Sorry SL but it's time to part company | Vital Football

Sorry SL but it's time to part company

PhilK66

Vital 1st Team Regular
What sort of defensive coaching is Cox doing?

SL I like as a bloke very much but he is not a number 1.

Last chance now to recruit a coach who can galvanise this team which should be at least safe mid table.

Little point in changing the manager. I posted some stats on a previous thread that shows the win percentages of our last few managers. Remarkably similar. The manager is not the root cause of the issue.

The total lack of investment in league one standard players over the last few seasons is.

Very few of those players would get into a mid table league one team and even fewer into a higher team.

Its why we are where we are.

Very few of those players would get into a mid table league one team and even fewer into a higher team.

I think most would get into a mid table squad, even be in contention to make the first team but they would be the supporting cast rather than the starring role.

For how many League One teams would Byrne have been player of the season last year?

20th place this season would represent success for me. Lovell has his faults but who doesn’t at this level?

What happened to the 2 players Lovell hoped to sign in time for today’s game? Did they get lost on their way to Priestfield?
Walsall bring in 2 or 3 new players which helped them to get the result today.

I did fear the worst when I saw our starting XI, standard going with the same team which finished the last match, same thing after we beat Portsmouth then lost to Doncaster.

Nibbles comment on finishing 20th being a success is depressing, but sadly bang on the money. If we don't get relegated this season it's just a matter of time until we do. We have been in shit situations plenty of times before but I've never known such apathy from the supporters. If we were to drop to league 2 I think it will be a long time before we came back up under this current set up .

Re the OP, no.
I've said all along I'd settle for 20th with this squad and what "funds" SL has. Just a bit disappointed with the 3 or 4 cloned "midfielders".

Agree with Bromley re Byrne.

No from me as well.

Having cut Newport adrift at the foot of League Two and then lasting two months at Barnet, Graham Westley is without a job again.

If he was seriously being considered before Lovell was appointed, as was rumoured, things could DEFINITELY be worse.

Today we was poor but we have beaten Cardiff and Burton in previous wks I cant help thinking the players minds were on next sat at Swansea. They prob didn't want to pick up any knocks that's all I can think of for me if eaves is fit he has to start , I would stick Charles cook on one wing list on the other eaves in centre and parker just behind eaves . List is no number 9

Which SL do you want to sack, the one that beat Portsmouth and Cardiff with great team performances plus numerous excellent away wins or the one that cannot get the players to start well at home.

Of course when we have the first one then SL is ok, PS is ok and the squad is ok but when we lose its SL is shit, PS is shit and all of the players are shit.

The bedwetters return lol

Need 21 points from 18 games in my opinion so 7 wins.

I guess all managers have a blind spot or 2 re players but Lovell sticking with Lacey and Ogilvie in a back 3 is hard to understand. Lacey today one passed backwards or kicked straight into touch, and Ogilvie left the space for the first 2 goals.
And to see RCC, List within 10 yards of eaves in the middle with acres of space outside; when both better suited to wide roles
But Lovell as good as we can get and has done some good stuff; so persevere and hope we survive; just hope we don't lose Eaves

List was pathetic in the 2nd half. Didn't even run around. Just stood in no10 role with his socks rolled down. If that had been JET there would've been fans after his blood.

I guess all managers have a blind spot or 2 re players but Lovell sticking with Lacey and Ogilvie in a back 3 is hard to understand. Lacey today one passed backwards or kicked straight into touch, and Ogilvie left the space for the first 2 goals.
And to see RCC, List within 10 yards of eaves in the middle with acres of space outside; when both better suited to wide roles
But Lovell as good as we can get and has done some good stuff; so persevere and hope we survive; just hope we don't lose Eaves
Not sure both Ogilvie and Lacey have been in good form recently

How can you possibly think SL should go?!

He is doing a fantastic job with fck all resources. Without him we would have gone down last season. This season we have rarely been in the bottom four and have had our first decent cup run in years.

The squad is short in quality but we have had some fantastic wins. It seems quite obvious to me that the players back him and nearly always give their all. Just unfortunate that this ain't always enough.

Very noticeable that our away form is, for first time I can ever remember, better than our home form. Does this have anything to do with the fact that travelling Gillingham supporters actually show their support for the manager and the team whereas lots who only ever go to Priestfield are far too quick to get on the players back and suggest Lovell goes?!

Bollocks to suggesting Lovell goes. Who the fuck could do better than he has with such limited resources? If you're frustrated with our inconsistency and our position in the league turn your ire towards the man who fails to provide the manager with any resources, not the man who is keeping us in this division against all the odds.
FFS!

Now I'm not saying Scally should sack Lovell today, but I still have major doubts over him as manager and I think many quickly jump to his defence purely because of his background with the club. Would a manager with no affiliation to the football club be stuck up for as much as Lovell currently with our league position? My personal opinion is no.

I also often see plenty of comments along the lines of "Guardiola wouldn't get us any higher" or "none of these players would get in other League One teams." For me, comments like that are simply short-sighted nonsense. If you seriously think a Champions League winning boss wouldn't further motivate the players or apply better tactics in comparison to Steve Lovell then you're just being silly.

In terms of the players - last summer people were talking about turning down anything less than 7 figures for Holy, people often sing the praises of Ehmer and Zakuani, Reilly was a signing I think every fan was desperate for us to make after his loan, Eaves is up there with the top scorers in League One. The squad is not as bad as many make out, and plenty would make the squads of other teams in League One, they just aren't playing close to their best anywhere near often enough. We've seen against Pompey twice and Cardiff what they can do (notably against bigger clubs where the players must find it easier to motivate themselves). Against our bread and butter (the bottom half), we are all too often falling short and seemingly just going through the motions, and that's down to both the players and Lovell to sort out.

Of course, I agree with the majority that Scally isn't helping things at the moment, but I just can't buy this notion that if Lovell keeps us up in 20th place it's some "remarkable achievement".

What sort of defensive coaching is Cox doing?

SL I like as a bloke very much but he is not a number 1.

Last chance now to recruit a coach who can galvanise this team which should be at least safe mid table.
He's on radio kent tonight at 9pm.

Put a call in?

Nibbles comment on finishing 20th being a success is depressing, but sadly bang on the money. If we don't get relegated this season it's just a matter of time until we do. We have been in shit situations plenty of times before but I've never known such apathy from the supporters. If we were to drop to league 2 I think it will be a long time before we came back up under this current set up .
Staying up for me is not what i want my team to be aiming for. I want a team capable of getting in the play-offs as a minimum.

The lack of investment in the squad is Scally's fault.

BUT if SL feels the squad is not good enough then you either resign or insist on more money and then resign when Scally says no.

For me staying for a wage is a foolish option.

Let's be honest- Eaves, Parker, and Holy (when he's playing well) apart, we have a league two team competing in league one. It's only because of the team's work-rate, tenacity, and tendency to play out of their skins when needed that we've been able to upset bigger teams in this division (taking six points from Pompey being a good example).

And the combined team effort and industry is the only reason why we stand a fairly slim chance of avoiding relegation. The team effort has come about through the defiant management style of Steve Lovell.

At the beginning of this season, nearly every supporter of every other team in our division believed we were odds-on favourites for the drop. We only made one signing and that was Josh Rees from Bromley. The writing was then on the wall that we were going to struggle. I won't go into the fact that there has been chronic under-investment in the playing squad as that's already been covered. Lovell allegedly said himself that thought he would be gone by October because he wasn't given any money to spend on the players. The fact that he is still at the club would suggest that he is doing well despite the adverse environment he is managing within at Gillingham Football club.

However, the very fact that we are outside of the relegation places in spite of the lack of spending down to Steve Lovell, even if the tactics post-match justification(s) have been questionable.

Were we to sack Lovell and, say, bring in Neil Harris (who is on the verge of resigning from Millwall or will be sacked when they next lose), we would probably improve in the short term but he wouldn't be given the funds required to build/rebuild the squad and we would still likely be relegated, if not this season, then definitely next season.