🚹 Son Heung-Min - Player Thread | Page 11 | Vital Football

🚹 Son Heung-Min - Player Thread

Get the feeling the front 4 are told to do what ever they want and play by gut with a few exceptions when tracking back.

Great to see and 16 goals in 5 games is a great return

As I said, we have goals in us everywhere - our issues in defence now pale into insignificance, just as I said they would if Jose manage to get players to have confidence in their and their teammates abilities again.

Jose probably told the front group..."Do whatever the fuck you have to do....I will worry about the rest"

I am not Son's biggest fan. Only because if I played alongside him I think I would lose it with him as he is to goal hungry and that makes him hold on to the ball to long and just go for the shot. Yesterday's goal was amazing.
You are right P jones that is exactly what I have been thinking. Watch his reaction after Kane's first goal he expected Kane to pass back to him, nevertheless he should have cheered after Kane scored. He is a very good player if he mixes with being a team player he will be an excellent player

Lucas actually defended like a beast. He has never done that here. That is down to Jose.

He has certainly let them express themselves which is what all good teams and managers do. But they still defend as a team.

As Jose said it's a collective effort.

This is interesting though...

However, per WhoScored, he endured a quiet performance other than his goal.
He had 41 touches of the ball, the lowest number of any Spurs player to start the game, had just one shot on goal and completed a mere 15 passes.

While one of those was a key pass, Lucas completed three dribbles, was dribbled past once and was also dispossessed once.

(https://www.footballfancast.com/pre...ar-lucas-deficiencies-on-show-against-burnley)

So for me, the work rate was definitely a lot better and that doesn't reflect in their stats. What will be interesting to see is if Jose can take him through more levels though as his output still needs to improve to Son's level. Then we're cooking on gas.

This is interesting though...

However, per WhoScored, he endured a quiet performance other than his goal.
He had 41 touches of the ball, the lowest number of any Spurs player to start the game, had just one shot on goal and completed a mere 15 passes.

While one of those was a key pass, Lucas completed three dribbles, was dribbled past once and was also dispossessed once.

(https://www.footballfancast.com/pre...ar-lucas-deficiencies-on-show-against-burnley)

So for me, the work rate was definitely a lot better and that doesn't reflect in their stats. What will be interesting to see is if Jose can take him through more levels though as his output still needs to improve to Son's level. Then we're cooking on gas.

Jose certainly seems to like him. He does have a good skill set. His problem has always been his work rate and consistency.

Jose has quickly tried to address these two areas.

One thing is clear an attacking quartet of Son, Dele, Lucas and Kane is unplayable when they are all on song.

Going forward I'm good with these guys being number 1 picks. The question I'm more intrigued about is who are the back up options for them guys?

Jose certainly seems to like him. He does have a good skill set. His problem has always been his work rate and consistency.

One thing is clear an attacking quartet of Son, Dele, Lucas and Kane is unplayable when they are all on song.

Going forward I'm good with these guys being number 1 picks. The question I'm more intrigued about is who are the back up options for them guys?

I think we have a few emerging options actually. Clearly Sess, Lo Celso and Parrott play upfield and have a bunch of potential. Don't know enough about Clarke who will return at some point. It's not as if we would be replacing all 4 in one go so I'd happily see someone like Sess rotate with Son or Moura to see what happens. Gio looks versatile as well. His performance on the right against Red Star was fantastic and we know he can play the Dele role. Then there's Lamela. I think we're all intrigued to see if Jose tolerates his constant injury absences.

Lastly, can't wait to see Eriksen go now. Be interesting to see whether Jose signs an attacking replacement or just focuses back on defensive reinforcements.

This may sound very controversial to some, but we might have another Eriksen on our hands coming up. Jose needs to make an example of Son for his pulling out tackles, going through the motions defensively and generally playing with a superiority complex over his team mates.

The guy needs bringing down a peg or two. I had to watch it live with my own eyes today. I tell you something and if Jose had the old Chelsea squads of 12 years ago then Son would have got the hook after 30 mins of today's game. He might have scored, but he played with absolutely no minerals.

Last edited:

Going forward none of these guys is good enough to be no1 picks – Son, Alli, Lucas and Lamela is average mate. None of them would make it into the pool, citeh teams. Somehow, we need to flip it around and make these guys back up options or sell a couple to get better. Lo Cel, N’dom are upgrade steps; we need more.

This may sound very controversial to some, but we might have another Eriksen on our hands coming up. Jose needs to make an example of Son for his pulling out tackles, going through the motions defensively and generally playing with a superiority complex over his team mates.

The guy needs bringing down a peg or two. I had to watch it live with my own eyes today. I tell you something and if Jose had the old Chelsea squads of 12 years ago then Son would have got the hook after 30 mins of today's game. He might have scored, but he played with absolutely no minerals.

I have been saying this for a while . He is greedy and does think he is superior. The amount of times I watch him run down blind allies looking to shoot from ridiculous angles when players in better positions . People look at him as this smiling happy player that gets on well with everyone. Until things go wrong then he shows his frustrations . Having been sent off for his petulance this season.He really does need knocking down a peg or two he is not the only one though we have a few

I think there is a general frustration around Son at the moment simply due to the fact that his form has taken a dip.
I dont know if this is due to Jose or the natural cycle of how form and confidence and decision making works in players.
What I do think is that we took a £20 million punt on a player back in 2015 and he has punched way above expectations season on season.
He seems popular around the place and you never hear about any off field problems both here and whilst on international duty. I will forgive the silly handshakes.
If Jose can work on him to improve his scoring and assists that will be a bonus.
Behind Harry I also imagine he is our biggest commercial asset player wise - I wouldn't be throwing the baby out with the bathwater over a dip in form over the last few months.
He has got us out of some holes over the years - if he needs the fans support its the least we can do.
(I am aware that I called him feckless and that he deserves shooting during the match yesterday - heat of the moment - sorry Sonny)

...I will forgive the silly handshakes.....

As well you should. Those silly celebrations brought camaraderie & spirit & a cohesiveness this team currently does not have. Looks silly maybe, but what's behind it, and how those things foster that kind of team mentality should never be discounted.

This guy is great. Immensely talented, super bright, infectious attitude, blindingly quick AND fast on the ball, and can make some almost mystical goals. He also has the awareness of a 2yr old in the blinding mist of an overload attack, let alone a breakaway. Its really astonishing.

There have been sooooooo many times where all he had to do was slide the ball thru to his right and his teammate has a tap-in, only for him to get squeezed and freak out and blast some bullshit to the heavens...... Of the course the obligatory hands to the face look of astonishment on his mugg, followed by the wave to the other 2 dudes, standing on the six, that are pissed he fuked it up again....

He plays like he's entitled.

Might use some serious competition for place this guy. Hmmmm. :grinning:

Love him tho.

As well you should. Those silly celebrations brought camaraderie & spirit & a cohesiveness this team currently does not have. Looks silly maybe, but what's behind it, and how those things foster that kind of team mentality should never be discounted.

This guy is great. Immensely talented, super bright, infectious attitude, blindingly quick AND fast on the ball, and can make some almost mystical goals. He also has the awareness of a 2yr old in the blinding mist of an overload attack, let alone a breakaway. Its really astonishing.

There have been sooooooo many times where all he had to do was slide the ball thru to his right and his teammate has a tap-in, only for him to get squeezed and freak out and blast some bullshit to the heavens...... Of the course the obligatory hands to the face look of astonishment on his mugg, followed by the wave to the other 2 dudes, standing on the six, that are pissed he fuked it up again....

He plays like he's entitled.

Might use some serious competition for place this guy. Hmmmm. :grinning:

Love him tho.

Very well put.

I've always been a fan of Son, but there are 2 or 3 things that bug me.

The first is his total lack of aggression. He pulls out of tackles and goes in weakly for headers. That's the Eriksen bit I was talking about. Ultimately Son is 6 ft and there is no need for him to be such a coward when the going gets tough.

The second is his attitude towards defending. Jose selected Moura to play right up top and he selected Son to play down the left channel. He just constantly looked at the overload on Tanganga and did nothing about. I watched with my own eyes. 27 years old, and clearly thinks it's beneath him to dig in when we're a goal up. He also wastes so much energy sprinting back desperately when he's once again out of position. That takes its toll at the end of games and everyone is quick to say what a hard worker he is. Yes, he works hard but never works smart.

Lastly, related to both the above is his inconspicuousness in some away games. This season again he has three quarters of his goals at home again.

What probably bugs me more is that the club haven't coached him on these things. Perhaps he's uncoachable, but I doubt that. He needs to first sit with someone like Sacramento and a video screen and see it for himself. Son is the one that should be doing the talking in front of the video screen as it is paused, replayed and discussed. He needs to see it for himself. I've always felt that he is playing beneath his ultimate ability and probably care less about the selfishness and not picking the right pass than I do about the problem he creates our entire left side when selected.

I do worry that he now thinks he's billy big bollocks and, like Eriksen, is playing for the glory moments rather than the team. I hope Jose does what Poch never managed and gets it sorted. There is an immense player in there somewhere but we need him home and away.

I've always been a fan of Son, but there are 2 or 3 things that bug me.

The first is his total lack of aggression. He pulls out of tackles and goes in weakly for headers. That's the Eriksen bit I was talking about. Ultimately Son is 6 ft and there is no need for him to be such a coward when the going gets tough.

The second is his attitude towards defending. Jose selected Moura to play right up top and he selected Son to play down the left channel. He just constantly looked at the overload on Tanganga and did nothing about. I watched with my own eyes. 27 years old, and clearly thinks it's beneath him to dig in when we're a goal up. He also wastes so much energy sprinting back desperately when he's once again out of position. That takes its toll at the end of games and everyone is quick to say what a hard worker he is. Yes, he works hard but never works smart.

Lastly, related to both the above is his inconspicuousness in some away games. This season again he has three quarters of his goals at home again.

What probably bugs me more is that the club haven't coached him on these things. Perhaps he's uncoachable, but I doubt that. He needs to first sit with someone like Sacramento and a video screen and see it for himself. Son is the one that should be doing the talking in front of the video screen as it is paused, replayed and discussed. He needs to see it for himself. I've always felt that he is playing beneath his ultimate ability and probably care less about the selfishness and not picking the right pass than I do about the problem he creates our entire left side when selected.

I do worry that he now thinks he's billy big bollocks and, like Eriksen, is playing for the glory moments rather than the team. I hope Jose does what Poch never managed and gets it sorted. There is an immense player in there somewhere but we need him home and away.
I've always considered myself to be amongst Sonny's biggest fans, but do agree with most of your comments. Son is a wonderful player when at the top of his game, one of few Premiership players who can turn a game with moments of individual brilliance. His scoring and assists record at Spurs speaks for itself. Unquestionably however, the physical side of the game is a huge weakness, whereby he spends far too much time on his backside, making pointless appeals to the referee, which sometimes look quite ridiculous. The whole over reaction and petulance shown in response to what are often fairly innocuous challenges, is a massive weakness in his game, which if he and his management can't sort out, will potentially destroy his career. As for the perceived selfishness and cockiness, I have a different view. Son is at his best as a provider, scorer and team player when HK is in the side. When Harry is out, Sonny gives the impression that he feels the expectations of the management, team and fans are all on his shoulders. Consequently he tries too hard and makes bad decisions, ultimately to the detriment of the team, irrespective of the goals he scores.

I've always considered myself to be amongst Sonny's biggest fans, but do agree with most of your comments. Son is a wonderful player when at the top of his game, one of few Premiership players who can turn a game with moments of individual brilliance. His scoring and assists record at Spurs speaks for itself. Unquestionably however, the physical side of the game is a huge weakness, whereby he spends far too much time on his backside, making pointless appeals to the referee, which sometimes look quite ridiculous. The whole over reaction and petulance shown in response to what are often fairly innocuous challenges, is a massive weakness in his game, which if he and his management can't sort out, will potentially destroy his career. As for the perceived selfishness and cockiness, I have a different view. Son is at his best as a provider, scorer and team player when HK is in the side. When Harry is out, Sonny gives the impression that he feels the expectations of the management, team and fans are all on his shoulders. Consequently he tries too hard and makes bad decisions, ultimately to the detriment of the team, irrespective of the goals he scores.

What I also noticed was that it wasn't that Son didn't see the danger defensively. he absolutely did. He kept looking over but never sat in the right space. The worst thing you can do is just go and mark as they've taken you out of the game, but it was if he couldn't see that he was selecting really bad defensive positions. It was that or he was choosing to ignore the problem because he didn't want to do it. That's why I was getting mad with him as he wasn't acknowledging that Jose had put Moura furthest forward and he was the one chosen to play in the left channel. That comes with that defensive responsibility.

You might be right about expectations offensively. What's clear to me is that it is very hard to have Son and Moura in the same eleven.