Votes: 6 8.6%
  • Delaney

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Low

Votes: 11 15.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Never thought he was overhyped, got the feeling we all wanted him to do well - particularly as it would mean the team was doing well. Haven't seen much of Wolves or Palace, so couldn't comment on their styles and whether it appeases the fans. Southampton were near the top this time last season and fell away so every team can have a good run, but the league won't lie in May. Therefore can't judge managers over 10 games - Dean has been judged on his last 40 games by all accounts.

You can't argue with being judged over a season, even if it's the second half of one and the first half of the next, when you're only yielding a point per game.

I guess the salient point about Wolves/Palace is that if our next 11 games yield as many points as they have this season so far then we likely won't be relegated and that's probably the job done - for now.

Thanks to the BOD's quick action, the new guy has more than the usual few months to turn the ship around so fingers crossed we're safe by March.

You can't argue with being judged over a season, even if it's the second half of one and the first half of the next, when you're only yielding a point per game.

I guess the salient point about Wolves/Palace is that if our next 11 games yield as many points as they have this season so far then we likely won't be relegated and that's probably the job done - for now.

Thanks to the BOD's quick action, the new guy has more than the usual few months to turn the ship around so fingers crossed we're safe by March.
7 wins and 3 or 4 draws are what we need . Won't be easy

Assuming of course that we have any interest in Gerrard at all. I would hope not. But looking at the crappy “shortlist” I’m hoping for someone not on that to appear from nowhere, completely under the radar.

Pretty likely IMO - unless it's Nuno.

Aside from pep and klopp, are there any certainties? Moyes was sacked at Sunderland, Rodgers failed at Liverpool - but both have come good.
It's all about being the right fit at the right time. So I would much sooner go for a manager who has had top credible flight to success e.g. Martinez or Fonseca, as opposed to a star player with fewer credentials such az Gerrard

Aside from pep and klopp, are there any certainties? Moyes was sacked at Sunderland, Rodgers failed at Liverpool - but both have come good.
It's all about being the right fit at the right time. So I would much sooner go for a manager who has had top credible flight to success e.g. Martinez or Fonseca, as opposed to a star player with fewer credentials such az Gerrard

Nope.

Gerrard could come in and have us in 8th place by Xmas then get us relegated next season.

Pep could come in and have us relegated by February.

All you can do is try and get the best fit for the the longer-term and cross your fingers for good luck.

DS was the right guy at that time and had a bit of luck but not the right guy for this time and had pretty shit luck IMO and on and on it goes - way too many variables for anything to be perfect at any given point in time.

One things for sure... Us fans, as a collective really haven't got a clue.

A lot of us wanted Lambert.

We've all clamoured for exotic names in the past too. Rijkaard, Laudrup, De Boer, Koeman etc... Where are they all now?

Choosing a manager is 95% pot luck I reckon, and as previously said a lot of the time it's not always about a manager being good or bad, just whether they fit the club.

I won't get too happy or too angry either way. Gotta trust the guys paid to make the desicion...... So long as its not Scott Smarmy Parker then I'm off! 😂

So right about it being luck. As I said earlier, we would have turned our nose up at Moyes a while back, but he has fit West Ham nicely and is doing a great job.

When we appointed JG I was gutted, he was at a lowly placed Wycombe in the Championship and George Graham, Terry Venebales and other big names were available, but when he first came, it was a breath of fresh air.

So whoever it is that comes, we have to hope for the same don't we!

So right about it being luck. As I said earlier, we would have turned our nose up at Moyes a while back, but he has fit West Ham nicely and is doing a great job.

When we appointed JG I was gutted, he was at a lowly placed Wycombe in the Championship and George Graham, Terry Venebales and other big names were available, but when he first came, it was a breath of fresh air.

So whoever it is that comes, we have to hope for the same don't we!

Most impressive for me with JG was that he came in and didn't act intimidated by being at VP in that position having come from the mighty Wycombe.

Any manager from a lower league could come and do a job for us but they'd have to have a pair of JG sized balls on them to pull it off.

Gerrard is not an upgrade on Smith. Nor is Potter, Nuno or Martinez. The owners have always cited ambition and progress and they now have a chance to flex their muscles and really make a statement.

Dream appointments perhaps, but would love us to go for -

Rogers - yes a tall order and would need us to sell him our vision for the Club, not to mention the hefty fee it would cost to get him out of Leicester, but Rogers is a proven winner and it's not like he's at a Champions league Club. He won't be there forever.

Unai Emery - Aside from the hiccup at the Gooners the man is a top manager, managed top clubs, managed top players and if the owners ambition is for Villa to grab a UEFA league spot he's the man you want to make progress in that competition. He may have turned down Newcastle but he did have talks, so I'm not so sure he's closed the door on a return to the Prem

Mancini - ok doubt he would even consider the move and I'm sure he will want to add a world cup to his euro win but a man who kicked off the City revolution, respected worldwide and kicks ass when he needs too. He plays good attacking football too.

Erik Ten Hag - has got his team playing lovely football, champions league semi-finalist, highly respected and is taylor made to bring his style of play to the Prem. Again, only a matter of time before he's snapped up by a Club with real ambition.

If it's true that the owners want us to compete at the top end of the league we will be in the mix fighting for Europe with Benitez, Conte, Arteta, Moyes and Rogers. We need a proven winner. Not a rookie or a manager with promise. Villa is a very attractive club for the right manager who can see the potential. We should think big.

Most impressive for me with JG was that he came in and didn't act intimidated by being at VP in that position having come from the mighty Wycombe.

Any manager from a lower league could come and do a job for us but they'd have to have a pair of JG sized balls on them to pull it off.

Did you ever read his autobiography? He said he thought he would be hated (because so many big names were being linked) so might as well just go for it. And go for it, he did!

Gerrard is not an upgrade on Smith. Nor is Potter, Nuno or Martinez. The owners have always cited ambition and progress and they now have a chance to flex their muscles and really make a statement.

Dream appointments perhaps, but would love us to go for -

Rogers - yes a tall order and would need us to sell him our vision for the Club, not to mention the hefty fee it would cost to get him out of Leicester, but Rogers is a proven winner and it's not like he's at a Champions league Club. He won't be there forever.

Unai Emery - Aside from the hiccup at the Gooners the man is a top manager, managed top clubs, managed top players and if the owners ambition is for Villa to grab a UEFA league spot he's the man you want to make progress in that competition. He may have turned down Newcastle but he did have talks, so I'm not so sure he's closed the door on a return to the Prem

Mancini - ok doubt he would even consider the move and I'm sure he will want to add a world cup to his euro win but a man who kicked off the City revolution, respected worldwide and kicks ass when he needs too. He plays good attacking football too.

Erik Ten Hag - has got his team playing lovely football, champions league semi-finalist, highly respected and is taylor made to bring his style of play to the Prem. Again, only a matter of time before he's snapped up by a Club with real ambition.

If it's true that the owners want us to compete at the top end of the league we will be in the mix fighting for Europe with Benitez, Conte, Arteta, Moyes and Rogers. We need a proven winner. Not a rookie or a manager with promise. Villa is a very attractive club for the right manager who can see the potential. We should think big.

https://astonvilla.vitalfootball.co.uk/the-big-names-that-should-be-in-the-frame-for-aston-villa/

This is a great shout…although if we dont move quickly he’ll end up at Manure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Simeone (sp?) would be game changing with our current owners to back him. Back to the real world, Graham Potter has Brighton playing decent football and a decent striker would see them top six. Villa fan or not,not bothered. Blues legend Gil Merrick was a Villan. Reluctantly agreeing that Dean going was the right call.

I like the idea of Potter, mainly because he plays good football. But last season , early on, Smith also seemed like the messiah. Im not sure whether he is genuinely good, or just having a golden patch.

Rightly or wrongly, I wanna see a bit of a b4stard in charge….someone ruthless.

Status
Not open for further replies.