .its a big step up from conference to league 2 for everyone . Enjoy the ride

That’s where my head is right now. Seems like yesterday I was sat in the coop along with around 1200 fellow IMPs watching tripe and reading about Moyses taking the team training on skeggy beach.

The transfer window will be decisive on wether we are pushing for promotion or mid table. However this time last year I’d have snatched your hand off for a mid table FL position.

MaineRoad_96 - 21/11/2017 22:19

plumbob - 21/11/2017 21:44

Where do we ‘need’ to be?
A squad of more than 19, that leaves no real room for changing things around. Thommo said he'd been told we wanted 22, so to get to deadline day and miss out on 1 more means we got something wrong.
Having just 3 recognised forwards, I imagine is not where DC wanted to be, and clearly missing akinola didn't help. When you think 2 of the 3 have previously struggled in L2, then you might have seen our lack of goals coming.
I'm more than happy to be a FL club again. Didn't expect us to stroll straight through and win it, but equally didn't think conceding the first goal would generally mean we were going to lose.
Pretty sure we won't sell as many season tickets next year, and I doubt that is where the club wants to be.

Missing out on players in the transfer window is not necessarily dc fault many factors apply . A lot of people are questioning the lack of players bought in . In a ideal world danny would have the pick .91 other teams in the mix and thats only the league teams

brisimp - 22/11/2017 08:52

Missing out on players in the transfer window is not necessarily dc fault many factors apply . A lot of people are questioning the lack of players bought in . In a ideal world danny would have the pick .91 other teams in the mix and thats only the league teams

Fault is too strong. Assembling a squad is his responsibility though and at the moment we have too few players and last night Danny very strongly hinted that some of the players he signed or resigned are not good enough.

Danny used some strong words last night - but these are all his players now. Squad development is an evolutionary process so the key word for me is 'responsibility' not 'fault'.

brisimp - 22/11/2017 08:52

Not saying it is, or trying to blame anyone for it. I wouldn't sway DC/NC for any other manager, they are clearly very smart fellas who I hope stay with us for a few more years. The fact they are intelligent, I imagine, means we won't have another window like we had.
Your comment about the other 91 teams is bang on the money. I keep reading "if we can stay in touch with the play-off positions until January". Likewise, does anyone really believe those above and around us won't also strengthen? We just seem to have lost a chunk of that momentum we had, and need to rediscover it.