So what next? Who stays? Who goes? Who comes in? | Page 10 | Vital Football

So what next? Who stays? Who goes? Who comes in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zaha's output isn't really all that for a winger. Plus he seems to be permanently holding out for one of Sky 6 to sign him

I wasn't though, I was saying we should be able to aim high, too many fans of Aston Villa these days dismiss the link to better players and say I say, managers, because 'they wouldn't come here'. If we acted big, we could attract big.
Know exactly what you were saying mate and totally agree just don't think Zaha is worth the money being quoted personally think he is fine being the big fish in a little pond I hope were aiming higher for the long term.

Zaha had a terrible season. Crystal Palace are trying to spark up a bidding war for him but I can't see many clubs being interested in spending more than 20m on a 27 year old out of form winger with dwindling pace.

I dont want us to start pulling an Everton and signing big names that used to be good five years ago.

Some players you just want to sell while the iron is hot, Wenger knew exactly when to do it.

Berahino at WBA comes to mind, should have turfed him out when they had the chance and I don't think that hindsight they knew his attitude and personality.

Zaha has a good attitude but he'll be 28 in November and he doesn't want to be at a team that's happy to sit midtable. Let him go before he gets injured, buy your few players to lock in your midtable mediocrity.

Berahino at WBA comes to mind, should have turfed him out when they had the chance and I don't think that hindsight they knew his attitude and personality.
Is he the one who went down to London on deadline day and never got his dream move to QPR, then went to Stoke and couldn't get a game for them?

Zaha had a terrible season. Crystal Palace are trying to spark up a bidding war for him but I can't see many clubs being interested in spending more than 20m on a 27 year old out of form winger with dwindling pace.

I dont want us to start pulling an Everton and signing big names that used to be good five years ago.
This..... It's a fine balance of getting experience, but not spunking money on players that have already peaked... Zaha was an abject failure at ManUre, and if we aspire to being as good as them, then he's not the right player for us....

Zaha is a definate step up in quality to El ghazi and Trez.

He went to Manure too early after ridiculous hype that is bestowed on young players in this country.
Walcott..... Oxlade Chamberlain....

Now bags of premier league experience aswell.

Would be very pleased to sign him. A next level signing in my humble.

And 27 is not too old.

Last edited:
Zaha is a definate step up in quality to El ghazi and Trez.

In fairness if we had him and Grealish we'd give a couple of teams outside the big two a run for the money for most dangerous wide players.

Zaha would have reached his potential much quicker if Ferguson was still around. Moyes took an immediate dislike to him.

According to some report on talksport today, ManU have a 25% sell on fee for Zaha, which is why Palace are asking for exorbitant amounts. Terrible decision to agree to that

That's it. Not reading any more transfer rumours. Kelechi Iheanacho? 25million for this... 2019/20 .....30 matches (don't care if most were as sub).1 goal. 3 assists.

Here's my opinion on it all, which may be considered dull and lacking ambition by some, or sensible and reasonable by others.

To provide background and context, I was of the belief at the start of the season we were going to be a bottom six club (based on a number of factors, including the player turnover) and it was whether we were in the top or bottom half of that group. Fortunately, we just, stayed above the line.

With the effect of coronavirus on the game as a whole, along with the shortened pre-season, I would not be keen on seeing wholesale changes to the squad. Players will have less time to become embedded and aware of the system Smith wants to impart, whilst they may also be moving into the area (if abroad will this mean spending two weeks in quarantine?). In addition, as much as it was a gamble I wasn't entirely a fan of, those players we had last season do now have a season of Premier League nous and experience which will hopefully be of benefit in the long-term. Also, we cannot keep rebuilding a squad year after year!

To me, we need to build slow and steady, and whether the impatience of modern football will permit that, time will tell. I would consider finishing in the 10th-14th bracket this upcoming season as positive. As such, I am looking at where I would target recruits based on this positioning.

Right now are squad consists of:

GK: Heaton, Kalinic, Nyland, Steer
DF: Bree, Elmohamady, Engels, Guilbert, Hause, Konsa, Mings, Targett, Taylor
MD: El Ghazi, Grealish, Hourihane, Jota, Lansbury, Luiz, McGinn, Nakamba, Trezeguet
ST: Davis, Hogan, Samatta, Vassilev, Wesley

I believe to improve the squad and ensure we don't get caught out by the turnaround that we should look at 4 (potentially 5) signings when working off Smith's favoured 4-3-3 formation:

1. Striker: I don't think there's necessarily as much grief needed to be given to our strikers than what is currently spouted, particularly when none of them all season have had any worthwhile competition. if you find a player who can bag you the 10-15 bracket, you're in with a shout. Wesley might achieve that, but it's asking a lot of someone coming back from a long-term injury. I'd keep Samatta too as his start was lively, but he may have needed six months to get up to speed (as many foreign imports do). Alas, I am not a Davis fan and never have been. He needn't have to be prolific, but he has to score sometimes and he just doesn't, even when presented with great opportunities. I would cash in on him and Hogan and have Wesley and Samatta as my two alternatives to a new man.

2. Wingers: this is actually two signings in one department. Do I see the likes of El Ghazi and Treeguet as good enough back-up options off the bench? Yes. Do I like the idea of them as first-choice options for another season? No. I would like us to find two players that are both an upgrade on what we have already to play on either flank. This is also based on the thought process that Jack is probably more likely to go than stay. Although, even if he does stay (fingers crossed), I'd still invest in two and let Jota move on to find regular game time elsewhere.

3. Midfielder: This would be an upgrade on Hourihane, who I like but don't see as making the impact sufficiently across a 38 game season (he is ideal against the likes of Newcastle, Palace, etc). Someone that is dynamic and offers some creativity is the mould I'd maybe consider. A new addition would also help cover the loss of the option of Jack slotting in there when need be should he depart. I would try to move Lansbury on, as I just don't see what he offers (but I guess most clubs see that too!).

4. The Back 5: Honestly, I don't see too much needing to be done here. Am I happy with Guilbert and Targett as full-backs for a bottom mid-table team? Yes. Likewise with Elmo and Taylor as understudies. There is no point replacing anyone unless you are improving the starting XI, that's how it should be, we cannot be wasting funds out on back-up full-backs! Bree could be let gof he wants. I'm not a Hause fan, but as an understudy for Mings, he'll do. I like Konsa and I was a big fan of Engels at the start of the season so would keep them both on. If there was a good opportunity available, of course I hope the club take it, but it's down on the list for me. Same with the 'keepers. Heaton, Steer and Nyland are good enough as a trio (although it's all dependent on Heaton's recovery). Kalinic needs to leave for his own career prospects, particularly internationally.

It should be noted, this whole plan is based on the Premier League keeping the 25 man squad and maybe being sensible (unlikely I accept) in not invoking the 5 substitution rule next year. I would probably only try to shift Kalinic and Hogan in that scenario.

My squad would therefore be :

GK: Heaton, Steer, Nyland
DF: Elmohamady, Engels, Guilbert, Hause, Konsa, Mings, Targett, Taylor
MD: El Ghazi, Grealish, Hourihane, Luiz, McGinn, Nakamba, Trezeguet +3
ST: Samatta, Wesley +1

Supplemented with youngsters like Ramsey and Vassilev when needed.

As mentioned it's all about upgrading the first team, not replacing those that sit on the bench currently. Bring in quality, not quantity this summer; build on the experience of the season just gone and I think we may be able to grow and prosper over time and have this club back at the top where it belongs!

Here's my opinion on it all, which may be considered dull and lacking ambition by some, or sensible and reasonable by others.

To provide background and context, I was of the belief at the start of the season we were going to be a bottom six club (based on a number of factors, including the player turnover) and it was whether we were in the top or bottom half of that group. Fortunately, we just, stayed above the line.

With the effect of coronavirus on the game as a whole, along with the shortened pre-season, I would not be keen on seeing wholesale changes to the squad. Players will have less time to become embedded and aware of the system Smith wants to impart, whilst they may also be moving into the area (if abroad will this mean spending two weeks in quarantine?). In addition, as much as it was a gamble I wasn't entirely a fan of, those players we had last season do now have a season of Premier League nous and experience which will hopefully be of benefit in the long-term. Also, we cannot keep rebuilding a squad year after year!

To me, we need to build slow and steady, and whether the impatience of modern football will permit that, time will tell. I would consider finishing in the 10th-14th bracket this upcoming season as positive. As such, I am looking at where I would target recruits based on this positioning.

MD: El Ghazi, Grealish, Hourihane, Jota, Lansbury, Luiz, McGinn, Nakamba, Trezeguet

I believe to improve the squad and ensure we don't get caught out by the turnaround that we should look at 4 (potentially 5) signings when working off Smith's favoured 4-3-3 formation:

1. Striker: I don't think there's necessarily as much grief needed to be given to our strikers than what is currently spouted, particularly when none of them all season have had any worthwhile competition. if you find a player who can bag you the 10-15 bracket, you're in with a shout. Wesley might achieve that, but it's asking a lot of someone coming back from a long-term injury. I'd keep Samatta too as his start was lively, but he may have needed six months to get up to speed (as many foreign imports do). Alas, I am not a Davis fan and never have been. He needn't have to be prolific, but he has to score sometimes and he just doesn't, even when presented with great opportunities. I would cash in on him and Hogan and have Wesley and Samatta as my two alternatives to a new man.

2. Wingers: this is actually two signings in one department. Do I see the likes of El Ghazi and Treeguet as good enough back-up options off the bench? Yes. Do I like the idea of them as first-choice options for another season? No. I would like us to find two players that are both an upgrade on what we have already to play on either flank. This is also based on the thought process that Jack is probably more likely to go than stay. Although, even if he does stay (fingers crossed), I'd still invest in two and let Jota move on to find regular game time elsewhere.

3. Midfielder: This would be an upgrade on Hourihane, who I like but don't see as making the impact sufficiently across a 38 game season (he is ideal against the likes of Newcastle, Palace, etc). Someone that is dynamic and offers some creativity is the mould I'd maybe consider. A new addition would also help cover the loss of the option of Jack slotting in there when need be should he depart. I would try to move Lansbury on, as I just don't see what he offers (but I guess most clubs see that too!).

4. The Back 5: Honestly, I don't see too much needing to be done here. Am I happy with Guilbert and Targett as full-backs for a bottom mid-table team? Yes. Likewise with Elmo and Taylor as understudies. There is no point replacing anyone unless you are improving the starting XI, that's how it should be, we cannot be wasting funds out on back-up full-backs! Bree could be let gof he wants. I'm not a Hause fan, but as an understudy for Mings, he'll do. I like Konsa and I was a big fan of Engels at the start of the season so would keep them both on. If there was a good opportunity available, of course I hope the club take it, but it's down on the list for me. Same with the 'keepers. Heaton, Steer and Nyland are good enough as a trio (although it's all dependent on Heaton's recovery). Kalinic needs to leave for his own career prospects, particularly internationally.

It should be noted, this whole plan is based on the Premier League keeping the 25 man squad and maybe being sensible (unlikely I accept) in not invoking the 5 substitution rule next year. I would probably only try to shift Kalinic and Hogan in that scenario.

As mentioned it's all about upgrading the first team, not replacing those that sit on the bench currently. Bring in quality, not quantity this summer; build on the experience of the season just gone and I think we may be able to grow and prosper over time and have this club back at the top where it belongs!

Nicked!

https://astonvilla.vitalfootball.co...ow-villa-should-approach-the-transfer-market/

Pretty good analysis. So long as we bought quality I'd go with that. It's quality we need; stick at the current level and we'll suffer next season. Couple of thoughts.

Was against signing Reina, but with form of Heaton and Steer an open question I wouldn't be against having him back for another year.

We need backup for Jack, as much as for injury as him leaving. Luiz might be an option. If not I'd buy somebody of Jack's level if possible. That would give us 2 Jacks on the field :wahey:

4. The Back 5: Honestly, I don't see too much needing to be done here.

I don't mean to offend but I honestly can't tell if you're on the wind up or not.

I'm guessing not as it was an extremely long post and you don't get many people going to that time and effort for a wind up.

I just don't get it though. You're aware we conceded 67 goals this season? The 2nd worst in the league. How on earth can you say we don't need to strengthen defensively and keep a straight face?

Very confused.

Keep:

Heaton
Mings
Guilbert
Douglas
Konsa
SJM
Grealish

Ditch:

The rest

Heaton
Mings
Douglas
SJM
Grealish

I'm struggling to see past those five, although I'm a bit of a fanboy of Nakamba's tbh.

Top exits for me are Ghazi & Wesley, however, if we can ever get rid of those muppets that is.

Another half a dozen players at c£20m each then? Must be doable if they'll blow the TV money again this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.