Sons Awards | Page 2 | Vital Football

Sons Awards

Alli lost it three years ago, and you must have your head buried in the sand to think otherwise. Since then its been successive seasons of unprecedented crap. Two moments of what is expected don't come close to erasing oceans of ineptitude.

A moment of what is expected. ? Who else would you expect to do that flick. Only a few have and Dele has done it twice. Gazza only once that I can remember.

Son has, whether agreeable or not, been our biggest overall contributer this season. 11 goals, 10 assists. His goal against Burnley was brilliant. Messi has done similar in his time and it would be disingenuous to not offer Son the same praise.

Its not been the best season and that does show when thinking of the competition against Son in player of the season. Lloris for sure deserves a mention, as does Lo Celso and (dont hurt me) Sissoko, who I think worked harder than anyone when everything truly was going to crap.

I think Kane has had a relatively on/off season and I wish I could mention Moura (who has had a pretty tough season in all fairness) but he's still too inconsistent.

Son is the clear winner for me and deserves the goal of the season because that goal was an exceptional solo effort.

A moment of what is expected. ? Who else would you expect to do that flick. Only a few have and Dele has done it twice. Gazza only once that I can remember.

I would expect players better equipped than Alli to produce moments of quality more often. Many of his displays over the last three years belong in the league we purchased him from, no disrespect intended.

To be fair, Hugo has played out of his skin since the return post Covid.

I love how he's mixing it up and not always playing out from the back.

Some top drawer saves that are as good as goals scored.

Everyone else up until the last few games have been very Vanilla.

Not great BUT eleven PL assists as well as 11 goals in 29 appearances, and 5 goals in 6 in CL. They are pretty good stats. He has had a few bad outings and can be very frustrating at times, but there hasn't been another player who has had as much impact throughout the season. His consistent goal record in Harry Kane's absence just about kept our season afloat.
Very simple, spot on there.

Hugo and only because he is the only one that showed leadership on the pitch. (when he was about to kick the shit out of Son at half time!)

The rest did their jobs...and not very well mind you...but ONLY Hugo showed leadership, something we sorely lack.

Again only once...but hell more than anyone else has done.

Interestingly divisive topic this which brings bees out of their bonnets (otherwise known as often repeated opinions) concerning individual players but I’m going to play safe and say N’Dombele.

Kane is overlooked because we've seen him reach higher levels and his injury ruled him out for a while but really if any other player scored 23 goals in an injury hit season we'd be remarking it as astounding and worthy of the award.

Son was our top assister by far and 2nd top scorer so a worthy winner if you discount Kane. And his goal was insane Def goal of the season.

Hugo has been superb since restart. Gio has shown a few motm performances but not in convo for me for pots.

I am in the process of compiling all the players ratings posted on the Player Ratings thread for this season. It will be interesting where Son comes.
On Sons goal of the season by MOTD, I didnt even think it was the best goal by a Spurs player as John Lennon would say.
Yes he ran a long way fast. But he had 2 heavy touches and the defenders were crap. It was more a case of....the opponents let it happen. My vote for best goal went to Alli for his flick over the head of the defender and half volley finish, pure technical skill. Sons was just brute pace and luck.

I will give Kane credit...he closed the last 3-4 games pretty strong. But unfortunately we need him to be a tad more consistent than that. But then again we need rotation and right now we have none.

I will give Kane credit...he closed the last 3-4 games pretty strong. But unfortunately we need him to be a tad more consistent than that. But then again we need rotation and right now we have none.

As an ex striker, rotation is never a good thing. To keep in form, you need to play week in week out. If you dip in form then dropping normally results in a spiraling of form and confidence. A dip normally may only last for a game or two. I tried to keep my goals per match over 1, which got harder as the season progressed until I hit a hatrick or two. MMmmmm those were the days.:sneaky:
The replacement striker takes time to get up to match fitness and respectable form. It becomes a lose lose for everyone.

Having said that, I totally agree, along with the majority of global Yids, that we need fully fledged red hot goal scoring Kane back up in case of injury......which is when, rather than if.

I have posted the final ratings on the Player Ratings thread which represents a whole seasons opinions on players performances. Son did not come out top.

Here's Nick's overall season ratings. I hope you don't mind if I transfer them here ... what's that? You don't mind at all, well cheers man! lol

Here are the final average ratings for 16 players collated from mainly posters on here and some media reports. It took some doing but it was my goal right from the start. The findings are that mostly the ratings will be in the 5 bracket. To score in the low 5s or 4s you have to be poor. To score in the 6s you need to be very good.
There are some anomalies or perhaps misrepresented scores due to a smaller number of games by for example Bergwijn and Ndombele.
In order of merit.

Kane 6.38
Lo Celso 6.25
Alli 5.80
Lloris 5.75
Dier 5.70
Lamela 5.70
Winks 5.68
Son 5.65
Moura 5.61
Toby 5 60
Sanchez 5.52
Sissoko 5.36
Bergwijn 5.35
Ndombele 5.16
Davies 5.03
Aurier 4.66

The lower scores are fairly predictable. I voted for Kane as my player of the season not Son and that is backed up by these ratings. All the info is within this thread of you want to collate yourselves. Lamelas score is possibly artificially high due to lack of games possibly although he is fairly consistent anyway with his performances.

If Player of the season had gone to someone else, I probably would have reacted the same way I did when I heard Son got it. Just shrugged my shoulders because no one was robbed of the prize. No one really stood out this season, so I just can't feel one way or another about this. I'm sure if any other player got the nod there would be similar threads questioning it. Hopefully next season we'll have a much higher quality competition for this award.

Fair play to you for the effort you put in to compiling this though. Kudos.

I looked at Kanes overall contribution. Not only goals, assists and build up play but leadership and defending ( which he does well from set pieces ). My gut feeling was that he had contributed more and been consistent in doing so. This was before compiling the ratings. Sons misdemeanors also counted against him. The red cards due to loss of temper and the consequences.