So Who Do You Want As The New Manager....? | Page 8 | Vital Football

So Who Do You Want As The New Manager....?

England haven't produced a good manager since Bobby Robson. They don't produce good managers anymore. People are saying "he is better than Bruce". I'm better than Bruce

The only reason people like Bruce and Howe get work is due to the media and there must be some kind of incentive (brown envelope) to keep English managers in work.

I’m not sure what people expect given the position we are in. He is a decent coach and I like his honesty. Let’s give the bloke a chance it will take time it’s not suddenly going to get better. The life has been sucked out of the club in the last 14 years, that’s why people are expecting miracles. They need to think again the process will be slower than many envisage.

I’m not sure what people expect given the position we are in. He is a decent coach and I like his honesty. Let’s give the bloke a chance it will take time it’s not suddenly going to get better. The life has been sucked out of the club in the last 14 years, that’s why people are expecting miracles. They need to think again the process will be slower than many envisage.
I agree with everything you stated above and on a personal level I'm happy with the five to ten year plan for success.

I fully understand why people are asking questions though, as some have pointed out we are like a rudderless ship.

Can't recall Chelsea or Man City going through the same process although we could argue their infrastructures were not as decimated as much as ours.

Decent coach, nice bloke bla bla bla. Heard it all before and got us nowhere. We need a quality manager not a decent bloke. The media are keeping decent blokes in jobs they don't deserve. If ever we needed a really good manager, it's now to compensate for the lack of quality in the squad.

And here lies the problem? Bruce was chums with so many of the press that he was feted by some of them. Then you have managers like Nuno who was sacked by Spurs after just a handful of games for 'poor' results. It seems foreign mangers can be 'fair game' and little is said when they are cast aside.

Bruce was kept on for so long because of Ashley not the media. Nuno got the boot because they can attract top managers.

Decent coach, nice bloke bla bla bla. Heard it all before and got us nowhere. We need a quality manager not a decent bloke. The media are keeping decent blokes in jobs they don't deserve. If ever we needed a really good manager, it's now to compensate for the lack of quality in the squad.
I think anyone would struggle with the shit that has been left by Ashley that’s why these top managers so to speak are giving us a swerve. The damage is massive and is not going to be fixed over night. Most managers given our plight will not be interested until the ship is steadied. They will simply not take that gamble hence Eddie Howe and similar it’s just how it is.

Bruce was kept on for so long because of Ashley not the media. Nuno got the boot because they can attract top managers.
We all know why Ashley kept Bruce on. He wouldn't pay £8m to sack him and Bruce wouldn't walk away because of the £8m pension. Win win for both. As for Nuno, he is a top manager who after only 10 league games has been binned with the team in the last 8 of a cup and 9th in the table. Let's see if Conte can make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

I saw something the other day that had Bruce in some sort of a job for every one of the last 40 years or so. This beggars belief considering he's shite at his job and has seen countless relegation battles.

Howe on the other hand has done wonders in getting 4th division Bournemouth to be partly established in the Premier League plus laid the foundations of them knocking back on the door again but has been out of work for nearly a year and a half

Why does everything take so long at our place? Spurs changed their manager in a matter of days. Other clubs sign players in hours?

I said as soon as spurs sacked nuno that they'd have a manager before us. This lot couldn't run a bath. It's a good thing they have billions behind them. Don't underestimate the power of stupid people with a lot of money.

I think anyone would struggle with the shit that has been left by Ashley that’s why these top managers so to speak are giving us a swerve. The damage is massive and is not going to be fixed over night. Most managers given our plight will not be interested until the ship is steadied. They will simply not take that gamble hence Eddie Howe and similar it’s just how it is.

You're probably right but there are always exceptions. We were in a similar situation when Bobby took over, and let's not forget Emery supposedly agreed before choosing loyalty over money. It's actually good to see nowadays that not everyone can be bought.

You're probably right but there are always exceptions. We were in a similar situation when Bobby took over, and let's not forget Emery supposedly agreed before choosing loyalty over money. It's actually good to see nowadays that not everyone can be bought.

The differences between when Bobby got the job and now are incomparable - there was no change of regime and the club hadn't been decimated by 14 years of negligence and abuse

Where we are now is nothing like when Bobby took over

It's a fascinating argument Mc
my current stance is dictated by two factors.

The first is the question:

'are we better off than we were before the takeover'

the answer is undeniably yes just based on the fact we now all have hope.

The second factor is based on trust.

I choose to trust the new owners because I have to assume that the Saudis are desperate to promote themselves in a positive way, why else spend 300 million, it would make no sense for them to mess us around.

Those on the other side of the debate are spot on though.
At best we can only describe the current situation as a shambles, it's completely ridiculous that we have been bought by businessmen who appear to have no plan !

The good news is that they will (most likely) invest heavily in the club and the whole city and for that reason alone I will gratefully endure their incompetent start.

Reactions: Rza
The differences between when Bobby got the job and now are incomparable - there was no change of regime and the club hadn't been decimated by 14 years of negligence and abuse

Where we are now is nothing like when Bobby took over

I'm talking about league position and changing manager, attraction of the club etc. Obviously you could argue Robson had motives to come here but the team he inherited had a decent spine and a lot of rubbish surrounding it. So from a footballing perspective it has similarities. Not many would have took over us back then either.

At best we can only describe the current situation as a shambles, it's completely ridiculous that we have been bought by businessmen who appear to have no plan !

Spot on. My thoughts exactly

I can guarantee you spurs had made contact with various other managers before even sacking nuno then having their business done and dusted in no time. Whereas it seems these lot don't even have a plan B.

It's a fascinating argument Mc
my current stance is dictated by two factors.

The first is the question:

'are we better off than we were before the takeover'

the answer is undeniably yes just based on the fact we now all have hope.

The second factor is based on trust.

I choose to trust the new owners because I have to assume that the Saudis are desperate to promote themselves in a positive way, why else spend 300 million, it would make no sense for them to mess us around.

Those on the other side of the debate are spot on though.

The good news is that they will (most likely) invest heavily in the club and the whole city and for that reason alone I will gratefully endure their incompetent start.

I was merely making the point that when Robson took over it was a simple change of manager

A hugely popular choice coming in and taking over a squad with a boatload of potential from a manager who shot his bolt dropping Shearer

What is required now is a total rebuild - not just a few tactical changes on the pitch

Looking increasingly more likely that the Howe deal is about to collapse - depending on who blinks first

Yes, just read about to collapse due to problem getting his own staff. Nothing is ever easy with this club. negotiations take forever and the club is just not set up professionally The new owners have money but that appears all, When are they going to appoint a Director of Football never mind a Manager. I hope they pull their finger out because taking our time etc from Staveley is wearing thin.