Sons Awards | Vital Football

Sons Awards

Nick Real Deal

Vital Football Legend
While I dont begrudge Sonny and his awards. Best goal and best player of the season ? The trouble is it's hard to come up with better candidates but I just feel a little underwhelmed. Yes is was a great goal and a long run but was it the best, technically and constructed ?

He certainly wins the best goal award. Don't agree he has been our best player though.

I would give it to Hugo.

He certainly wins the best goal award. Don't agree he has been our best player though.

I would give it to Hugo.

Yes I did consider Hugo also Kane. If Son is the deserved winner of the player award , is it by default because nobody else has come to the fore and shone ? Perhaps the most improved player is a more interesting award.

Just throwing one into the hat for best goal. Dele Alli's Gazzaesque flick over the defender and shot on half volley to score against Man U.
Sons was good but the defending was abject to let him run that far. He took 2 heavy touches but got away with it. Deles was sheer invention and execution.
Worth noting that Dele also assisted a superb Aurier volley goal from the right wing. Both Deles goal and assist were from this season for those that think he has lost it.

No way our player of the season, although thinking about it I can't really think who's had a better season lol maybe Kane, Lo Celso, Lloris? Although all 4 of those players have had bad moments through the season. I'd have scrapped the awards this season haha

I'm glad someone else has doubts over it. It's not just me !!

29 PL appearances 11 goals, not great ? 2 or 3 red cards ? Resulting in unavailability and 10 men .
Not great BUT eleven PL assists as well as 11 goals in 29 appearances, and 5 goals in 6 in CL. They are pretty good stats. He has had a few bad outings and can be very frustrating at times, but there hasn't been another player who has had as much impact throughout the season. His consistent goal record in Harry Kane's absence just about kept our season afloat.

This discussion says it all really. Normally you would have a few contenders for player of the season and the disagreements/discussion would be about who merits it most. But here we're struggling to put forward even one genuine contender.

My player of the season would be Gio and have loved Japhet's emergence under Jose.

If Son has scored 11 goals, then take 3 off for the ones he's cost us with his ball watching and failure to track back in time.

This discussion says it all really. Normally you would have a few contenders for player of the season and the disagreements/discussion would be about who merits it most. But here we're struggling to put forward even one genuine contender.

I agree, its who pokes his head above the parapet the most out of a mediocre season. Sons selfishness, red cards and poor defence contribution for me , prevents him getting the award. Hugo or Kane perhaps deserve it more.
The most improved player of the season is a tough one and perhaps with more contenders. Hugo, Dier, Tanganga, Moura ?

My player of the season would be Gio and have loved Japhet's emergence under Jose.

If Son has scored 11 goals, then take 3 off for the ones he's cost us with his ball watching and failure to track back in time.
I could vote for Lo Celso if he played enough games but he didn't really get going until late in 2019. Perhaps if the criterion was a minimum number of games rather than a whole season?

Just throwing one into the hat for best goal. Dele Alli's Gazzaesque flick over the defender and shot on half volley to score against Man U.
Sons was good but the defending was abject to let him run that far. He took 2 heavy touches but got away with it. Deles was sheer invention and execution.
Worth noting that Dele also assisted a superb Aurier volley goal from the right wing. Both Deles goal and assist were from this season for those that think he has lost it.

Alli lost it three years ago, and you must have your head buried in the sand to think otherwise. Since then its been successive seasons of unprecedented crap. Two moments of what is expected don't come close to erasing oceans of ineptitude.