🚹 Son Heung-Min - Player Thread | Page 12 | Vital Football

🚹 Son Heung-Min - Player Thread

I've always considered myself to be amongst Sonny's biggest fans, but do agree with most of your comments. Son is a wonderful player when at the top of his game, one of few Premiership players who can turn a game with moments of individual brilliance. His scoring and assists record at Spurs speaks for itself. Unquestionably however, the physical side of the game is a huge weakness, whereby he spends far too much time on his backside, making pointless appeals to the referee, which sometimes look quite ridiculous. The whole over reaction and petulance shown in response to what are often fairly innocuous challenges, is a massive weakness in his game, which if he and his management can't sort out, will potentially destroy his career. As for the perceived selfishness and cockiness, I have a different view. Son is at his best as a provider, scorer and team player when HK is in the side. When Harry is out, Sonny gives the impression that he feels the expectations of the management, team and fans are all on his shoulders. Consequently he tries too hard and makes bad decisions, ultimately to the detriment of the team, irrespective of the goals he scores.
And yet last season he seemed to thrive on the responsibility. I'm thinking particularly when Kane had his first significant injury of the season (Jan 2019) and after Son returned from the Asian Games (or equivalent) a week or so later. He literally carried our attack in the next few weeks scoring a few important goals. And when he wasn't scoring he always looked likely to. And he did pretty well in Kane's second injury spell prior to the Champions League final.

He's always been a streaky player. Perhaps it's that rather than the weight of responsibility?

And yet last season he seemed to thrive on the responsibility. I'm thinking particularly when Kane had his first significant injury of the season (Jan 2019) and after Son returned from the Asian Games (or equivalent) a week or so later. He literally carried our attack in the next few weeks scoring a few important goals. And when he wasn't scoring he always looked likely to. And he did pretty well in Kane's second injury spell prior to the Champions League final.

He's always been a streaky player. Perhaps it's that rather than the weight of responsibility?
Fair comment, the difference I believe however is the changed circumstances of the Club. Going back to January of last year our 'decline' hadn't started, we were still considered, and had been playing like a PL top three Club. Even at the time of Kane's late season injury that you refer to, we were still in the top four, still in the CL, and the manager albeit somewhat unpredictable, still had a motivation to take the team to the ultimate achievement of winning the CL. The circumstances in the Club are now very different, top four extremely unlikely, new manager, new tactics, and the Chairman right now is probably not a happy chappy. Whether it is down to the atmosphere within the Club few will know, but currently there looks to be very little confidence out on the field, a number of players look very low on confidence, and Son epitomises that more than most.

Fair comment, the difference I believe however is the changed circumstances of the Club. Going back to January of last year our 'decline' hadn't started, we were still considered, and had been playing like a PL top three Club. Even at the time of Kane's late season injury that you refer to, we were still in the top four, still in the CL, and the manager albeit somewhat unpredictable, still had a motivation to take the team to the ultimate achievement of winning the CL. The circumstances in the Club are now very different, top four extremely unlikely, new manager, new tactics, and the Chairman right now is probably not a happy chappy. Whether it is down to the atmosphere within the Club few will know, but currently there looks to be very little confidence out on the field, a number of players look very low on confidence, and Son epitomises that more than most.

Could be that incident where the other player was injured.

S&J, i'd say our decline started last game of 2018 - loss of 1-3 to Wolves when leading up until 70th minute. January losses to Utd, and Chelsea and Palace in the cups. so we were 4th in the league (about to ride on the previous good work, not current form) where others were also losing, and in the CL, but i believe the decline started late 2018. not sure if it changes your point though...

I'd love to know what goes through Sonny's head when their second goal happens. He is in the same space as Redmond as the ball is headed out. He doesn't put in the same sprint as the Saints player. He then holds back as Winks tries to intervene and then stops altogether as Redmond breaks free. He is then close to the half way line as the ball hits the net. Not once did he ever try to match Redmond or get into a position to get the ball.

This stuff makes me sick and why I feel for Jose with the inherited squad. If that's me then Sonny is watching that with the analysts in front of the entire group and explaining himself. He'd also be thrown into holding midfield for a couple of training sessions with me screaming at him every time he misses a tackle or is iuyt of position.

I've enjoyed his 4 in 4 at a critical time of the season, but that terrible attitude needs knocking well and truly out of him if we are ever going to be like a Liverpool or City and be winners. Could you imagine Bernardo Silva or Firminho being that lazy?

Unfortunately Mutters too many of our players think they are world class. IMO aside from Kane which is now debatable we don't have one worldie.

Top class players not only work the hardest but when in possession they rarely give the ball away. Regardless of what style of football being played.

I think Lo Celso has the ability to be that guy. He ticks them boxes. Just needs experience.

Ings doesn't get that goal via Redmond if Sissoko is on the field. In the amount of seconds that elapsed while Redders carried the ball, Sissoko is back to deal with either the runner or the pass.

I'd love to know what goes through Sonny's head when their second goal happens. He is in the same space as Redmond as the ball is headed out. He doesn't put in the same sprint as the Saints player. He then holds back as Winks tries to intervene and then stops altogether as Redmond breaks free. He is then close to the half way line as the ball hits the net. Not once did he ever try to match Redmond or get into a position to get the ball.

This stuff makes me sick and why I feel for Jose with the inherited squad. If that's me then Sonny is watching that with the analysts in front of the entire group and explaining himself. He'd also be thrown into holding midfield for a couple of training sessions with me screaming at him every time he misses a tackle or is iuyt of position.

I've enjoyed his 4 in 4 at a critical time of the season, but that terrible attitude needs knocking well and truly out of him if we are ever going to be like a Liverpool or City and be winners. Could you imagine Bernardo Silva or Firminho being that lazy?

Incidents like this with Son, and others. I hope Jose watches the game back with the players and asks them to comment/explain why they stopped running/didn't pass /didn't track back etc etc. For me these things are a massive issue, unless and until we (mostly) get this addressed and sorted, we will just be a nearly club....
So for example if Son or Lucas repeatedly explain they thoughts that could go it alone and score....they need to see that the team comes first and not personal acclaim/glory. Because to me that's what they are looking for...

Ings doesn't get that goal via Redmond if Sissoko is on the field. In the amount of seconds that elapsed while Redders carried the ball, Sissoko is back to deal with either the runner or the pass.

Nope. Not gonna do this. It's amazing how players get better when they're injured. Amazing how we forget the clear negligence of Sissoko for keep vacating that centre midfield space and leaving his defence exposed over and over again.

If Sissoko had been directly involved i.e. been in the same position as Winks or Son then he would have done a better job. There would be no guarantee that he would be in the same postcode though when the ball hits the net if he was up for Gedson's cross.

Nope. Not gonna do this. It's amazing how players get better when they're injured. Amazing how we forget the clear negligence of Sissoko for keep vacating that centre midfield space and leaving his defence exposed over and over again.

If Sissoko had been directly involved i.e. been in the same position as Winks or Son then he would have done a better job. There would be no guarantee that he would be in the same postcode though when the ball hits the net if he was up for Gedson's cross.
Granted that he vacates space but he always sprints back as soon as an the opposition launch attacks from their half.

Granted that he vacates space but he always sprints back as soon as an the opposition launch attacks from their half.

Actually, what was interesting to me last night was the quiet effectiveness of Dier back in that midfield slot. Even without his previous levels of fitness and mobility his brain still operated really well. In fact for that goal, he was one of our big guys in the opposition box for the original corner with Japhet staying back. He was also one of only 4 players back in our 18 yard box as they scored. He overtook the rest on his way back and sprinted box to box.

I really hope Jose keeps working on Dier's fitness levels but there was promising signs last night. I'd have a fit Dier over a fit Sissoko in that position all day long as he enables other players around him. I just don't see that in Sissoko who plays more his own game.

Actually, what was interesting to me last night was the quiet effectiveness of Dier back in that midfield slot. Even without his previous levels of fitness and mobility his brain still operated really well. In fact for that goal, he was one of our big guys in the opposition box for the original corner with Japhet staying back. He was also one of only 4 players back in our 18 yard box as they scored. He overtook the rest on his way back and sprinted box to box.

I really hope Jose keeps working on Dier's fitness levels but there was promising signs last night. I'd have a fit Dier over a fit Sissoko in that position all day long as he enables other players around him. I just don't see that in Sissoko who plays more his own game.

I'm still hoping that Josie puts him where he'd be a starter for England, at CB.

I'm still hoping that Josie puts him where he'd be a starter for England, at CB.

lol - starter for England at centre half. Well that makes him about Championship level then !!!

Don't disagree though. Whilst he's exposed a few weaknesses over the years at centre half, he's never committed to the role. Nobody can really tell what level he is at that position.

CB or nothing for me now. He will never be first choice here though. We have better players all over the pitch..

One of Sonny's greatest, often underestimated, qualities is his relentless running for ninety minutes in every game he plays. He consistently puts pressure on opposing defences, never better illustrated than against Villa. Other players rarely provide assists for Son goals, he creates his own chances. We are very fortunate to have a player who is a consistent match winner, irrespective of his overall form.

Sure many won’t agree

But thought he was terrible today

A shit pen that he got lucky on the rebound on and 6 chances to score 1

Not to mention his selfish play

Sure many won’t agree

But thought he was terrible today

A shit pen that he got lucky on the rebound on and 6 chances to score 1

Not to mention his selfish play
I thought he was awful. But better than Dele and Lucas.
What I like about him is that he didn't hide. And he scored the winner. So he gets a pass. Just.