So Wilder clearly thinks we can and will lose every game | Page 2 | Vital Football

So Wilder clearly thinks we can and will lose every game

SBT, stop it lad. No need for us to turn on each other. Was I upset to lose 0-2 to Liverpool - no, not this season. I hate losing but I understand where we are with
fit players. Says alot that I thought Kean was our best defender.

Having a different opinion on what I've seen and heard isn't turning on anyone chips. My point here is that you appear to be of the 3 wise monkeys school of supporter whereas I am delighted to praise when appropriate but also able to call it for what it has been allowed to become for all the reasons I and others have put out there on numerous occaisions.

Agree with all your comments.
The 'humble club' started wearing thin last season for me.
Too big for league 1 and even the championship. Get to the prem and it's 'little old Sheffield United'.
Don't really know what to think anymore. Looks pretty obvious CW will be at the Lane next season. I will more than likely renew mine and my sons season tickets. No improvement after 10 games then the prince makes a decision, if he doesn't, then clearly he has also lost the plot!
I first posted about the above prior to the first lockdown when all seemed well in the Blades world.

It really pissed me off when he constantly tried to align us with clubs half our size and also belittled our players by inferring that they were league one/ Championship level and needed to play out if their skin every game to get a result. I just couldn’t see how it could benefit the club or the players, only himself.

I suspected back then then that having players and staff alike in awe of him and his successes was probably how he’d managed for most of his career but I just couldn’t see how it would work long term in the top tier dealing with players who were basically now millionaires. He’d have to have had some success at this level to get the same total respect and belief from the current crop.

Our Chris has a lot of thinking to do before next season starts.

Having a different opinion on what I've seen and heard isn't turning on anyone chips. My point here is that you appear to be of the 3 wise monkeys school of supporter whereas I am delighted to praise when appropriate but also able to call it for what it has been allowed to become for all the reasons I and others have put out there on numerous occaisions.
I'm in the 'keep CW' camp and expect the Prince to back him (or sack him) he can't
keep him and keep his hands in his pockets. Perhaps he'll just tell him to sell and then buy but add nothing to the pot?

Agree with a lot of it - but you're going too far with some of it.
The squad we got up with, which we loved, and we loved last year, is the squad that is not worth a bean. 'The Pub Team from Sheffield'. Are you blaming Wilder for that also? We're you saying this last year, or the year before.......because I am pretty sure there wasn't a bad word re the likes of Enda, Bash, Norwood etc then. Too easy to do it now when things go wrong.

Recruitment yes, we've made some mistakes (not howlers) - but the money wasn't there at the level required to get the players wanted.

We are going down - a lot of teams do second season, but I hope we come back stronger - like Norwich will. Is Wilder the right man - not sure.
I dont think anyone else would get what CW got out of those players over the past 3 seasons Aya but you can only turn water into wine once.
That wine's now corked, stale, lost it's legs, out of balance and turning sour.

I just can't see those players, based on current performances, doing it again.

So the question is CW with different players or someone else with those players?

There won't be much money for incomers- unless we can get some money for those we have ( Lundstram anybody???- I know he's out of contract but you get the principle) and , if I was the prince I'd be telling him that he has to balance the transfer budget to cost zero.

I think it will be a lot bleaker than many imagine. Bouncing back- which way?
Up or down? I fear it's that bad.

I've just accepted this club will always find a way to fuck things up, no matter what - it's just something in the DNA, it's a phenomenon. And I'm pretty much past caring. Fell asleep after 20 minutes last night. Didn't have to, it was just preferable.

If we can fuck things up this badly with a manager who is/was perfect for us then what hope do we have. Why bother? Why waste hope, thoughts, time, money and the rest on it. And now we're the fucking 'rainbow club'. Why should I give a shit about it? What a monumental waste of time. Don't know if I'll turn up again when stadiums open like a muggy c**nt but this non attendance period could well have got me out of the habit.

I've just accepted this club will always find a way to fuck things up, no matter what - it's just something in the DNA, it's a phenomenon. And I'm pretty much past caring. Fell asleep after 20 minutes last night. Didn't have to, it was just preferable.

If we can fuck things up this badly with a manager who is/was perfect for us then what hope do we have. Why bother? Why waste hope, thoughts, time, money and the rest on it. And now we're the fucking 'rainbow club'. Why should I give a shit about it? What a monumental waste of time. Don't know if I'll turn up again when stadiums open like a muggy c**nt but this non attendance period could well have got me out of the habit.
Because we are Blades. I've watched them in Div4 so I'll watch them in the dying embers of this season. Roll on next season.

Gray, you been a Blade in worse times than this (but hoped you never be there again like me).
That’s very true Chippy. I used to love listening to Wilder‘s interview’s probably more than any manager we’ve ever had but now they seem painful to watch and repetitive.

I don’t like jumping on bandwagons mate and I hate constant moaning, people basically saying the same things over and over again, but there are comments on this thread that are spot on my friend. There is no way that I’d change my view on Wilder being in charge at the start of next season at this stage but boy does he need a rethink on how he’s going to reinvent himself and his style. We MUST hit the ground running as well though or I fear for him.

That’s very true Chippy. I used to love listening to Wilder‘s interview’s probably more than any manager we’ve ever had but now they seem painful to watch and repetitive.

I don’t like jumping on bandwagons mate and I hate constant moaning, people basically saying the same things over and over again, but there are comments on this thread that are spot on my friend. There is no way that I’d change my view on Wilder being in charge at the start of next season at this stage but boy does he need a rethink on how he’s going to reinvent himself and his style. We MUST hit the ground running as well though or I fear for him.
I'll always say the same thing. You and I will back CW next season unless the man
decides to end him and then I really think we have a problem.

I dont think anyone else would get what CW got out of those players over the past 3 seasons Aya but you can only turn water into wine once.
That wine's now corked, stale, lost it's legs, out of balance and turning sour.

I just can't see those players, based on current performances, doing it again.

So the question is CW with different players or someone else with those players?

There won't be much money for incomers- unless we can get some money for those we have ( Lundstram anybody???- I know he's out of contract but you get the principle) and , if I was the prince I'd be telling him that he has to balance the transfer budget to cost zero.

I think it will be a lot bleaker than many imagine. Bouncing back- which way?
Up or down? I fear it's that bad.

I get that TT but I just think MNM's rant was over the top - yes, its a predicament - but it is what it is and I don't see the point in finding fault with the fact that our squad is worth very little - its the same squad that got us here in the first place.

Wilder needs to collect another point to avoid been on a par with Derby,then amass further points to be avoid being mentioned on a list of the poorest sides to grace the top division. Maybe he can avoid our lowest points total of 22 points in 1975/76 it wouldn't look good on his CV, buck up fella.

I still think next season is now more important than this although I would love us not to finish last.

Well tha’t back to thi moaning best JJ but I’ll tell you what you’ve pretty much nailed it there pal. Cant disagree with any of it. 👍

Hoofball bothers me GB
It really, really, really annoys the crap out of me

And what annoys me even more is it's always here at our club.

I won't watch it, I switch the channel after 10 minutes of watching us, I'll not turn up to watch it at the Lane.

It's my pet hate, footballers who are so incapable of passing a ball, controlling it, moving into space and receiving it back again are ten a penny.

Why do we consistently over decades attract players who are unable to do the most simple and basic thing required of a professional footballer ?

No other football fans are "treated" to such mind numbing boring, stupid shit.

Other teams might lose, they might have bad seasons and get relegated, but I don't know of any other professional football club that turns football into such an ugly spectacle as we do.

Hoofball bothers me GB

I won't watch it, I switch the channel after 10 minutes of watching us, I'll not turn up to watch it at the Lane.

It's my pet hate, footballers who are so incapable of passing a ball, controlling it, moving into space and receiving it back again are ten a penny.

Why do we consistently over decades attract players who are unable to do the most simple and basic thing required of a professional footballer ?

Other teams might lose, they might have bad seasons and get relegated, but I don't know of any other professional football club that turns football into such an ugly spectacle as we do.
It appears to be a Sheffield thing going on their matchday thread on NKT

I might be in the minority but I want SUFC to win games of football and compete for promotions, winning silverware might be a step to far. What style of football is used to achieve that comes secondary to me. Certainly two of our trips to the top table have involved what could be called hoofball. Maybe I'm easily pleased.

Hoofball bothers me GB

And yet lest we forget JJ, under Wilder for most of his tenure and even in the Premier League for the first half of last season, I think most Blades would agree that we’d seen the most entertaining football since the days of TC. We were practically bursting with pride.

So what went wrong do we think? Why did he change the way we play even before lockdown and losing the likes of JOC and Henderson?

And yet lest we forget JJ, under Wilder for most of his tenure and even in the Premier League for the first half of last season, I think most Blades would agree that we’d seen the most entertaining football since the days of TC. We were practically bursting with pride.

So what went wrong do we think? Why did he change the way we play even before lockdown and losing the likes of JOC and Henderson?
his arse fell out ,he didnt want to lose every week ,ermmmmmmmmmm

if ya remember in his interviews ,he said he was going to tweak it a little bit. he stopped playing with a maverick ,duffy type,and went with a more rigid type. the flow disapeared and we are now bottom and going down like a 10 dollar crack head

his arse fell out ,he didnt want to lose every week ,ermmmmmmmmmm
We weren’t losing though were we Twirls? We were top six or seven, passing it around and playing well. We didn’t score many but we weren’t defensive and definitely didn’t just lump it pal.

if ya remember in his interviews ,he said he was going to tweak it a little bit. he stopped playing with a maverick ,duffy type,and went with a more rigid type. the flow disapeared and we are now bottom and going down like a 10 dollar crack head
Seemed to start being more cautious about the time we played Man City and Liverpool on the bounce. I thought it was just for that run of games due to the class of opposition but we continued making games more of a battle right up to lockdown even though we still were getting results.

Last edited: