Son (Spurs-Everton PL) Red Card | Vital Football

Son (Spurs-Everton PL) Red Card

Colin Is The King

Alert Team
Following on from comments in the 2019/20 Rolling Results thread page 105, was Son's straight red card the correct decision or a over reaction given the severity of the injury suffered by Gomes?

Atkinson, the referee, seemed to have prepared to take a yellow out of his pocket, but I wonder if the VAR (Alty fan Taylor) then intervened, and the decision changed?

Suspect it was for the 'endangering an opponent' angle, and I wonder if Spurs have any grounds to appeal, given that Son will now miss three games?

If we're, as a rule, taking this viewpoint, is a little nudge on a player who then collides with, for example, a goal post, or advertising board, (think that happened to Gomez of Liverpool at Burnley last season), also going to receive the same punishment?

I did see one comment from a former pro that it was a yellow, not red, card.

I watched the game too as you know and my take on it was a reckless tackle deserving of a yellow which I think was his second so he should have gone anyway (But one game only). However his tackle pushed him into the path of the oncoming Aurier and a combination of that collision and that his foot seems to have stuck in the ground causing the break.
it seems to me that the desperation of players to win every game at all costs is now the direct cause of some very dangerous play, not just limb breakers but head injuries too.
The stakes are so high in the game today.

I've only seen it the once and cannot recollect...............did he go off his feet?

My initial reaction was that it was from behind and that he had gone to ground so my view at the time was it could have been reckless and endangered Gomes even without the presence of Aurier. However Atkinson had pulled the yellow card out and then replaced it do I do think you are correct in the involvement of VAR. They may have taken all the circumstances together to conclude that the tackle endangered an opponent but on the face of it, without the severity of the injury, a yellow would 9 times out if 10 seemed the most likely, correct, decision.

I think Son would not have been able to carry on in any event as he was clearly distraught. Poch would have had to sub him.

I think it was a yellow, and the ref was influeced by the injury. Until we get A.I. drones as reffs we will never get fair decisions on the field. Son is not a dirty player, it was just one of those injuries that can happen at any time.